Elias' obsession

seak05

Elias is obsessed with mediocre LH bench bats. First we had Phillips, then Frazier, now Hicks, and O'Hearn. Even Vavra, who is at least through the fam system and not a waiver claim. Meanwhile the RH hitters continue to tear up Triple-AAA

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Elias is obsessed with mediocre LH bench bats. First we had Phillips, then Frazier, now Hicks, and O'Hearn. Even Vavra, who is at least through the fam system and not a waiver claim. Meanwhile the RH hitters continue to tear up Triple-AAA

I believe that Varva was acquired from COL in a trade for Givens. But quick question, you said “at least through the farm system and not a waiver claim” what difference does it make where the players come from? Do you want only players through the farm? If so why?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I believe that Varva was acquired from COL in a trade for Givens. But quick question, you said “at least through the farm system and not a waiver claim” what difference does it make where the players come from? Do you want only players through the farm? If so why?

Waiver claims are generally players that have been given chances at the ML level and not succeeded. Vavra had been successful at Triple-A before being called up. That's the difference. And I'm I'm not saying never claim anyone off of waivers, but a contending team shouldn't generally be regularly bringing in and relying on other teams cast-offs during the season. 

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Waiver claims are generally players that have been given chances at the ML level and not succeeded. Vavra had been successful at Triple-A before being called up. That's the difference. And I'm I'm not saying never claim anyone off of waivers, but a contending team shouldn't generally be regularly bringing in and relying on other teams cast-offs during the season. 

Hicks is here because Mullins is injured and Cowser was not able to come up due to injury. I agree that Phillips was horrible and didn’t make any sense to be on the team. But Frazier was not a waiver claim but a FA. And he’s been pretty decent thus far.