The season is 40% over and the O’s are on pace for 102 wins…

Frobby

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

We discussed this offline, and while you softened the tone towards the end, you literally wrote, " I feel the mood of the board is overwhelmingly negative.   Just constant whinging about roster construction, the cheap owners, the daily lineups, etc."  and "It’s a very good team, created by Elias and steered by Hyde, and I’m very happy with how the team is run and content to let the professionals do their jobs without believing I could do it better."

So as you can see, you took two very big shots at the board as a whole and insinuated we should just let the professionals do there jobs without "believing you could do better," which means, don't question them.

Now it's over, and we can move on, but at the end of the day, all discussion and opinions are welcome and should not be labelled as whining if they mention something that might not be perfect. I don't want anyone to feel they can't have a complaint or concern without being labelled a whiner. We can still love where the team is and have concerns or things to discuss.

Frobby is not alone with the perception expressed in the OP. This board is often consumed with posts that go out of the way to be negative. They often feed off each other. “This signing was horrible, so and so is a terrible defender, the team has done nothing to improve over the off season, So and so is toast…why did we sign him?, Elias can scout but he is in over his head as a GM…etc…” It’s been funny to watch the team win despite how terrible everybody is. lol

If we disagree with the negative posters, we are Fanboys, Elias apologists and now, Frobbyites and Facebook posters. Who is telling whom how to fan?

Not one poster has said others cannot criticize the team or whatever. Maybe just asking fellow fans to realize the great season the Orioles are having. I do take long breaks from this site these days. I suppose the negative posts lead to more clicks and hits from the Twitter-like masses, not from me. It didn’t used to be this way. Too bad. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Frobby is not alone with the perception expressed in the OP. This board is often consumed with posts that go out of the way to be negative. They often feed off each other. “This signing was horrible, so and so is a terrible defender, the team has done nothing to improve over the off season, So and so is toast…why did we sign him?, Elias can scout but he is in over his head as a GM…etc…” It’s been funny to watch the team win despite how terrible everybody is. lol

If we disagree with the negative posters, we are Fanboys, Elias apologists and now, Frobbyites and Facebook posters. Who is telling whom how to fan?

Not one poster has said others cannot criticize the team or whatever. Maybe just asking fellow fans to realize the great season the Orioles are having. I do take long breaks from this site these days. I suppose the negative posts lead to more clicks and hits from the Twitter-like masses, not from me. It didn’t used to be this way. Too bad. 

I agree that this is true of the main board, but the Game Threads have been ridiculously panicked or cynical for over a decade. It used to drive the late ScOtt--after whom they are now named--crazy and he would have to sign off to avoid the aggravation.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

” It’s been funny to watch the team win despite how terrible everybody is. lol"

As one who has been labeled in the past, I should probably take a pass on this thread. But, that's never been my style. Here we have a thread - started with I think good intent - hoping for some positive discussion at this point in the season - that instead reverted to what kind of fan we are. Why on Oriole's Hangout does that even matter? I'm here because through all the noise, I get the best Oriole info both major and minor leagues anywhere. And it is not for sure censored!  If you want to challenge what I think - that's fair game. But I'll be the kind of poster that fits me not someone else. I don't judge nor come here to be judged.

Back to the quote. I raised the question several times in other threads and I do so again. Seriously, can someone explain to this old man how we can be as good right now as we are when you statiscally review our lineup and pitching. How in the heck do we have the third best record in all baseball when you consider our infield as a whole - our outfield as a whole - and our pitching as a whole? Early in the Buck years, the national media said luck? I am utterly amazed at our record and having a fun year but like many long O's fans - HOPE IT CONTINUES!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I've enjoyed at times in the past the reverse jinx, no chance type threads, but I hope we're coming to a run of Orioles baseball we can call a pause on those.     Let the other teams fan boards write them about us.

This October, our A lineup, against the best pitchers in the world...still not a No Chance scenario.    Even if we're down 0-1 in Minnesota and....oooh scary....Joe Ryan or Pablo Lopez is pitching.     Never mind in another October or two when all the other high 1st rounders are in the mix.

i agree. We don't need those types anymore. The orioles should be a team that no team wants to play any longer. That's a good thing.

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

You take long breaks but have no issue with coming back to bash the tone of the board? Interesting take. You were a good poster, but now you seem to have become very fragile like some others. It's a discussion board, it's going to get a little heated at times. 

If you don't like discussing the Orioles with people who may actually find some things that could be improved, go find a rah-rah board where you can all sit around and cheer together. It's really that simple. If it's hurts your feelings so much that you need to take long breaks from the site because of words, then I suggest some inward perspective more than worrying about what someone may call a group of fans.

As for the highlighted part, that's just total ridiculousness. No one, not a single person including me has called anyone any of that for simply disagreeing with a "negative poster."

I can always tell the people who never were in the military or really played on high level sports teams because they get so emotional over a simple term. Really, calling someone a Frobbyite, which I personally found funny when I wrote it, is telling people how to fan? lol Come one man, stop being so sensitive. It's not all that serious.

I've known Frobby on here for over 25 years and we have watched ball games together. He knows I respect him, but he also knows when we disagree, I'm going to call him on it like he calls me on it at times. Neither one of us grab our balls and go home because we're not children. We don't make post after post saying how the mean man called him a Frobbyite or fan boy. 

We might disagree in one thread, then be right back to supporting each other in another thread because afterall, this is a discussion board. 

So yeah, for those of you out there, and I'm not just talking to you, that needs breaks from the site because it's so negative (which is a joke in in of itself when you review the board as a whole), I guess you need to do what you need to do, but I'm not going to apologize for mixing it up sometimes.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You take long breaks but have no issue with coming back to bash the tone of the board? Interesting take. You were a good poster, but now you seem to have become very fragile like some others. It's a discussion board, it's going to get a little heated at times. 

If you don't like discussing the Orioles with people who may actually find some things that could be improved, go find a rah-rah board where you can all sit around and cheer together. It's really that simple. If it's hurts your feelings so much that you need to take long breaks from the site because of words, then I suggest some inward perspective more than worrying about what someone may call a group of fans.

As for the highlighted part, that's just total ridiculousness. No one, not a single person including me has called anyone any of that for simply disagreeing with a "negative poster."

I can always tell the people who never were in the military or really played on high level sports teams because they get so emotional over a simple term. Really, calling someone a Frobbyite, which I personally found funny when I wrote it, is telling people how to fan? lol Come one man, stop being so sensitive. It's not all that serious.

I've known Frobby on here for over 25 years and we have watched ball games together. He knows I respect him, but he also knows when we disagree, I'm going to call him on it like he calls me on it at times. Neither one of us grab our balls and go home because we're not children. We don't make post after post saying how the mean man called him a Frobbyite or fan boy. 

We might disagree in one thread, then be right back to supporting each other in another thread because afterall, this is a discussion board. 

So yeah, for those of you out there, and I'm not just talking to you, that needs breaks from the site because it's so negative (which is a joke in in of itself when you review the board as a whole), I guess you need to do what you need to do, but I'm not going to apologize for mixing it up sometimes.

I have missed the controversy in this thread but I just want to say I would be honored to be called a Frobbyite! 🤣

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

We discussed this offline, and while you softened the tone towards the end, you literally wrote, " I feel the mood of the board is overwhelmingly negative.   Just constant whinging about roster construction, the cheap owners, the daily lineups, etc."  and "It’s a very good team, created by Elias and steered by Hyde, and I’m very happy with how the team is run and content to let the professionals do their jobs without believing I could do it better."

So as you can see, you took two very big shots at the board as a whole and insinuated we should just let the professionals do there jobs without "believing you could do better," which means, don't question them.

Now it's over, and we can move on, but at the end of the day, all discussion and opinions are welcome and should not be labelled as whining if they mention something that might not be perfect. I don't want anyone to feel they can't have a complaint or concern without being labelled a whiner. We can still love where the team is and have concerns or things to discuss.

How is that different than labeling people fanboys or apologists? Or further name calling such people idiots? 

Frobbys claim was that the overwhelming tone of the board is negative, so any labeling about whining etc should be understood in that context. It is not that the opinion isn't welcome but it doesn't have to be repeated over and over. The idea that critics would feel unwelcome is hilarious when perhaps 80% of the content here is critical. 

• Upvote 1

For a social group like ours, just as corrosive as panic or pessimism are name-calling and attempts at verbal intimidation. I don't come here for Bronx-style trash talk. Most of us deal with enough confrontation and BS in our daily lives without having to fend it off or counter-yell in a baseball hangout.

• Upvote 1