Rays series II

Frobby

When the last Tampa series ended, the Rays were 29-9 despite losing 2 of 3 to the O’s.   After losing today, the Rays are 51-24.   So, they’ve gone 22-15 since then.  The O’s, who were 24-13 then, are 44-27 now, so they’re 20-14 since that Tampa series.   In short, both teams are still playing well, but not as well as they were at the time they last played.  

Looks to me like it’s:

Bradish (2-3, 3.90 ERA) vs. Glasnow (2-0, 3.43)

Wells (6-2, 3.20) vs. Bradley (4-3, 4.19)

None of those pitchers played when the teams faced off in May.  Both Wells (6.45 ERA lifetime vs. Tampa) and Bradish (10.24) have struggled badly against the Rays previously.  Glasnow on the other hand has given the Orioles fits,  posting a 2.08 ERA in 6 career starts against them.  The rookie Bradley has never faced the O’s.  

So, the O’s nave their work cut out for them this week.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

The Rays are playing an incredible, crazy .816 ball at home, 31-7. For me, it's hard to explain the discrepancy between that and their 20-17 road record. Are they built for success in their home park. Have they played an easier schedule at home thus far? The O's on the other hand have been very consistent in both home and away records. Let's hope the O's can get at least one.

4 hours ago, AlbNYfan said:

The Rays are playing an incredible, crazy .816 ball at home, 31-7. For me, it's hard to explain the discrepancy between that and their 20-17 road record. Are they built for success in their home park. Have they played an easier schedule at home thus far? The O's on the other hand have been very consistent in both home and away records. Let's hope the O's can get at least one.

Tampa Bay scores 5.84 runs/game at home, 5.22 on the road.  Their pitchers have allowed 3.53 runs/game at home, 3.73 on the road.   The Rays have outperformed their Pythagorean record by 3 games at home, but have underperformed it by 4 games on the road.   They are 9-5 in one-run games at home, 4-8 on the road.  So, I think you’d say there’s no one explanation.   Considering that the Trop is a pitcher-friendly stadium, I’d say it’s primarily that the offense has been better at home, and they’ve been better in close games at home.

• Upvote 1

Half their home season is nearly over. Taking an historic look at teams that finished at .800 or better home record for the season, the last was the '61 Yankees..M and M boys. You can try to explain the reason why it is happening with the stats and all, but IMO for this to be happening is very much an outlier (and hopefully begins to change Tuesday and Wednesday).

1 minute ago, AlbNYfan said:

Half their home season is nearly over. Taking an historic look at teams that finished at .800 or better home record for the season, the last was the '61 Yankees..M and M boys. You can try to explain the reason why it is happening with the stats and all, but IMO for this to be happening is very much an outlier (and hopefully begins to change Tuesday and Wednesday).

Sure it’s an outlier.   I’ve read some posts here suggesting (or suspecting) that the Rays may be doing something improper at their home park.  I personally doubt that.

If there’s any hope of catching the Rays then the O’s need to beat the Rays. 

Though, to win the AL East could imply that they’d line up at the No. 1 seed and the whole bye week thing doesn’t seem like a great idea in baseball. So I’d take the top wild card spot without any complaints. 

The combo of Sunday early on Peacock, double off-days Monday-Thursday, and day after night Tuesday-Wednesday gives this week almost an All-Star break kind of feel.     

5.5 days the only games are happening 18 hours apart.     Honestly this series presents itself as a nice possible practice rep for Ace relievers to enter games in atypical situations, something circumstance might compel in the tournament.    I would love if today they are just mad science prepping Felix to be first man out of the pen whether the SP covers 4 innings or 6 innings in 20 batters faced.     Something to alleviate the boredom.

Chasing an AL tournament berth, I believe the Seattle series is bigger this week than the Tampa one.     Julio's team is actually in a better spot now than they were before last year's big run, and Castillo-Kirby-Gilbert-Miller-Woo still looks scary here.