There's NO "holding the Mayo"

Roy Firestone

I know some of you are keeping an eye on Bowie's Coby Mayo....but take a closer look at his numbers.

Coby Mayo : 

He leads ALL minor leagues with 41 XBH 

Coby this week 11-22   4 2b   3hr 
370 for the month 
9  2b   1  3b   7 hr   480/ 735    1.215 

Oh, and by the way....Coby Mayo...I 21 years old...

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Hope he gets moved to AAA soon so he can start working on the 700 PAs he'll need to accrue to get called up. 

They can't, because they won't move the AAA players that are crushing it to the majors because they insist on player Frazier and Mateo almost every day. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

They can't, because they won't move the AAA players that are crushing it to the majors because they insist on player Frazier and Mateo almost every day. 

Hey now, Mateo and Frazier’s proven record of sub-.700 OPS play is too high a bar to expect the rookies to overcome 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Lol at the constant whining about the prospects who apparently should have broke camp with the team.  

Whining?  At this point in the season it's virtually impossible to make a persuasive argument for continuing to play Mateo and Frazier every day.  Who broke camp this season is about as relevant as Adam Frazier's veteranocity.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Big Mac said:

Hope he gets moved to AAA soon so he can start working on the 700 PAs he'll need to accrue to get called up. 

He will likely get the minimum 129 MLB ABs ( or whatever it is) next year so he can start 2025 with ROY eligibility.  

8 hours ago, Big Mac said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but I wonder if there isn't some truth to your point even so.  Cowser has the least minor league experience with 1591 total PA's but 359 of them at AAA.  Interestingly, Ortiz has 2324 PA's with only 142 in AAA and he's up already.  Westburg has advanced the quickest with 2286 total PA's of which 714 have been at Norfolk.  I don't see anything in there that warrants much of a conclusion other than what. most of us consider as logic is not particularly compelling to Mike Elias. 

Westburg has cleared your bar yet he still languishes even though the two positions he's most suited for are the ones the O's most need to improve and that is certainly reason enough for most of us to be as impatient as we've become.

Edit:  As I was writing this, I see that a thread was started letting us know that Westburg has been called up.  I will remain suspicious until it's clear that he's not going to be "Stowered", but I'll take this as genuine progress.

Maybe 700 PA is the threshold after all.

Edited by 24fps

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Lol at the constant whining about the prospects who apparently should have broke camp with the team.  

Today I learned that wanting to see exciting young prospects get opportunities = whining. Noted.

9 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I know some of you are keeping an eye on Bowie's Coby Mayo....but take a closer look at his numbers.

Coby Mayo : 

He leads ALL minor leagues with 41 XBH 

Coby this week 11-22   4 2b   3hr 
370 for the month 
9  2b   1  3b   7 hr   480/ 735    1.215 

Oh, and by the way....Coby Mayo...I 21 years old...

Roy, I'm sure you agree that the O's have lots of really exciting prospects still in the minors--Mayo, Holliday, Cowser, Westburg, Kjerstad...it's an impressive list.  Do you think the O's should hold on to all of these guys, or do you think they should look to include one or more of them in a trade for a legit #1 starter (assuming there is one available at the trade deadline)?  

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

Whining?  At this point in the season it's virtually impossible to make a persuasive argument for continuing to play Mateo and Frazier every day.  Who broke camp this season is about as relevant as Adam Frazier's veteranocity.

I would sit Mateo.  The persuasive argument is 3rd best winning percentage in MLB. 

• Upvote 1