O's tied with Rays in the "All Important Loss Column".

wildcard

Saying the Os haven’t been lucky with injuries is one of the most absurd things I have seen on here. 

I think the larger question is why. By that I mean, we are now looking at 1.5 seasons where the Orioles have been pretty healthy.  Are the Orioles doing something in terms of training, nutrition, etc…that is different than before and is really helping things or is this simply just a good string of luck?

Would love to hear about this. Seems like a good story for one of the local reporters to ask about.

14 hours ago, wildcard said:

Watkins cut his finger and has not recovered.  If he stayed healthy and pitched like he did in 2022 the O's may not even be talking about trading for pitching at the deadline.    Same can be said for Voth.

If any of Means, Watkins and Voth were healthy and pitching well the O's may not be talking about trading for pitching.   Same with Givens, Perez and Tate.   So injuries have played a big role in the O's trading for pitching at the deadline.

I think Watkins and Voth are utterly irrelevant to whether we acquire another starter.  We have at least six healthy guys who are better than either of them.  If we do acquire another starter, the point would be to improve the quality of the top 3 of our rotation, not to add depth to the back part.  

As to Means, we knew he was injured at the start of last winter, and we should not have built any plans around him pitching a single inning in 2023.   The average rehab from TJ is 12-18 months, with the midpoint being about 15 months.  The possibility that Means wouldn’t be back by the end of the year was completely foreseeable, even though we were hoping for a midsummer return.  And of course, nobody knows if he’ll be any good if and when he does return. 

I already agreed that the Givens/Tate injuries were a blow.  It’s not exactly unusual, though.   

According to my past research, the average AL East team loses 735 roster days to injury, excluding anyone who misses the whole year: 356 games from position players, 157 from starting pitchers, 222 from relief pitchers.   Right now, with the season 55% over, the O’s have lost 88 days for position players, 15 days for starting pitchers, and 143 days for relievers.   The injuries to our position players have been less than half what’s normally expected by this point, the stsrters less than 25%, the relievers just a little over normal.  Now, that excludes Means and Tate, but I used the same methodology to coming up with the averages as I did here.   Bottom line, we’ve been lucky on the injury front so far this season.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1