Marlins series

Just Regular

All six of these hosses cleared 80 innings in the first half as Clubs reorganize for 2nd Half Opening Day; their K-BB ranks among Active Roster guys.    At the All-Star break when Clubs mostly have about 90 games, only 76 pitchers got 80 IP.    In 2023, just a few pitchers per roster pace towards even 150 IP, the new 200.

(41) Kremer v. (51) Alcantara

(58) Gibson v. (6) Garrett

(40) Bradish v. (5) Luzardo

Their year has been excellent as well....if Elias and Ng have a match, its probably in a NOW for NOW scenario, with LATER balanced to the undercard.    Kim Ng will get to see Jordan Westburg and Colton Cowser for a weekend.

Garrett and Luzardo as a pair have had basically similar production to the Twins Joe Ryan and Pablo, and Sandy's having a bad year so far coming off the Cy Young, but everyone knows he's the alpha.

Tanner Scott and AJ Puk are probably the best 1-2 lefty relief punch in the game right now, so Gunnar, Cowser...giddy up.    Maybe James McCann starts 2nd half on some kind of good note.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Tanner Scott and AJ Puk are probably the best 1-2 lefty relief punch in the game right now, so Gunnar, Cowser...giddy up.    Maybe James McCann starts 2nd half on some kind of good note.

I hadn't noticed that Scott had "figured it out" this year. A 3.5 BB/9 compared to 5.5 BB/9 career will do that for you.

Both Garrett and Luzardo were really on a roll before the all star break.  Alcantara has been mysteriously inconsistent all season.  Garrett has been really good on the road (2.14 ERA), but Luzardo and Alcantara are much better at home.

One odd think about the Marlins, the have a decent team OPS and OPS+, but they don’t score a lot of runs (12th in the NL).  They are way better against LHP (.812 OPS) than RHP, so we can hope they struggle against our RH starters.   They also hit better at home than on the road.   

Overall, I like our chances to hold Miami down offensively, so let’s see what version of the Orioles’ offense shows up.  

47 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I'd love to see the O's trade for AJ Puk.

Imagine a bullpen with "the Mountain" and "the Puk."

Seriously, Puk reminds me of a young Josh Hader. 

Puk is literally one year younger than Hader. 

• Upvote 1

The ever-mercurial Dean Kremer on the mound tonight with the team wearing the cursed City Connect unis. 

Who is a good past Oriole comp for Dean Kremer? I really can't figure this guy out. Is there another 4.78 ERA pitcher out there who you feel could also have a good chance to give you 7 shutout innings? 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

The ever-mercurial Dean Kremer on the mound tonight with the team wearing the cursed City Connect unis. 

Who is a good past Oriole comp for Dean Kremer? I really can't figure this guy out. Is there another 4.78 ERA pitcher out there who you feel could also have a good chance to give you 7 shutout innings? 

Domingo German is 5-5 with a 4.32 ERA and just recently threw a perfect game. 

Best I can do to answer your question. I love the description that Kremer is "ever-mercurial." Spot on!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I love the description that Kremer is "ever-mercurial." Spot on!

I don’t think he’s that mercurial.  He had a bad April.  Since then, he’s been decent to excellent in 10 of 12 starts, with a 3.95 ERA in that stretch.  I’d be very satisfied if he replicated that over his final 14-15 starts (assuming he stays healthy).  Some of his peripheral stats suggest that may be difficult, but I’ll look on the sunny side.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think he’s that mercurial.  He had a bad April.  Since then, he’s been decent to excellent in 10 of 12 starts, with a 3.95 ERA in that stretch.  I’d be very satisfied if he replicated that over his final 14-15 starts (assuming he stays healthy).  Some of his peripheral stats suggest that may be difficult, but I’ll look on the sunny side.  

I think he was talking personality and attitude more than on field performance.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He had a pretty bad June as well, giving up 10 home runs for a near-6 ERA. He should be able to be more consistent by now. He'll do something one start and you think "this is it, he figured out the pitch mix" and then he abandons it the next start or he's giving up home runs in buckets off the cutter. Sometimes he looks like he wants to murder someone out there. Sometimes he looks like he's thinking about where to go for dinner after the game. He gave up 7 runs a couple starts ago and then 1 vs the Yankees. It happens to everyone I guess. 

I'm sure you're right that he's not as mercurial as I picture him, but for me I just never quite know which Dean we're going to get. I like the guy a  lot, and he's a crucial part of the rotation. I think there's another step he can take somewhere though. He's got good command and good stuff and a good amount of ML experience now. He should be better than a near-5 ERA.

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, interloper said:

Is there another 4.78 ERA pitcher out there who you feel could also have a good chance to give you 7 shutout innings? 

Sandy Alcantara has a 4.72 ERA, and I’m pretty concerned that he’s going to post 7 shutout innings this very evening.