Mike Elias Interview Takeaways

Billy F-Face3

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

Unless... there was a need to limit innings or ease someone back after an extended injury. It wouldn't be the first time starting pitchers were added to the bullpen. 

They will start the game and Irvin will come in behind them.

The Orioles are in a weird spot with their SP where it’s the weakest part of their team but they actually have a lot of depth. 6 currently healthy SP (knock on wood) counting Irvin, who has pitched better of late, plus Means coming back this year. All except Gibson under control next year, and further all except Means under control beyond that. Ultimately they need to add higher quality SP but not necessarily more SP. 

At the deadline, quality SP is at a huge premium regardless of whether it is a rental (if even available at all). The biggest question is whether they plan to move Wells or Grayson to the pen by the playoffs or let them blow past their prior season high IP. If they want both in the pen, they need another rental SP just for this season but maybe don’t need more RP. If both are starting in the playoffs, they definitely need more RP but not another depth SP. 

IMO they should:

(1) Keep Wells in the rotation and skip/shorten starts if they feel like they need to. 

(2) Move Grayson back into the rotation for his next start, move Irvin to pen/AAA, and let Grayson go until he hits ~120 IP. Then evaluate whether to shorten/skip starts like Wells, or move him to the pen.

(3) Trade for a cheap rental RP. Skip the rental SP altogether unless they can get what feels like a solid deal for a guy who will be a measurable improvement, but not just a SP for the sake of it. If there’s a potential blockbuster for a TOR type with multiple years of control then definitely pursue that, but I don’t see that type of player hitting the market. 

• Upvote 4

We'll see where outcomes fall, and cost efficiency is universal, but for a 2-3 month rental with this promising looking of a season, cheap should be down the trait list.

Even if John Angelos is clipping coupons, talent can be a proxy and Steve Cohen probably wouldn't say no to buying a better prospect.

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

Grayson……and John.   They will 100% add bullpen arms.  Means, Bradish, Grayson in playoffs with Wells & Kremer as a backup is fine by me.  (Assuming Grayson & Means are performing to their talent level).  Means coming back healthy and productive is the ultimate trump card.  

I think expecting that from Means (and really GRod) is far fetched. I hope you’re right, but I think the odds are not in our favor.

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

Ortiz, Norby, Stowers, Prieto would be an absolute massive haul for anyone.   Heck 2 of the 4 would be a great haul.  

Sheesh, if we move Ortiz and Norby in the same trade that better bring back 3-4 years of a cost controlled TOR guy at least. 

• Upvote 1

This is a great thread really appreciate the OP putting in the work here. I saw Elias on TV but didn’t have sound on so was curious what was said.

Sounds like Elias knows he should add some pitching to the roster and has some different options to do it he just hasn’t figured out which path to take yet. My guess is he is dangling guys like Mateo, Frazier and Urias to see what kind of value they have. 

Hard to find an organization in better shape right now if you focus on just the baseball side. 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

I think expecting that from Means (and really GRod) is far fetched. I hope you’re right, but I think the odds are not in our favor.

I agree that is best case scenario.  I’m def not expecting it, but that possibility/outcome is in play.  

Thanks for the recap. 

I can’t at this point see them adding a SP unless there is an injury before the deadline. Just my hunch. I don’t see the multi year guy out there. Not sure the rental guys will fit the cost for the upgrade. Curious the level of relievers we get. Need a couple. 

I remain skeptical that Means will be much of a contributor if at all.  I think some kind of starter even if it's necessarily the caliber of a Jason Montgomery is going to be necessary along with relief help.  Elias is right to be concerned about health issues as the season grinds towards the end.

I can't see Elias moving top 150 prospects for a rental. Now for a player who has multiple years of control, I think he will be aggressive. Therefore, don't see us adding much at the deadline. Reliever and innings eater sound about right. 

4 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

Sheesh, if we move Ortiz and Norby in the same trade that better bring back 3-4 years of a cost controlled TOR guy at least. 

For 3-4 years of a cost controlled TOR pitcher you’d be starting the package with Cowser in all likelihood.