One of the most thrilling non playoff or post season game in Orioles history.

Roy Firestone

Thanks to the "professor" FROBBY on this page I found out that there have been only TWO games this season that were scoreless, but ended in a walkoff Home Run in the bottom of the ninth. And BOTH games victimised the Yankees. Toronto beat the Yankees on a Three -Run Homer..but the Orioles were the only team ALL season to win it in the bottom of the ninth on a solo blast, this one by a previously power challenged Santander.

Theres NOTHING that makes me happier than to beat the Yankees, even when we were a struggling franchise, beating the Yankees gave me that adrenaline lift that I dont get anywhere else in baseball.I wanted to say something about this game.First, some of the defensive plays.

Urias, would have made Brooks Robinson proud, and had it been in a World Series would rank among a Brooks Robinson like heroic .

Then there were two terrific plays by Frazier at second, and of course Santander's remarkable divng catch, that had he missed it, might've been a triple or inside the park Home run.

These DEFENSIVE plays were some of the best we've seen this season, and it kept the game scoreless.

Of course, Grayson Rodriguez who has only started 13 games in his MLB career , was absolutely brilliant and he was helped out immensely by these plays. Our bullpen , while far from perfect, still found a way to shut down the Yankees in the late innings and of course, Bautista dominating again in the ninth gave us a chance to win it,..and they did.

Baseball isn't as physically  compelling a game as football for various reasons.Basketball is more  appealing to the attention span challenged .

But baseball, I think, when it's toe to toe, and two dueling pitchers are at the top of their game and both teams match the other with great plays...baseball is, still, for me, the most thrilling in sports.

And I know most people wouldn't agree because other sports out draw baseball in TV numbers.

But for those, like myself who waited 2 and a half hours to watch that game were rewarded by the baseball Gods...it was one of the most memorable games I've seen in many years, certainly all season.

I love my Birds. I'm not sure we have enough to win it all this year, maybe not even a division title. But this season has been as entertaining as any I can remember in decades, and it's hooked me and you who are reading this.

This team is going to be even better in the coming years I think with all the young talent on its way...but for one game last night, this team personified the term teamwork . Every little play and performance was stellar, and  those who hung in there to watch it know...it was worth the wait.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

I often think of the fans walking to their cars or busses or trains, or back to wherever they came from saying some version of "Wow" what a game". Baseball while not the very best sport on television, is nonetheless an "edge of your seat" sport in ways that others aren't...because of the foul ball...no other sport allows a batter to "stay alive" by just getting a piece of a ball out of play...its unlike ANY thing in life...you can stay alive forever when you foul off pitches, and that keeps fans , in a close game, invested in every single pitch...what a baseball game last night.."wow".