Jack Flaherty acquired for Cesar Prieto, Drew Rom, and Zach Showalter

ChuckS

Flaherty is needed and will be useful.  Elias had to do something and that's the best way to describe this trade IMO.  The price was too high especially if it turns out that it was 3 for 1.  When the dust clears after all the trade movement, I think that everybody will be wondering why the O's didn't beat the offer for Lorenzen.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Don’t love including Showalter but don’t care about the other 2.

Showalter for Flaherty when you are trying to contend is a move you make. Wish we didn’t include him but whatever.

•  
  •  

Getting conflicting reports as to whether Showalter was included.

I think he's probably more of a threat than Kremer/Gibson to October lineups even if Holt/the org can't unlock anything.     And if they can...

That's my 30-minute takeaway - Flaherty can hang with Grayson/Bradish, he might not be just filler.

Edited by Just Regular

Feels like people are seriously underestimating what it takes to acquire a good starting pitcher even for a rental. Prieto and Rom had little future here, I am totally pleased to acquire a genuine contributor to our postseason push / postseason for two players who it's quite unlikely we'll miss. 

This is nothing like when we traded top 10 prospects like Davies for Parra or Eduardo Rodríguez (top 5) for Andrew Miller (I know Miller was a good acquisition, but I wasn't a fan of that trade for a rental, still). 

We've traded a top 20 prospect and a borderline top 30. Approve of this trade and like it. 

• Upvote 3

I don't mind giving up Prieto; we have plenty of guys ahead of him.  Rom and Showalter are two of our better pitching prospects, which isn't saying much, but still.  

I hate this trade because Jack Flaherty is a completely mediocre pitcher.  At best he is a desparation stopgap for Tyler Wells.  He is not someone who will start in a playoff series.

WE COULD HAVE HAD EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ.  It was known over an hour ago that the deal with the Dodgers had fallen through.  Elias had plenty of time to sweeten his offer a little.  He didn't because he was too busy finalizing his deal for Jack Effing Flaherty.  

The Athletic had him as the 7th best available starter:

7. Jack Flaherty, RHP, Cardinals — Flaherty is 7-6 with a 4.43 ERA in 20 starts. However, he’s allowed three runs or fewer in four of his last five starts. His poise, competitiveness and mental toughness make him a strong target, especially considering the expected return.

• Upvote 3

Don’t know what fix they have in mind, but I’ve got to guess that it’s going to focus on the 4-seamer somehow. 

That’s a pitch that was genuinely elite from 2018-2021, but it’s now getting smoked all over the place. Don’t know if they will just try to tweak it, or maybe have him try to go to a 2-seamer and lean more heavily on his breaking stuff (a la Bradish)? 

Flaherty's been coming on strong lately but don't fully trust him.

Wild you have to send 3 prospects - one raking in the minors - for a rental of a guy with a 1.55 WHIP. Feel like there's some paying for he name there. And for the love of God sign some actual front line pitching in the offeason or we'll keep finding ourselves in this predicament.

6 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Getting conflicting reports as to whether Showalter was included.

5 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Feels like people are seriously underestimating what it takes to acquire a good starting pitcher even for a rental. Prieto and Rom had little future here, I am totally pleased to acquire a genuine contributor to our postseason push / postseason for two players who it's quite unlikely we'll miss. 

This is nothing like when we traded top 10 prospects like Davies for Parra or Eduardo Rodríguez (top 5) for Andrew Miller (I know Miller was a good acquisition, but I wasn't a fan of that trade for a rental, still). 

We've traded a top 20 prospect and a borderline top 30. Approve of this trade and like it. 

Wanted to fix something for you..Rom and Prieto have zero chance of being part of this team going forward.

Good chance that Rom is DFA’ed in the offseason. 

Prieto is like Hernaiz. It’s not that he’s not talented but he has no place here. 

There is a lot to like about Flaherty.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I don't mind giving up Prieto; we have plenty of guys ahead of him.  Rom and Showalter are two of our better pitching prospects, which isn't saying much, but still.  

I hate this trade because Jack Flaherty is a completely mediocre pitcher.  At best he is a desparation stopgap for Tyler Wells.  He is not someone who will start in a playoff series.

WE COULD HAVE HAD EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ.  It was known over an hour ago that the deal with the Dodgers had fallen through.  Elias had plenty of time to sweeten his offer a little.  He didn't because he was too busy finalizing his deal for Jack Effing Flaherty.  

And zero bullpen help which is a bigger need