Jack Flaherty acquired for Cesar Prieto, Drew Rom, and Zach Showalter

ChuckS

Just now, Sammy Seagull said:

Sad this is the best they could do, three players for one two month rental. Elias is not looking good with this foul up. St. Louis is dancing in the streets tonight, free Bud Light for everyone!

It's not the best they could do.

It's all they wanted to do.

I could go out and get a really nice dinner tonight.

Or I could go to Denny's.

If I got to Denny's that doesn't mean it's the best I could do.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, crawjo said:

It was a seller's market. I feel like getting Flaherty for the cost was a solid move. Fujinami was a good move. We still need more pitching but there wasn't an awful lot out there that would have moved the needle. 

There were lots of impact relievers traded.  Paul Sewald and David Robertson, just off the top of my head.  We should have gotten one of them but we didn't.  

1 minute ago, Sammy Seagull said:

Sad this is the best they could do, three players for one two month rental. Elias is not looking good with this foul up. St. Louis is dancing in the streets tonight, free Bud Light for everyone!

I was just at the Cardinals message board. They are pissed they got "nothing" for Flaherty. Not sure who is dancing in the streets.

• Haha 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

What hope? Wells is proven to be very good out of the pen. 

Yes, before he became a starter he was very good from the pen.  But what is going on with him now? Is it something minor that rest (and less of a load) will heal, or is it something more?

Also I would point that our pen isn't very deep to begin with so we need all the help we can get. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know why everyone's so hung up on Rom.  He's got a reliever profile in an organization that has their supercomputer spit out random names that the Orioles can target and turn into Bautista/Cano.

Edited by Hallas
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It's not the best they could do.

It's all they wanted to do.

I could go out and get a really nice dinner tonight.

Or I could go to Denny's.

If I got to Denny's that doesn't mean it's the best I could do.

Well... if your really nice dinner is $50, and Denny's is $20, and you really don't want to spend $50..... then... 

2 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Rom was a candidate for DFA this year. Showalter is 19 and years away  from helping the team. I don't think Elias traded away a pitcher that would likely help the club in the next 4 - 5 years.

I mean, if things go well for Showalter, he could be in the majors in 2-3 years but it’s far more likely he becomes nothing than he comes back to bite us.

I don’t like losing him in this deal but I really just don’t care. You had to make a move and Flaherty is an upside play that allows you to put Wells in the pen, which is a boost there as well.

Its a no brainer of a move.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hallas said:

I don't know why everyone's so hung up on Rom.  He's got a reliever profile in an organization that has their supercomputer spit out random names that the Orioles can target and turn into Bautista/Cano.

Can we get Cano put back into the machine and turned back into April/May Cano?

1 minute ago, Hallas said:

The only player to be “upset” about losing is Showalter and he’s not enough to say no.

15 minutes ago, Paul in Virginia said:

The Athletic's latest view on Flaherty:

The Cardinals took a gamble on Flaherty entering the 2023 season, hoping the right-hander could return to the ace-caliber form he showed in 2019 and in early 2021, before a slew of injuries sidelined him for 18 months. His first half was inconsistent and his walk rate skyrocketed, but over the last month, he has been one of the most consistent starting pitchers in the league. Though he struggled with command throughout the first half, his fastball and slider — the bread and butter of his arsenal — have hardly looked better as of late. Flaherty has the stuff and the swagger to be an upper-rotation arm for a contending team. 

Orioles close to acquiring RHP Jack Flaherty from Cardinals: Source - The Athletic

His ERA in July was around 3, so that's encouraging.  But that comes after having an ERA over 5 in June.   Maybe Elias' scouts were able to find something that he's fixed or something that they think we can fix.