Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

7 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Pertaining to the notion that the other owners would vote them out, I have a theory. Same theory I had about Dan Snyder. somehow get the league to hold an anonymous vote about this god-awful family.  Thankfully, Dan was such an awful guy that there was just mountains of evidence available to anybody that wanted to dig to find some thing worthy of getting him out and it finally happened. in this situation, I think that if you were to somehow create an anonymous vote, so that nobody knew who was really voting him out, it would be almost unanimous. Unfortunately, the grounds for the vote can’t simply be “is the Angeles family a bunch of jerks or what?“ obviously, there has to be some sort of viable grounds to set up such a serious conversation. Unfortunately, being a terrible person is not grounds enough to get you kicked out of one of the most exclusive clubs in the world.

There is no comparison to Dan Snyder and Angelos. It’s nowhere near the same level. 

1 hour ago, SilverRocket said:

This is speculation, but maybe KB tried to take the blame to protect the MASN producers and assumed he was safe? I feel like there has to have been some bigger conflict that arose from this.

I've heard the producer/director and the staff are under heat as well.

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

We will never know but I wonder how this story came out ?  I’m glad it got leaked. 

This crossed my mind too.

Also curious why McDonald gave the schedule excuse or whether there’s internal pushback or not. Palmer rips the team all the time when he feels it’s justified; he doesn’t need the job and could probably push back some privately if he cared. I wonder if it’s leaked because others on the media side are internally frustrated.

And while this obviously shouldn’t affect baseball operations at all, at the end of the day it’s part of a toxic working environment. Elias works his tail off trying to attract and retain critical personnel, and like it or not the perception of this nonsense may matter. You would hope he has the ability to offer an opinion on this within the organization and that it’s heard and acted on. Or maybe I’m making more of this than it is and he doesn’t give it another thought. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

It seems like there's a whole series of "crackdowns" taking place.  If they're micromanaging what people wear on camera, then you better believe they're doing even more to the people behind camera.

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He isn’t useless.  He hired Elias and has basically left him alone.  Tons of owners won’t even do that.  This is tremendously disappointing though. 

I thought this was a great sign that he was going to be a decent owner because Elias has been a genius.  But no.  Other than Elias John Angelos has made horrible decision after horrible decision.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

"29th in payroll" was the key statement I bet. Nothing like Angelos actually putting out the 29th lowest payroll then getting made when his announcer basically showed how good the team is even with the low payroll.

Did Brown say anything about payroll while presenting the information on that graphic? I watched the clip and I didn’t hear him say anything about it. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

"29th in payroll" was the key statement I bet. Nothing like Angelos actually putting out the 29th lowest payroll then getting made when his announcer basically showed how good the team is even with the low payroll.

I don’t think Kevin said anything about payroll though?  That’s what I don’t get. It was never even referenced? 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Well it was an unflattering record graphic with its own music added, that stayed on the screen for awhile. It wasnt just Brown speaking. When you work for MASN, which i believe the broadcast was, you probably have to watch your back some when John Angelos is your boss.

21 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I gave my best idea.  Don't you know any women who work in the Warehouse?

No but if Newman is the one who got in trouble, which I totally buy because I was wondering why she was wearing a jacket the other day, maybe she can start something up.  

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

29th in payroll should not result in a suspension but I will feel better about this if that is what it is about.  I can understand a team not wanting it to look like they are cheap especially when that is the actual proper prescription for the last 2 major baseball rebuilds.  The team has spent on all of the development stuff.  I can understand Angelos being a bit upset about not getting credit.  Hopefully this blows over.  But I imagine Brown is looking for an exit.  Sad.   Good broadcaster and seems like a very nice guy. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No but if Newman is the one who got in trouble, which I totally buy because I was wondering why she was wearing a jacket the other day, maybe she can start something up.  

Isn't wearing a jacket just part of the new attire policy? I don't know that she has anything to do with any of this.

35 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Would be great if the media very strongly coming to defense of one of their own was the thing that tipped the Angelos' family to sell.

There was a breaking point with Snyder. He long maintained that they would have to pry the team from his cold, dead hands, so even the pressure other owners were putting on him didn't automatically mean he would sell. The rumor is that the incessant negative publicity got to his wife/kids.

I would welcome that here. Covering owners like Snyder and Angelos this way isn't yellow journalism; they are custodians of organizations that belong more to the city than to them, and they have track records of abusing that privilege.

I've heard through a source that his fellow broadcasters and people behind the scenes are furious about this and may take some kind of action. What remains to be scene. 

I would imagine John Agelos does not want to publicly squabble with Orioles legend Jim Palmer and others. 

• Thanks 2