Krukjian on Os

Sports Guy

• Sports Guy changed the title to Krukjian on Os

As fun as it is to read about our stats, I enjoyed this comment on Cano and the staff:

The pitcher whom Elias acquired in the Lopez trade with the Twins was Yennier Cano, 28, who posted an 11.25 ERA in 18 innings in 2022, his first year in the major leagues. He had great stuff but also couldn't throw enough strikes. So, in spring training, the Orioles told Cano to stay with one arm slot, stop varying it, and suddenly, the strikes arrived. 

• Upvote 1

Krukjian was once a Baltimore sports writer--my favorite back then. Note the literary flourish in the penultimate paragraph:

So now the Orioles...have perhaps the league's most exciting team, with a great set of baseball names: Gunnar, Grayson, Adley, King Felix, the lyrical Anthony Santander and the regal Ryan Mountcastle.

Maybe some of that finesse got Elias to be more open than usual in the final ¶:

"We now have flexibility on the roster, every player we have can play three positions, we have great balance between left-handed and right-handed hitters," Elias said. "And we haven't had a moment of drama in the clubhouse. I'll say that I object to people saying that we were tanking it. When we got to Houston and rebuilt it, and then to Baltimore, when we got to each place, things were bad. We had to tear it down to make it as good as possible."

Nice job, Tim!

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1