Wednesday, August 9: Orioles try to bounce back after tough loss to Astros

SteveA

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Baker blew one of the Dodgers games if memory serves correct and we should have won yesterday. So that would be the 2 games right there. Our bullpen also blew one of the games to Atlanta with the Pillar home run…. 

It's not a coincidence that one of (and sometimes both of) the Braves, Dodgers, and Astros have been in every World Series for the past six seasons. They do what it takes to win. If it wasn't Baker, it would have been someone else.

We'll (hopefully) be at their level when we graduate all of our talent and when we've gone through these growing pains like this for a season (or maybe two or four). But I don't think there are quick fixes or shortcuts.

1 minute ago, O's84 said:

An impact reliever at the deadline was not going to break the farm system.  I wasn't suggesting trading for Ohtani even if he was available.  And if we trust Elias with the farm system then he can replace those parts he's traded away.  I also have grave doubts that John Angelos will ever spend.

I'm curious what budget Elias really had at the deadline. Or did Elias eat too much of his own cooking thinking any pitcher who can throw 100 MPH can be made into an effective reliever in the Orioles pitching lab.

Just now, Alasdaire said:

It's not a coincidence that one of (and sometimes both of) the Braves, Dodgers, and Astros have been in every World Series for the past six seasons. They do what it takes to win. If it wasn't Baker, it would have been someone else.

We'll (hopefully) be at their level when we graduate all of our talent and when we've gone through these growing pains like this for a season (or maybe two or four). But I don't think there are quick fixes or shortcuts.

Not if you can get an impact reliever to put out the fires.  Remember 2014 Andrew Miller? I'm not saying we get someone as good as him but you could have gotten a very good reliever and in that situation the chances of them scoring is way less than Baker.  You are really underestimating the impact they can have.

Not if you can get an impact reliever to put out the fires.  Remember 2014 Andrew Miller? I'm not saying we get someone as good as him but you could have gotten a very good reliever and in that situation the chances of them scoring is way less than Baker.  You are really underestimating the impact they can have.

I mean, when Fuji comes in the game is definitely over.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm curious what budget Elias really had at the deadline. Or did Elias eat too much of his own cooking thinking any pitcher who can throw 100 MPH can be made into an effective reliever in the Orioles pitching lab.

From the optics, it doesn't look like he could add much.  The whole walking back the "Lift Off", JA's comments on being like Tampa and not spending much paints a bad pitcture.

2 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Hey I'm on record saying that I wouldn't trade Felix for anyone in the league if you're only looking at this season, so I definitely believe in the value of a good reliever 😁

My general belief is that there's a gap between the 2023 Orioles and the elite teams, and I don't think any single player is going to close that gap across multiples seven-game series. 

From the optics, it doesn't look like he could add much.  The whole walking back the "Lift Off", JA's comments on being like Tampa and not spending much paints a bad pitcture.

I would have loved to have gotten Aroldis Chapman. He's only making $3.7M this year and wouldn't have costed too much in a trade. Did Elias even call and ask? Missed opportunity.

13 minutes ago, O's84 said:

An impact reliever at the deadline was not going to break the farm system.  I wasn't suggesting trading for Ohtani even if he was available.  And if we trust Elias with the farm system then he can replace those parts he's traded away.  I also have grave doubts that John Angelos will ever spend.

JA will spend right after he opens the books.