Blue Jays Series - Part 4 (O’s lead 8-2)

RavensNOsGuy

Jays have played well recently on the road - better so than at home. Obviously we are going to get their best shot , but that hasn’t been enough so far this year. GRod has been better on the road so hopefully that continues at home. Feels like this series could be a bit of a let down, but also the team surely knows we could bury the Jays with another good series. Should be fun. I’ll go with winning 2/3 - and we finally beat Berrios in one of the wins.

Per ESPN the matchups are:

Rodriguez (2-3, 5.44 ERA) v. Kikuchi (9-4, 3.44).  Rodriguez allowed the Jays 2 runs in 5 IP in May, and 3 runs in 5.2 IP in August.  Kikuchi allowed 3 runs in 4.2 IP to the O’s in May, 2 in 4.2 in June, 1 in 6.0 in August.  He’s been hot of late, throwing to a 1.29 ERA his last 6 starts.

Flaherty (8-8, 4.73 overall; 1-2, 7.07 with the O’s v. Gausman (9-7, 3.24).  Flaherty held Toronto to 1 run in 7 innings in his Orioles debut a few weeks ago.  Gausman allowed the Birds 2 runs in 8.0 innings in May, 3 in 4.1 in August.

Kremer (11-5, 4.50) v. Berrios (9-8, 3.39). Kremer limited Toronto to 1 run in 5.1 innings in May, and 3 runs in 5.0 in June.  Berrios shut out the Orioles over 7.2 innings the only time he faced them this year, back in June.  

The Jays have a solid bullpen that has a 3.48 ERA on the season, to the Orioles’ 3.60.   They’ve converted 77% of their save opportunities, which is excellent.  

The O’s have had the better offense in 2023, averaging 4.94 runs/game to Toronto’s 4.48.  Both teams have a 106 OPS+, but the O’s have been far more clutch, posting an .841 OPS with runners in scoring position to Toronto’s .704.

On paper, the pitching matchups favor Toronto, but they don’t okay the games on paper.  We’ve owned the Blue Jays so far this season, and this is our chance to bury them.  

4 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Just don't get swept.  I mean even if they sweep they're still 5.5 back.  But even if we take just 1 we only lose a game in the standings, and then we have some soft teams for the rest of the homestand.

Of course, winning the series would be awesome.

I was think that way but I want to win the division.  Toronto has the best team ERA in baseball.  Pllaying with them would be huge.  Grayson can shut them down.  

It's getting late for the Jays. 

After our series they'll have a 17-day stretch facing Cleveland, Washington, Colorado, Oakland, Kansas City. 

Then they play 19 against Texas, Boston, NY, TB, NY again and TB again.

I don't much like or trust Toronto. Perhaps this is a hangover from conduct in the 2010's. Can't help but feel like if they are going to pull some stunt, it'll be right now. 

Suspicius GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Excited to see G-Rod tonight.  He's become must-see since he's been back.

The Jays are the AL version of the Padres, IMO.  A ton of talent, they should be better than their record is.  And yet, they're kind of chumps.  But they can still put together a good stretch.

Except Toronto has a good chance for the playoffs and not only that, they would be lined up to play the Twins in R1.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

He has been below MLB average and trending down for 2 years

A lot of times players just need a change of scenery. I wasn’t big on the acquisition but the jury is very much still out on whether he’s on the playoff roster or not.