This team is visibly gassed

Sanfran327

I don’t think there’s much more to it. I don’t think they’re choking, I don’t think they have the yips, and I don’t think they’re cursed. This is what happens when you have to play the final 23 of 162 in 24 days. 

If I’m Hyde, I’d consider manufacturing an off day. Tampa plays before us today, and if they lose, I’d manage tonight like a playoff game to try to get double credit on the magic number. Then I’d rest all of our frontline players and plan to have position players pitch 4+ innings on Sunday and just punt that one to get our guys “2 days of rest” with the off day on Monday. Then we get to start fresh at home for our final 6 against 2 bad teams and let the magic number dwindle. 

Perhaps a little unorthodox, but these guys are dragging in the field and the bullpen arms have absolutely nothing to give right now. 

• Upvote 1

You can't plan to have position players pitch 4+ innings.

I don't understand why teams don't take advantage of the ability to forfeit games.  Sure you could only do it once before they'd amend the rules but as far as I know the team could just forfeit, take the 9-0 L and piss everyone else off.  Just don't do it at home.  😉

12 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I don’t think there’s much more to it. I don’t think they’re choking, I don’t think they have the yips, and I don’t think they’re cursed. This is what happens when you have to play the final 23 of 162 in 24 days. 

If I’m Hyde, I’d consider manufacturing an off day. Tampa plays before us today, and if they lose, I’d manage tonight like a playoff game to try to get double credit on the magic number. Then I’d rest all of our frontline players and plan to have position players pitch 4+ innings on Sunday and just punt that one to get our guys “2 days of rest” with the off day on Monday. Then we get to start fresh at home for our final 6 against 2 bad teams and let the magic number dwindle. 

Perhaps a little unorthodox, but these guys are dragging in the field and the bullpen arms have absolutely nothing to give right now. 

You can’t just decide to pitch position players. I think it’s a dumb rule, but it is a rule.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can't plan to have position players pitch 4+ innings.

I don't understand why teams don't take advantage of the ability to forfeit games.  Sure you could only do it once before they'd amend the rules but as far as I know the team could just forfeit, take the 9-0 L and piss everyone else off.  Just don't do it at home.  😉

Why can’t we? Talk me through it. I don’t care if we lose 30-3, just gut it out. Rutsch, Gunnar, Mullins, Urias, and O’Hearn need to take a seat for a day.

The forfeit idea is good if that’s really an option. 

I’m also very close to DFAing Lopez and putting Fuji on the IL with a sneeze injury. 

Honestly, everyone is tired this time of year. I think it’s just a combination no days off and a Cleveland team that is just clearly not a good matchup for us. We were all miserable after the first two games of the Tampa series, and then we rattled off 4 of the next 5 against them and Houston. 

Reality is still that if we win one or both of these next two games, it’s going to be very difficult for Tampa to chase us down. 

22 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I wouldn’t do that, but if one of our starters struggles in the next two games, I would absolutely throw Flaherty out there and let him finish the game, even if it takes him 200 pitches. 

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

There's not always a narrative.  In a long baseball season sometimes you don't play your best.  They beat TB and HOU in 4 straight just 3 days ago.

I do think the upcoming off day will hopefully be a good breather.

That’s why I’m really not that worried. Nobody’s forgotten how to play. This team has not fallen off a cliff after 155 games. The bullpen had absolutely nothing to give last night, and we have two more days of this to get through. Honestly, my idea is more about doubling up the rest than anything. 

Ultimately, I think we win the division with or without my crazy idea, and then we get some thing like five days of rest before the ALDS begins.

Edited by Sanfran327
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Why can’t we? Talk me through it. I don’t care if we lose 30-3, just gut it out. Rutsch, Gunnar, Mullins, Urias, and O’Hearn need to take a seat for a day.

The forfeit idea is good if that’s really an option. 

I’m also very close to DFAing Lopez and putting Fuji on the IL with a sneeze injury. 

It's in rulebook.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-approves-new-rule-to-cut-down-on-position-players-pitching-ahead-of-2023-season-per-report/

Under the new guidelines, leading teams have to be up by 10 or more runs in the ninth inning in order to let a position player pitch while trailing teams can use a position player anytime it's down by eight or more runs. Position players are also allowed to pitch anytime in extra innings.  

So yea, I guess you could intentional walk enough opposing hitters to put the opposing team up by eight.....

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ONUOsFan said:

if one of our starters struggles in the next two games, I would absolutely throw Flaherty out there and let him finish the game, even if it takes him 200 pitches. 

I think tonight is the night to do this. Let Means go as long as he can, then bring in Flaherty, let the others rest, and hope for the best.

4 minutes ago, Bird Lady said:

I think tonight is the night to do this. Let Means go as long as he can, then bring in Flaherty, let the others rest, and hope for the best.

With Tampa starting 2 hours before us, I think a little scoreboard watching is in order tonight. If they lose today, we have to do everything we can tonight to steal a win and then punt tomorrow.