Trading AAA for lower minor players?

hallThalmt18h

21 hours ago, hallThalmt18h said:

I never create posts because well, you guys are smarter than me, so I typically just lurk and read. 

I'm thinking about how the O's currently have a large number of good infielders in Baltimore and Norfolk - and how to maximize their value.  People often talk about packaging players to go out and get a frontline major league starting pitcher. But do teams ever go the other way -- and try to trade from our strength (AAA/ML infielders) to receive multiple lower level/younger players instead? 

I'm concerned that, around the time that our best players are nearing the end of their contracts, we may be entering a thinner period in our minor leagues, where we don't have a bunch of raging prospects knocking on the door. We could deal from this current area of strength by making trades that restock the lower levels, so that in 4-5 years, we still have viable options in Norfolk. 

Do teams do this? Should the O's do this? 

Thanks for the post!!  Don't forget it's not just about a confluence of talent, Elias is going to have to find a way to spread out payroll when all these guys hit their arb years.  If he continues to follows the Cubs/Astros rebuild model he will be trading for TOR guys with short term contracts-lessening the exposure to a long term FA contracts.  They certainly have the developing position players to make it happen.

On 9/27/2023 at 8:08 AM, SemperFi said:

Thanks for the post!!  Don't forget it's not just about a confluence of talent, Elias is going to have to find a way to spread out payroll when all these guys hit their arb years.  If he continues to follows the Cubs/Astros rebuild model he will be trading for TOR guys with short term contracts-lessening the exposure to a long term FA contracts.  They certainly have the developing position players to make it happen.

Sure seems like the smartest way to go... and he's proving it so far.*

*actual results in any given series or season will vary.

Edited by now
  • Thanks 1