Lopez DFA, Zimmerman recalled

Hank Scorpio

4 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I think this is a nothing burger. I don't think they would have tendered a contract, that would have been complete lunacy. You never know about these things because it only takes one crazy team but, I have to think he has less than a 5% chance of getting a major league deal. Maybe a split deal or a minor league deal with an opt out? 

Right. He cleared every other team in MLB when Miami DFA's him (had to go through NL first, I believe, then made it to the O's in the AL). Then he didn't exactly show excellence when the O's got him. 

The truth is that he likes the O's and there's good reason to think that they're the best team to fix him. I guess it's possible that some player development guy can convince his team to offer him a better contract, but it's a small wager for the O's to do what they did and bring him into the fold again next spring. And if he takes a deal with another team, I'm sure we have other guys in our plans either way.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Right. He cleared every other team in MLB when Miami DFA's him (had to go through NL first, I believe, then made it to the O's in the AL). Then he didn't exactly show excellence when the O's got him. 

The truth is that he likes the O's and there's good reason to think that they're the best team to fix him. I guess it's possible that some player development guy can convince his team to offer him a better contract, but it's a small wager for the O's to do what they did and bring him into the fold again next spring. And if he takes a deal with another team, I'm sure we have other guys in our plans either way.

They don't do the NL/AL thing anymore, it is just reverse order of W/L record at the time. Ties are broken with the previous year's record. 

29 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

They don't do the NL/AL thing anymore, it is just reverse order of W/L record at the time. Ties are broken with the previous year's record. 

Gotcha. I thought they still did it by league. That still means he cleared every team except for Atlanta though.

On 9/30/2023 at 1:41 PM, Morgan423 said:

Seems odd that the O's

1) Picked Lopez up at a time where he wasn't playoff eligible (with an obvious motive of having team control to get him off season fixed and then signed in his last arb year in 2024)

2) Held on to him for most of an ineffective month when there would have been better strategic opportunities to DFA him weeks ago, only to

3) DFA him with two barely-mean-anything games left in the season.

🤷‍♂️  

He couldn’t pitch in the playoffs. They tried to get some value while saving someone else for later. If he returned to form great, if he did t no loss. I think we call all agree they shouldn’t bring him back next season.