Trevor Bauer

Yossarian

Once again, Bauer has never said he didn't hit her. Just that he didn't hit her that hard. 

Yeah, hard pass. 

The players are the product of the team. This isn't a situation where he is working in some office and is anonymous. The team is specifically asking its patrons to openly support these players and root for them. So teams are going to have different standards of conduct because of the reality of the product. That is the reality of the business of  the game. 

Bauer was an douchebag before all the allegations, but the fact that this thing just keeps happening to a guy - he aint worth it. 

Just now, dystopia said:

Better get your 2 cents in now, this thread is getting locked as soon as Tony sees it :D

It shouldn't.  I think people are trying to walk the line as best as possible.  It is a legit question as to whether they should sign Bauer.  Part of that question is the credibility of the allegations against Bauer, so the credibility of the media is an issue.  Some distrust the media more than others.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Having never read any article that claimed to have an inside scoop on what happened, I think the media has been pretty fair with Bauer.  It’s just a fact of life that that if someone is accused of being abusive of women, some people will assume it’s true without waiting for the evidence to come in.  That’s not the media’s fault.   They wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t report the accusations.  They also reported in detail when the restraining order was denied, and when the prosecutors declined to charge Bauer, etc.  I don’t really know what you expect the media to do.  (Note: I have not read whatever article in the Athletic was referenced in this thread.  I’m just talking about the overall media coverage of the Bauer story.)*

The one missing piece of this story is the suspension by MLB and the subsequent decision of an independent arbitrator that the suspension was justified but was longer than appropriate.  We know those decisions were made, but the evidence and rationale aren’t public, presumably because the CBA doesn’t permit their publication.   I have no idea what those decisions say, or whether I’d agree with them or not.   But I’m pretty sure an arbitrator wouldn’t have upheld a suspension if there wasn’t significant evidence of a violation of the standards of conduct provided in the CBA/standard player contract.  

Edit - I’m now caught up on the Athletic article and lawsuit, which was settled several months back by the Athletic clarifying that they were reporting the woman’s allegation that she had a fractured skull, and didn’t intend to report that it was factual that her skull was fractured.  Pretty sloppy reporting by them on that issue.   

16 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Allegations in complaints are generally more protected than normal speech and not subject to claims of defamation. There are allegations in complaints all of the time that prove to be wrong.  Did The Athletic have all of her records?  Maybe they had an ER record and she said that a subsequent appt showed that her skull was fractured?  Not saying it didn't happen, but if it wasn't true, Bauer demanded a retraction, and they had the medical records showing that it was false; even as a public figure he would have a viable defamation claim. 

But the exact charge is that the media knowingly lied about the victim's condition.  And it rests on a couple of simple premises.

1) Did they report that she had sustained a fractured skull?

Yes, the media did, specifically the Atheltic.

2) Did she indeed have a fractured skull?

No, she did not.

3) Did the media, specifically the Athletic, have her medical records?

That's the exact claim in the suit.  Should be fairly easy to prove one way or another.

So, we can say that the media published false information without a doubt.

The only contention is whether it was intentional or not.

Sorry but I give them no benefit of the doubt.

23 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I don't think anyone can disagree that conservative and liberal outlets are constantly reporting on the mistakes of the other.  So, my point was it isn't a credible statement to say that the media doesn't report on mistakes that it makes.  

Well since you want to make this political…the left controls the main media outside of a few places and since they control the narrative, they can say and do whatever they want and no one is going to hold them accountable.

Fox calling out CNN for being a bunch of two faced POS doesn’t mean anything. It does nothing to actually change things. That’s what I mean.  There’s no change. There is no accountability outside of the general public seeing it but most of them are too stupid or too wrapped up in their own views to care.

Taking it back to Bauer..it’s the same thing. It doesn’t matter what evidence he shows, some people will just choose to say he’s a liar. Why? Because they want to believe the media and they want to believe the “victim”. 

People are sheep. They don’t research for themselves. They don’t figure things out on their own. They do as they are told. 

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That is just the statement of Bauer's allegation. Evidence would be the actual medical records and proof that the Athletic had it. I'm not saying this is the case, but anyone can type up an allegation and put it in a legal document. 

Not surprising, her twitter is blocked at the moment.

She will only apologize after she explains that her "source" was wrong.

Edited by Moose Milligan

42 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

he has multiple allegations against multiple people and the judge in this case specifically reminded everyone that this settlement should not be seen as an absolution of guilt from Bauer. 

When one person accuses you, you might have a case. but when another, and another, and another keeps coming out. And when his excuses start as it didn't happen - but then it becomes okay it did but it was consensual, and then becomes sure I hit her but didnt hit her that hard. 

[insert word that is banned here] 

NOPE, hard nope. 

Ya know what? I am sure that we can find a guy to do what Bauer could do that DOESN'T have multiple accusations of sexual battery following him around. 

Agree with the bolded.

I think we all do.

The rest, who cares? 

24 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

Once again, Bauer has never said he didn't hit her. Just that he didn't hit her that hard. 

Yeah, hard pass. 

The players are the product of the team. This isn't a situation where he is working in some office and is anonymous. The team is specifically asking its patrons to openly support these players and root for them. So teams are going to have different standards of conduct because of the reality of the product. That is the reality of the business of  the game. 

Bauer was an douchebag before all the allegations, but the fact that this thing just keeps happening to a guy - he aint worth it. 

Agree. There are better options with less drama.

So.... next thread! 🤣

20 minutes ago, Pickles said:

But the exact charge is that the media knowingly lied about the victim's condition.  And it rests on a couple of simple premises.

1) Did they report that she had sustained a fractured skull?

Yes, the media did, specifically the Atheltic.

2) Did she indeed have a fractured skull?

No, she did not.

3) Did the media, specifically the Athletic, have her medical records?

That's the exact claim in the suit.  Should be fairly easy to prove one way or another.

So, we can say that the media published false information without a doubt.

The only contention is whether it was intentional or not.

Sorry but I give them no benefit of the doubt.

That’s fine, and I don’t disagree with you about the Athletic issue, now that I understand it.  If I ever knew that it had been reported that the woman had a fractured skull, I’ve long since forgotten it.  

54 minutes ago, Pickles said:

This story seems to be about a guy who is an butthole and real rich and a woman who planned to make major money off him.   And the media falling into the "believe all women" crap because of meh.....Metoo.   The Metoo movement that Amber Heard destroyed and proved you cant just go around "believing all women" as a your normal position.  

Hopefully Trevor has learned a lesson in the wisdom of a kink that involves hitting women in the face.  It is not worth it buddy.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

And yet millions watch the NFL each weekend despite cheering on players with legal battles.

People line up for concerts to watch artists that have checkered pasts.

There's a point where the talent or the performance surpasses whatever issues the talent or the performer has in their closet.  Like, I'm 100% positive that if Michael Jackson were still alive that there's no way I'd let my kid spend the night at his house.  But that doesn't mean I'm not putting Thriller on the record player every so often.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s fine, and I don’t disagree with you about the Athletic issue, now that I understand it.  If I ever knew that it had been reported that the woman had a fractured skull, I’ve long since forgotten it.  

I remember that charge specifically being reported, and I remember being pretty shocked by it.

I've always felt this is what it is turning out to be: A set-up and a money-grab.  But feeling something isn't the same as knowing it.

And when that was reported it made me question my assumptions, because a fractured skull isn't something that can be explained away by kink imo.

And of course that's exactly why the writer chose to lie about it.