Wigginton Official/Moore DFA

fearthenoodle

....and the 2007 Steve Trachsel trade has officially become completely meaningless.

Except that Jake Renshaw is still in the minors.

Except that at this very second, the Orioles could have Rocky Cherry and Scott Moore back in ST. Cherry is a Rule 5 pick and while is most likely gone, could still return, even though I think the Orioles would let the Mets keep him. Likewise, Moore will clear waivers and remain with the Orioles this season and have the opportunity to contribute at some point if he returns to form.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The vet should have never been there in the first place.

I'm thinking of a player who played bad enough for the front office to say "let's not pay any attention to how badly Moore is playing in Norfolk, or how fragile he is, or how he doesn't have the mental fortitude to make adjustment. Let's bring Scott Moore up to take _____ place at first base." I'm thinking if the Orioles had no other choice but to play Javy Lopez at first - than I would agree with you. Sure - bring up Moore... he can't be any worse than Javy Lopez!

While I agree that Waters is less likely to ever play in the Majors again than Moore is (and certainly at a lower quality level), I think the fact that Moore is out of options necessitated this move. It was either do it now and force a team to claim him based more on the season he had last year or risk him having a good spring training which would increase the chances of a team claiming him when they inevitably sent him down at the end of of the spring. There simply isn't a roster spot open for him this season and he has a better chance of clearing waivers now than if he performs well in spring training.
This post, MurphDogg, is absolutely perfect. Until I read it, I was convinced that Waters should have been DFAed, with Moore next on the chopping block (e.g., had we signed Looper). You have persuaded me otherwise.

This post, MurphDogg, is absolutely perfect. Until I read it, I was convinced that Waters should have been DFAed, with Moore next on the chopping block (e.g., had we signed Looper). You have persuaded me otherwise.

Yup, you gotta trust AM with the strategerizing. ;)

While I agree that Waters is less likely to ever play in the Majors again than Moore is (and certainly at a lower quality level), I think the fact that Moore is out of options necessitated this move. It was either do it now and force a team to claim him based more on the season he had last year or risk him having a good spring training which would increase the chances of a team claiming him when they inevitably sent him down at the end of of the spring. There simply isn't a roster spot open for him this season and he has a better chance of clearing waivers now than if he performs well in spring training.

The other point I've been trying to make is that Moore should have had an option left, but the Orioles decided to play a washed up 36 year old first baseman for nothing rather than evaluate him. Or they could have gone with one of the no-hit SS trio or even got a decent SS and kept Moore on the bench. I realize there isn't a spot for Moore on this team as it is constructed now. But there may not have been a need to sign Wigginton had Moore performed, and if the Orioles still wanted to sign Wigginton, they would still have an option left for Moore to send him down for another year and have him back up with the team in 2010 when he would have another chance to win a roster spot.

What the Orioles have done is basically thrown away a potential corner IF option without evaluating him properly at the ML level...

Ah, this makes sense. It's funny that someone can adamantly label this move and the Salazar DFA with hyperbolic critique.

Maybe they're secret best friends. ;)

Maybe they used to go to ballgames and drink beers together? I'm not sure, but Scott Moore is likely going to clear waivers so he and JTrea can get back to their glory days.

I'm not saying Scott Moore is a bad player, but he is an average player. As power corner infielders, Snyder and Rowell have more promise.

Let's be realistic here, Scott Moore is a career .260 hitter in the minor leagues. After three years in the Detroit system he was regarded as a bust. They traded him to the Cubs and he put together a good 2005 campaign. Yes, I agree, while he had a very limited opportunity with the Orioles, he displayed a poor attitude when demoted. There doesn't appear to be a roster spot open for Moore, especially with the addition of Wigginton. Speaking of, Wigginton would be Moore's ceiling, at best. Wigginton is a surer bet than Moore, so Moore was DFA'd. He'll land somewhere, but he appears destined to be a Quad-A type player. Maybe he'll breakout somewhere in 2009, but that's not likely enough to not sign Wigginton.

I'd display a poor attitude too. Trembley absolutely disrespected Moore in every way possible. I'm beginning to think that Moore ate Trembley's dog or something. Homeslice never got a chance, and Trembley flat out lied to him on more than one occasion about playing time.

Hey Trembley, you talk about respecting the game, how about you respecting your players? Putting Millar or Mora out there time and time again was just ridiculous in 2008 (how bad were they during the beginning of the season again???). Lying to Moore saying that he'd be playing 4 or 5 games in a row, and then not only not playing him, but dropped him to the minors, bravo. And then doing the same earlier in the season (saying he'll get playing time and didn't).

I'd display a poor attitude too. Trembley absolutely disrespected Moore in every way possible. I'm beginning to think that Moore ate Trembley's dog or something. Homeslice never got a chance, and Trembley flat out lied to him on more than one occasion about playing time.

Hey Trembley, you talk about respecting the game, how about you respecting your players? Putting Millar or Mora out there time and time again was just ridiculous in 2008 (how bad were they during the beginning of the season again???). Lying to Moore saying that he'd be playing 4 or 5 games in a row, and then not only not playing him, but dropped him to the minors, bravo. And then doing the same earlier in the season (saying he'll get playing time and didn't).

What in God's name are you talking about? How would you know this as a fact? Are you related to Jtrea or Moore? ;)

JTrea - If he does pass through waivers... will that be enough to prove to you that he doesn't pocess the type of value you believe he has?

I'm going to be pleasantly surprised if he does make it. The Jays claimed Brian Burres who was horrible, so I fully expect Moore to be claimed.

What in God's name are you talking about? How would you know this as a fact? Are you related to Jtrea or Moore? ;)

I'm friends with someone close to the players. But not only that, but it was even in a few articles (ESPN, MLB.com) and on 105.7 that Trembley was going to play Moore in the double header at the time as well as the next 2 games. I remember him promising to play him in 4 consecutive days, or something of that nature. Not to mention earlier in the season prior.

Archived