Wigginton Official/Moore DFA

fearthenoodle

I'm friends with someone close to the players. But not only that, but it was even in a few articles (ESPN, MLB.com) and on 105.7 that Trembley was going to play Moore in the double header at the time as well as the next 2 games. I remember him promising to play him in 4 consecutive days, or something of that nature. Not to mention earlier in the season prior.

So you heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who...the old sour grapes vine?

Seriously, Scott Moore is not a major league baseball player at the point in time, the only people that think so are apparently Scott Moore, you, and JTrea.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep a first round pick that could play the corner IF spots and due to poor roster management from the Orioles never got his chance, and then his stats suffered because he was sent to the worst ballpark in baseball for a LH power hitter and he had to completely change his plate approach to play there.

Had the Orioles got rid of Millar before 2008 when he had some trade value, they could have played Moore who could have put up Millar's #'s IMO, still signed Wigginton in the offseason and stashed Moore in the minors with his last option if they felt he had some more things to work on at the AAA level.

Instead they played Millar for nothing, wasted Moore's option and now are going to lose him for nothing...

While I'm not a big Scott Moore fan, the Orioles have been doing this sort of thing throughout the recent 11-year demise. Remember Calvin Pickering? Didn't he win the triple crown in AA ball and then get sent back to AAA so we could sign and play an aging Will Clark (one of the most overrated and overpaid players of all time)? Calvin never seemed to recover from that.

With luck, last year's choice of Millar over Moore will be the last case of playing the over-the-hill mediocre veteran over the young unestablished player with upside for a while.

I'd be shocked if Scott Moore does not pass through waivers and then assigned to Norfolk.

Thank you for saying it. If Salazar didn't get claimed, there is little chance Moore will be.

...and thank you for saying this. It really puts things into perspective considering Salazar's hitting ability.

In PARTIAL defense of our buddy JTrea, here ... (why do I do these things to myself???) ...

I don't buy the JTrea argument that Moore should have been on the roster last season rather than Millar (sorry pal) or as our backup SS. However, I think there's a more solid case supporting the idea that Moore could have and should have survived on the roster, all season, had we stayed with a 12-man pitching staff all year -- something that I believe would have been feasible had Trembley used a long-man-for-many-innings rather than many-guys-for-few-innings-each approach for the bullpen. Overall, I'm a big DT supporter. But his bullpen management, IMO, left a lot to be desired. And I do think this connection with the Moore roster spot is valid.

Moore could have contributed nicely last year by giving Mora some solid time off (and remember that Mora played through some injuries during the year that should some have earned him a lot more rest). Moore also could have spelled Millar at first. Moreover, he would have been a valuable LH PH for the SS of the hour. Had the team gone down that path, Moore could indeed have been optioned this year to give him a chance to refine his game a bit more at Norfolk -- and then maybe by 2010 he emerges as a challenger for the 3B job.

But ... like Tony says, Moore probably goes unclaimed now. And if that's the case, no harm, no foul. Moore might yet be the man of the hour ... next year.

While I'm not a big Scott Moore fan, the Orioles have been doing this sort of thing throughout the recent 11-year demise. Remember Calvin Pickering? Didn't he win the triple crown in AA ball and then get sent back to AAA so we could sign and play an aging Will Clark (one of the most overrated and overpaid players of all time)? Calvin never seemed to recover from that.

With luck, last year's choice of Millar over Moore will be the last case of playing the over-the-hill mediocre veteran over the young unestablished player with upside for a while.

I beg to differ. Although the same might have happened to Calvin in the way you look at it. He was a good minor league baseball player. He could hit Hrs, but that was about it. He only batted .232 in the pros overall. He wasn't that great in independent ball, but everyone considered the Northern League to be AA ball at best (hence why the Yankees offered my brother A+ and the Mariners offered AA). He played in the Atlantic league last year, only hitting .260 something before being let go. He did well in AA and AAA, but he could never move up, even with the Royals.

Will Clark might have been overated when he came to the O's, but he wasn't overrated as pro player. He was great in college at Mississippi State, and had a good pro career.

If Moore only hit .260 in his minor league career, he would have been much worse than that in the pros, .240 if he was lucky. I would much rather have had Millar's presence on the team, with the same numbers, than Moore. This is me speaking, since I don't know Moore that well. I am not at liberty to discuss personnel on the team's thoughts in regards to Moore, whether good or bad.

I beg to differ. Although the same might have happened to Calvin in the way you look at it. He was a good minor league baseball player. He could hit Hrs, but that was about it. He only batted .232 in the pros overall. He wasn't that great in independent ball, but everyone considered the Northern League to be AA ball at best (hence why the Yankees offered my brother A+ and the Mariners offered AA). He played in the Atlantic league last year, only hitting .260 something before being let go. He did well in AA and AAA, but he could never move up, even with the Royals.

Will Clark might have been overated when he came to the O's, but he wasn't overrated as pro player. He was great in college at Mississippi State, and had a good pro career.

If Moore only hit .260 in his minor league career, he would have been much worse than that in the pros, .240 if he was lucky. I would much rather have had Millar's presence on the team, with the same numbers, than Moore. This is me speaking, since I don't know Moore that well. I am not at liberty to discuss personnel on the team's thoughts in regards to Moore, whether good or bad.

El Sid, you're refering to his time after the Orioles organization. The year before we brought in Will I think Calvin hit .328 or so in Bowie. He might have led the league in hitting. I understand that after his Orioles tenure he never achieved much in the ML. I'm just saying that took the opportunity that should have gone to one of the best minor league players of the previous year and overpaid an aging vet to fill the role instead.

Signing 35 year old Will Clark was an absolute mistake in 1999. It further magnitude the frutility that the ballclub has done the past 11 season. Say what you want about what Pickering has done in the MLB or later in the years in the minors. The fact is that Pickering at age 21 at Bowie (AA) in 1998, hit -

309/425/566/991 - 139 G, 488 AB, 31 2B, 25 HR

And he deserved a shot to make the 1999 ballclub, but instead the ballclub decided to go with an aging veteran instead. Yes, Pickering pouted when he went to Rochester in 1999 and was never scene before, but still. He deserved a shot.

So you heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who...the old sour grapes vine?

Seriously, Scott Moore is not a major league baseball player at the point in time, the only people that think so are apparently Scott Moore, you, and JTrea.

Listen, I normally don't deal with fools like yourself if you're going to be a jerk from the get-go, but did you not read my entire post?

It was on MLB.com. It was on ESPN. It was on 105.7. It was confirmed by my friend who is directly friends with the players themselves. What else do you want? Did I piss you off because I might have knocked Mr. Trembley off his immortal pedestal? Please.

And where did I say Scott Moore was a major leaguer at this point in time? I just said Trembley disrespected the hell out of the kid.

I'm friends with someone close to the players. But not only that, but it was even in a few articles (ESPN, MLB.com) and on 105.7 that Trembley was going to play Moore in the double header at the time as well as the next 2 games. I remember him promising to play him in 4 consecutive days, or something of that nature. Not to mention earlier in the season prior.

I've heard you say this before. Has your source been vetted by the staff?

Signing 35 year old Will Clark was an absolute mistake in 1999. It further magnitude the frutility that the ballclub has done the past 11 season. Say what you want about what Pickering has done in the MLB or later in the years in the minors. The fact is that Pickering at age 21 at Bowie (AA) in 1998, hit -

309/425/566/991 - 139 G, 488 AB, 31 2B, 25 HR

And he deserved a shot to make the 1999 ballclub, but instead the ballclub decided to go with an aging veteran instead. Yes, Pickering pouted when he went to Rochester in 1999 and was never scene before, but still. He deserved a shot.

Calvin was the Eastern League MVP in 1998, if I'm not mistaken.

[QUOTE=JayThomas;1642850]While I'm not a big Scott Moore fan, the Orioles have been doing this sort of thing throughout the recent 11-year demise. Remember Calvin Pickering? Didn't he win the triple crown in AA ball and then get sent back to AAA so we could sign and play an aging Will Clark (one of the most overrated and overpaid players of all time)? Calvin never seemed to recover from that.

Do you really think this was Pickering's problem? He couldda been a contenduh?

I've heard you say this before. Has your source been vetted by the staff?

Now how the hell am I going to vet it? You guys can either choose to believe it or not. If they want to vet it or not, whatever. Let them contact me. Before even the Markakis stories were coming out regarding negotiations, I heard that Nick was about to sign a 6 year deal. It never came to fruition, but it was due to the money, not the length of the contract. Not just that either. There were a few other things I said.

Hell, the things about Moore that Trembley said were out in public to begin with, but y'all want to harp on the he said/she said bit, because y'all don't want Trembley to be knocked off his pristine pedestal.

Archived