Wigginton Official/Moore DFA

fearthenoodle

Well, you are making the argument that the only thing that Moore has proved is that he is soft and fragile. Is that the reason why 2 other teams gave up on him? A good spring training and a solid few weeks does not qualify you to replace a vet.

The vet should have never been there in the first place.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not saying Scott Moore is a bad player, but he is an average player. As power corner infielders, Snyder and Rowell have more promise.

Let's be realistic here, Scott Moore is a career .260 hitter in the minor leagues. After three years in the Detroit system he was regarded as a bust. They traded him to the Cubs and he put together a good 2005 campaign. Yes, I agree, while he had a very limited opportunity with the Orioles, he displayed a poor attitude when demoted. There doesn't appear to be a roster spot open for Moore, especially with the addition of Wigginton. Speaking of, Wigginton would be Moore's ceiling, at best. Wigginton is a surer bet than Moore, so Moore was DFA'd. He'll land somewhere, but he appears destined to be a Quad-A type player. Maybe he'll breakout somewhere in 2009, but that's not likely enough to not sign Wigginton.

Great post.

I'm not saying Scott Moore is a bad player, but he is an average player. As power corner infielders, Snyder and Rowell have more promise.

Let's be realistic here, Scott Moore is a career .260 hitter in the minor leagues. After three years in the Detroit system he was regarded as a bust. They traded him to the Cubs and he put together a good 2005 campaign. Yes, I agree, while he had a very limited opportunity with the Orioles, he displayed a poor attitude when demoted. There doesn't appear to be a roster spot open for Moore, especially with the addition of Wigginton. Speaking of, Wigginton would be Moore's ceiling, at best. Wigginton is a surer bet than Moore, so Moore was DFA'd. He'll land somewhere, but he appears destined to be a Quad-A type player. Maybe he'll breakout somewhere in 2009, but that's not likely enough to not sign Wigginton.

As I said, the Orioles could have played Moore and then stashed him at Norfolk this season if they wanted. Instead they sent him down and wasted his option for nothing. And unlike Wigginton, Moore would be under team control for 5 years. He could have been a replacement for Mora in 2010 or at least a useful bench player.

As I said, the Orioles could have played Moore and then stashed him at Norfolk this season if they wanted. Instead they sent him down and wasted his option for nothing. And unlike Wigginton, Moore would be under team control for 5 years.

Under control for 5 years... so what?

Just a AAAA kind of player.

Yep a first round pick that could play the corner IF spots and due to poor roster management from the Orioles never got his chance, and then his stats suffered because he was sent to the worst ballpark in baseball for a LH power hitter and he had to completely change his plate approach to play there.

Had the Orioles got rid of Millar before 2008 when he had some trade value, they could have played Moore who could have put up Millar's #'s IMO, still signed Wigginton in the offseason and stashed Moore in the minors with his last option if they felt he had some more things to work on at the AAA level.

Instead they played Millar for nothing, wasted Moore's option and now are going to lose him for nothing...

You make more excuses for this guy than his mother. He stunk last year, period. He might get picked up on a waiver claim, and if he is, he might get cut again before the end of spring training. Big deal. It amazes me the types of players that people get hung up on around here.

....and the 2007 Steve Trachsel trade has officially become completely meaningless.

Renshaw is still in the minors. He was the third player added. He's projected by Tony to play at Bowie this year, although I'm not sure he'll start that high.

While I agree that Waters is less likely to ever play in the Majors again than Moore is (and certainly at a lower quality level), I think the fact that Moore is out of options necessitated this move. It was either do it now and force a team to claim him based more on the season he had last year or risk him having a good spring training which would increase the chances of a team claiming him when they inevitably sent him down at the end of of the spring. There simply isn't a roster spot open for him this season and he has a better chance of clearing waivers now than if he performs well in spring training.

But AAAA players can be very valuable bench players if not stopgap starters.

And Millar couldn't have provided a bench role sufficiently? I don't get your argument, as nothing Moore has done within the O's organization, outside the 3 weeks in ST, have demonstrated that he's a future ML player with better management. Yet he's justified and Millar is not? I agree that the latter shouldn't have been starting, but Moore did nothing to show he's a necessary commodity for this team.

Small sample size or not, there's no need to overstate Moore's value when there are plenty of AAAA players in our system. Plus with Freel, Gomez, and Wigginton, where does he fit it? My reaction is one of "who cares?"

And Millar couldn't have provided a bench role sufficiently? I don't get your argument, as nothing Moore has done within the O's organization, outside the 3 weeks in ST, have demonstrated that he's a future ML player with better management. Yet he's justified and Millar is not? I agree that the latter shouldn't have been starting, but Moore did nothing to show he's a necessary commodity for this team.

Small sample size or not, there's no need to overstate Moore's value when there are plenty of AAAA players in our system. Plus with Freel, Gomez, and Wigginton, where does he fit it? My reaction is one of "who cares?"

JTrea is a Scott Moore apologist. The good news is that Moore has a better shot of making a MLB roster in 2009 now than he did yesterday.

While I agree that Waters is less likely to ever play in the Majors again than Moore is (and certainly at a lower quality level), I think the fact that Moore is out of options necessitated this move. It was either do it now and force a team to claim him based more on the season he had last year or risk him having a good spring training which would increase the chances of a team claiming him when they inevitably sent him down at the end of of the spring. There simply isn't a roster spot open for him this season and he has a better chance of clearing waivers now than if he performs well in spring training.

And we have a winner... tell him what he won Johnny!

Archived