The Brewers as Trade Partners

Jim'sKid26

12 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I am not trading Jackson Holliday for any player on the Brewers roster.  Next. 

I wonder if the #1 prospect in baseball has ever been traded? This is for pure entertainment purposes because the Os would never do this, but I wonder if other teams in our position would see that the emergence of Gunnar as a legit SS stud alpha would make them consider using Jackson as trade bait for someone that would offer the moon for him. The Os would still be in good shape with infield depth (and high end depth), and it would certainly allow them to get a young stud pitcher.

Again, I know it’s not happening, but I don’t think that it would be the craziest thing ever.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Getting both is going to be too expensive in terms of player capital for a 1 year run.   You have both players for this year and Williams for 2025.

Corbin Burnes is good but talk about a pitcher trending in the wrong direction.  

Burnes had WAR of a few points lower than Braddish. His 2023 had a better gb% then 2022, a lower average batted velocity, a lower barrel rate, and lower of hard hits. Yes his K rate went down a strikeout. I would hardly say that is trending in the wrong direction. He had a terrible month in June or his numbers would have been far better. A 2.71 era in the second half certainly doesn't support your opinion that he is on the down side. I was Philly in July for the game he pitched against the Phillies. He made them look stupid the whole game. Struck out 11-12 I don't remember. He would be a huge addition to our rotation. BUT, he is a Boras client. So...extension not gonna happen. 

40 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

It sounds great, but cannot imagine we give up what it takes to get that deal done given Burnes only has the one year left. With that in mind, if I'm going to trade for one of the two of them, it's Williams. I'm personally in the camp of trading for an elite closer and signing Gray or E-Rod. (Of course, I doubt either happens realistically, but that's what I think SHOULD happen). 

If you can put Williams in the 9th inning (or Bednar from the Pirates), you basically recreate what was so HUGE for the Orioles in 2023 with a lockdown 9th, Cano in the 8th and then a selection of lefties and righties to get you there. 

THEN, in 2025, you have one more year of Williams who can give you a nice transition back to Bautista who probably shouldn't be pushed right back into the closer role after missing more than a year. BUT once he's back to form, a tandem of Williams and Bautista, shortens the game to a 7-inning affair. 

Plus Hall, who I believe is ready for a late innings role.

5 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

I wonder if the #1 prospect in baseball has ever been traded? This is for pure entertainment purposes because the Os would never do this, but I wonder if other teams in our position would see that the emergence of Gunnar as a legit SS stud alpha would make them consider using Jackson as trade bait for someone that would offer the moon for him. The Os would still be in good shape with infield depth (and high end depth), and it would certainly allow them to get a young stud pitcher.

Again, I know it’s not happening, but I don’t think that it would be the craziest thing ever.

Moncada.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Burnes had WAR of a few points lower than Braddish. His 2023 had a better gb% then 2022, a lower average batted velocity, a lower barrel rate, and lower of hard hits. Yes his K rate went down a strikeout. I would hardly say that is trending in the wrong direction. He had a terrible month in June or his numbers would have been far better. A 2.71 era in the second half certainly doesn't support your opinion that he is on the down side. I was Philly in July for the game he pitched against the Phillies. He made them look stupid the whole game. Struck out 11-12 I don't remember. He would be a huge addition to our rotation. BUT, he is a Boras client. So...extension not gonna happen. 

His ERA and FIP have increased the last three years.  His walk rate has increased the last three years from 1.9 to 3.1 and his strikeouts have decreased the last 3 years going from about 12 per 9 to 9+ per 9.   He was still very good in 2023 and a good bet to be very good in 2024 but there are some troubling signs moving forward.

59 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

An historical trade that I think is always worth remembering for those seeing what might work, is:

Marlins Trade: Josh Beckett (young stud P), Mike Lowell (expensive, aging good player) and Guillermo Mota (reliever, expensive?), offloaded ~$30 million in future salary

Red Sox Trade: Hanley Ramirez (top SS prospect), Anibal Sanchez (mid-rotation starter) + Jesus Delgado (young minor league starter, not sure how highly he was rated)

I don't think the O's do this trade. They took on an expensive player and gave up a top prospect and decent starter. But I do think this is how trades like this happen. A similar approach for the O's might include taking on a big salary but sending back a guy like Hays or Santander to offset the cash outlay.

For who could I see this happening? Juan Soto. He'd be perfect here, but alas it's almost certainly a pipe dream.

Zero chance they would deal Holliday for Soto.

27 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Well if you were Milwaukee, you’d be keeping Burnes and either moving him for less at the deadline or for nothing when he walks 

Well goodness, if that were to happen just think of all the derision I might suffer at the hands of complete strangers on the internet.

You have to think that Burnes and Williams together would generate more interest than just from the Orioles, so there would be competition for their services.  Still if no acceptable deal was found then I would just have to settle for still having a couple of really good pitchers on my team for a while longer.  Of course it's a consideration, but it seems to me that maximizing a player's trade value too often takes on more importance than it deserves.

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

His ERA and FIP have increased the last three years.  His walk rate has increased the last three years from 1.9 to 3.1 and his strikeouts have decreased the last 3 years going from about 12 per 9 to 9+ per 9.   He was still very good in 2023 and a good bet to be very good in 2024 but there are some troubling signs moving forward.

You are correct. However, not sure how many starters are carrying 12.63k's per 9. Is he that guy, no, that pitcher doesn't exist. So comparing him to that might be a bit unfair even though its backs your argument. But IMO, CB is a legit #1. Dropping everyone down a notch. I would then prefer to grab another solid guy making Means my 5.

I would much rather go after Freddy Peralta then Burns because of the 2 option years he has left on his contract.   He would cost a good amount as well with those option years at a pretty low cost.  The Brewers really struggled with offense this year in the power market but still look to be in the win now mode.  Could they be interested in some vets like Santander, Mullins, Hays to help out their and their outfield.  Would they be interested in a Mullins or Santander for Peralta type deal.  

Well we don’t need a closer- Williams for 3 years. Burnes is my target and he’s down to 1 year. I’m guessing he gets 15-18 million in arb. 

id start an offer with Cowser/Ortiz, Beavers, Povich/McDermott, and Benscome/Almeyda

If they ask for Holiday I laugh while hanging up.

Edited by Roll Tide

20 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

I would much rather go after Freddy Peralta then Burns because of the 2 option years he has left on his contract.   He would cost a good amount as well with those option years at a pretty low cost.  The Brewers really struggled with offense this year in the power market but still look to be in the win now mode.  Could they be interested in some vets like Santander, Mullins, Hays to help out their and their outfield.  Would they be interested in a Mullins or Santander for Peralta type deal.  

I’d be surprised if they’d want our veteran players at or near the end of their contracts if they are willing to trade their ace and closer.

49 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Well goodness, if that were to happen just think of all the derision I might suffer at the hands of complete strangers on the internet.

You have to think that Burnes and Williams together would generate more interest than just from the Orioles, so there would be competition for their services.  Still if no acceptable deal was found then I would just have to settle for still having a couple of really good pitchers on my team for a while longer.  Of course it's a consideration, but it seems to me that maximizing a player's trade value too often takes on more importance than it deserves.

I think the two players are more valuable in different trades. 

I wonder if this leak is just preparing the ground for a Brandon Woodruff non-tender soon.    Cot's guesses him at $12mm for his A4 - the GM last month gave a quote he's now expected to miss most of 2024 following shoulder surgery.

Craig Counsell jumping ship if you want to be mean about it might be taken as a vote of no confidence in the rest of the roster.