Elias: Os looking for a top half of the rotation starter and closer

Sports Guy

The source of the MLBTR piece is Jake Rill’s interview yesterday.  Here are some direct quotes:

Starter:  “There are a lot of teams going for it this offseason, and so I think saying we have to acquire an ace this winter is setting ourselves up for possible disappointment,” Elias said.

“I’m being a little more broad with that, because I think our team could just benefit from an upgrade to our rotation,” Elias said. “Somebody that projects for the front half of the rotation would be wonderful.”

Bullpen: “We’re looking. I can’t predict what outcome we get this winter, but we’re looking. I think having somebody who has closed before would be really nice,” Elias said. “We really want to get another back-end reliever, and maybe that guy is the closer.”

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-offseason-priorities-starting-pitcher-reliever

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Maybe the most interesting thing about this article is that Elias DIDN'T say that he was looking for a proven middle-of-the-order bat.  

Why? They had a top 10 offense last season and have a farm system loaded with bats. It seems to me that would be pretty low on the priority list, especially if he's working with budget constraints as most of us suspect.