Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

Any chance the O's would include Adam Frazier in a deal, or is he off limits like the catcher and infielder? 2B has been a black hole for the White Sox for years. 

I'm sorry but this HAS to be some high quality trolling. It's really impressive to tie Adam Frazier into the Dylan Cease thread IMO, well done.

The rest of the AL East could’ve put some heat on Elias to up his offer for Cease, but that hasn’t happened. What is the market for Cease?

Yankees - Moved onto Stroman. Snell?

Dodgers - Added Yamamota and Glasnow.

Braves - Moved onto Sale

Reds - got rejected

Mets - why would they trade prospects when they just paid like $50 million to buy prospects. Makes zero sense.

Boston - seems like they want Montgomery if they make a splashy signing.

Giants - Ray and Hicks. Snell?

Texas - Montgomery or stand pat.

I don’t dislike the CWS board at all. We all wanted the world for Bedard. Can’t blame them. Their GM has hit big on this trade. Our GM doesn’t. They could say they’ll wait for an injury in ST, but Montgomery and/or Snell might be out there. They’re going to have to gamble and hope he has a good 1st half. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The rest of the AL East could’ve put some heat on Elias to up his offer for Cease, but that hasn’t happened. What is the market for Cease?

Yankees - Moved onto Stroman. Snell?

Dodgers - Added Yamamota and Glasnow.

Braves - Moved onto Sale

Reds - got rejected

Mets - why would they trade prospects when they just paid like $50 million to buy prospects. Makes zero sense.

Boston - seems like they want Montgomery if they make a splashy signing.

Giants - Ray and Hicks. Snell?

Texas - Montgomery or stand pat.

I don’t dislike the CWS board at all. We all wanted the world for Bedard. Can’t blame them. Their GM has hit big on this trade. Our GM doesn’t. They could say they’ll wait for an injury in ST, but Montgomery and/or Snell might be out there. They’re going to have to gamble and hope he has a good 1st half. 

Seems like Getz overplayed his hand. I feel bad for the guy, being brand new to the job. Hopefully Cease has a 2022-like first half, and Getz can save face a bit at the deadline.

Then they still have their most valuable MLB asset, Robert. Shame to see that wasted on such a bad team.

4 hours ago, dystopia said:

They think they’re getting twice the return for Cease as we did for Machado. Yes, Machado was a rental, but he was a better player. 

I’ve mentioned that on their board and that the Orioles waited too long. They are t interested…they blindly trust Getz. 

10 minutes ago, ChicagoTerp said:

Seems like Getz overplayed his hand. I feel bad for the guy, being brand new to the job. Hopefully Cease has a 2022-like first half, and Getz can save face a bit at the deadline.

Then they still have their most valuable MLB asset, Robert. Shame to see that wasted on such a bad team.

I can see Getz’s point of view. He’s a new GM. There’s only so many of those jobs, and there’s no guarantee he gets another one if he fails. He’s taken over a team that has “underperformed” the last 2-3 years. They’ve been hit with the injury bug. They’re not equipped for a full rebuild. Eloy, and Bennetendi, have contracts that can’t be moved. It’s a weak division. Honestly, it’s probably the right move for him to keep Cease till the deadline. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/white-sox

Look at their roster.

The trade package that makes the most sense for them is a top SP prospect.  We don’t have that type of headliner, and won’t at the deadline either.  

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/central-notes-guardians-cubs-cease-gorman.html

White Sox right-hander Dylan Cease has been the topic of plenty of trade talks throughout the offseason, and WEII’s Rob Bradford recently spoke to the hurler about the barrage of rumors about his future this winter. Cease told Bradford that he takes most rumors “with a grain of salt” and noted that he hasn’t spoken with the club’s front office about the possibility of a trade, though he did acknowledge that “Publicly saying it’s an option is like an indirect way of letting me know.” Cease added that whether or not he’s traded has no impact on his offseason work, saying that “At the end of the day, it really isn’t my job… My job is to perform wherever I go and be a good player.” 

It doesn't sound like Cease is planning on returning to the South Side....

• Thanks 1

Jim Duquette on XM Radio (2:15pm yesterday): Orioles have made an offer on Cease, it's a good one, but Elias' has been very disciplined on offers he has been putting out there, and it doesnt need to go up. Then Bowden agreed: "Yeah, it doesnt need to go up"

Maybe interesting if for nothing else just to see the messaging that gets put out there (by a show literally called "Front Office" that routinely pokes at Boras and hardline agents all the time, so it's very friendly to teams putting out messaging perhaps)

From the White Sox Board

• Thanks 1

I’ll be happy for the Orioles to move on and the 250+ pages of Cease discussion to end. 3.91ERA in 2021, 2.20 in 2022, and all other years over 4 (4.58 last year). He looks like a guy who had a career year in 2022 and promptly fell back to earth. He’d be behind GrayRod and Bradish, behind Means if he returns to pre-injury form, and I’m not even convinced he’s better than Kremer. He probably marginally improves our back end of the rotation for a couple years. If we give up anything significant for that, I’ll be remarkably disappointed.

• Upvote 1

An underlying theme from WS fans is that because they need to get a lot for Cease, that means they should keep holding out for what they want even if no team is close to meeting a high asking price. It’s such a bad way of looking at this.  Would hope Getz isn’t that short sighted.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

An underlying theme from WS fans is that because they need to get a lot for Cease, that means they should keep holding out for what they want even if no team is close to meeting a high asking price. It’s such a bad way of looking at this.  Would hope Getz isn’t that short sighted.

Sounds like we have a standing offer for Cease by the report. Doesn’t appear To Elias is going to cave.

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If the Orioles don’t make a move for another starter then there’s nothing wrong with Getz holding out for more.  It’s only a bad move if he loses out on a fair deal that’s already been offered.