Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Tyler Glasnow.   

Rumors are the Rays are also being asked about Arozarena and Paredes as the rest of the league watches the cheap unfold.

I have a bit of a gut feeling between the Glasnow cheap, McClanahan absence and Wander whatever 2024 might be a bit of an off year for the Rays.    Certainly curious to see the MLB/Minors mix of their Glasnow return.

For today at least, Rays $50mm ahead of the Orioles on forecast 2024 payroll, with Tampa's Glasnow -25 on deck.

Glasnow is interesting.  One year left on his deal, $25M.  Dominant went on, but so susceptible to injuries. I'd trade for Glasnow but would not give up a ton for him.

Here is an article I wrote about the prospect of a deal for Glasnow for those interested. 

https://birdswatcher.com/posts/does-a-trade-for-a-division-rival-ace-make-sense-for-the-orioles-01hgbk9wgrwv

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t think Elias wants to trade top prospects for a one year rental which is why I don’t see us in on Burnes either.

Agreed. One-year rentals just feel bad. We already gave up a solid depth SP and a 2B prospect for 2 months of the Ghost of Jack Flaherty. Elias really needs to win whatever trade he makes next. Sending a couple of top 10 guys+ for a year of Glasnow or Burnes ain't it. And it's borderline with Cease, too. 

I'm greedy and I want years of control, damnit. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Agreed. One-year rentals just feel bad. We already gave up a solid depth SP and a 2B prospect for 2 months of the Ghost of Jack Flaherty. Elias really needs to win whatever trade he makes next. Sending a couple of top 10 guys+ for a year of Glasnow or Burnes ain't it. And it's borderline with Cease, too. 

Name some of those starters who have 3 or more years of control who would likely be on the trading block.

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

They gave of up  nothing for Flash, Who's you're solid depth SP

11 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

They gave of up  nothing for Flash, Who's you're solid depth SP

I really disagree. Rom is a depth LH SP, #5/swingman type guy. There's value there. We've been using Zimmermann for that role for years. Prieto could start at 2B on a handful of teams and hold his own. 

That said, Elias had to make a move so it is what it is. Can't win em all. I do 100% buy that we wanted Cease and Chicago's ask was likely absurd because they are an absurd organization. 

Edited by interloper

40 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Glasnow is interesting.  One year left on his deal, $25M.  Dominant went on, but so susceptible to injuries. I'd trade for Glasnow but would not give up a ton for him.

Here is an article I wrote about the prospect of a deal for Glasnow for those interested. 

https://birdswatcher.com/posts/does-a-trade-for-a-division-rival-ace-make-sense-for-the-orioles-01hgbk9wgrwv

IMO, the Rays are looking to get that 25M off the books.  Taking back someone like Santander kind of defeats the whole purpose.  Lots of reasons why the Orioles and Rays aren’t a good match on this.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

In Roch’s latest column, he talks about how a scout said they need a pitcher back and that the scout thinks the WS would want Westburg.

In trading Westburg before I deal Cowser but I’m not sure we have the pitcher they would want unless they want Kremer.

They will just need someone to eat some innings, Irvin can do that, no need to trade Kremer.

6 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

They will just need someone to eat some innings, Irvin can do that, no need to trade Kremer.

That would be a pretty hilarious trade. Westburg and Irvin for Cease? I'd do that all day, which means the White Sox will not. 

Edited by interloper

40 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm with you on this one. If Elias is going to have to give up a couple top 10 prospects to land a pitcher, then I want this player to have couple years of control left before free agency. 

Maybe sometime in the future going all in for a player with one year of control left makes more sense, but I don't think that time is now. We've only seen a little of what the prospects in the Orioles farm system are capable of as MLB players.

26 minutes ago, interloper said:

That would be a pretty hilarious trade. Westburg and Irvin for Cease? I'd do that all day, which means the White Sox will not. 

lol, I never said that.  I think all of the packages that have been floated include two prospects and a pitcher to replace Cease innings.

Cowser + Westburg/Ortiz /Norby + Irvin