Who are the 2023 Orioles #1 and #2 prospects?

Tony-OH

Who are the 2023 Orioles #1 and #2 prospects?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the 2023 Orioles #1 and #2 prospects?

• Basallo and Holliday
    • Holliday and Basallo

This poll is closed to new votes

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Barring injury…or mediocre play.

If McCann is sucking and Basallo is ready, that move could easily be made.

It isn’t something you see until July or August imo but it could happen.

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think that could be the timing as well.  

I'll be pretty shocked if we see Basallo on the Orioles this year. That would be way out of character for Elias' typical promotion scheme. I don't believe they would start Basallo's clock just to back up C, and there are more than enough other candidates for those 1b/DH at-bats. 

I think a major Rutschman injury is about the only circumstance that would lead to Basallo debuting next year. 

Just now, Spy Fox said:

I'll be pretty shocked if we see Basallo on the Orioles this year. That would be way out of character for Elias' typical promotion scheme. I don't believe they would start Basallo's clock just to back up C, and there are more than enough other candidates for those 1b/DH at-bats. 

I think a major Rutschman injury is about the only circumstance that would lead to Basallo debuting next year. 

How is out oh character? Basallo will be in AA to start the year after ending the season there in 2023. If he is performing at a high level by June, he goes to AAA.  Another few months in AAA and if he’s performing well there and if there is a ML need for him, he will be brought up. It would be similar timing to Gunnar.

Also keep in mind that Basallo would likely be an easy guy to extend, if the Os ever do that.

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Well SG said the timing could be as soon as the end of this season and I don't totally disagree with that for the reasons he mentioned in the post above.  If he's brought up this year, I don't believe he's going to play enough to lose his rookie status, but I could see him come up in late August/September for a spell, provided he's done well at Bowie and Norfolk.  I don't think that's completely out of the question.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Barring injury…or mediocre play.

If McCann is sucking and Basallo is ready, that move could easily be made.

It isn’t something you see until July or August imo but it could happen.

That’s asking a lot.  Not saying it’s impossible, but I’ll be happy if Basallo does well enough to earn 1-2 months at AAA.  He took big leaps last year but it’s not that easy to get to from AA to the majors as a catcher. 

The simple fact that even thinking about if Basallo is better than Holladay and not laughing about it straight away is an extreme compliment to how good Basallo looks.  Think Basallo gets a spring training invite?  I think maybe he does just to introduce him to all the players.  

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

The simple fact that even thinking about if Basallo is better than Holladay and not laughing about it straight away is an extreme compliment to how good Basallo looks.  Think Basallo gets a spring training invite?  I think maybe he does just to introduce him to all the players.  

He's a Catcher, it's almost all hands on deck for Catchers at the beginning of Spring Training.

100% he's there.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

He absolutely will.  They always need a bunch of catchers in spring training anyway.