Do the 2024 Orioles need to score more runs than the team did in 2023?

Jim'sKid26

Yes, they probably need to score more runs and/or give up less runs. And I feel pretty strongly that the right way to do this is to improve the pitching and bank on the maturation / continued developed of some of their younger offensive players. And if they keep some of the veterans (i.e., Mateo) then Elias needs to have a nice long talk with Hyde about his vision and make sure that he understands that he's to be a bench bat / day off fill in and nothing more. Guys like Westberg and Kjerstad need to get at least 350+ ABs this season unless they really struggle. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I think we’ll be fine with internal options.  Cowser, Kjerstad, Westburg, Holliday, Mayo, Ortiz, and Norby are all either ready or really close.   Combined with the incumbents we should be able to improve.

I think you will be fine with them if you play them and get rid of others. Mateo & Urias need to go. One of Monutcastle or Hays should probably go eventually. I don't trust O'hearn do repeat.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

I think you will be fine with them if you play them and get rid of others. Mateo & Urias need to go. One of Monutcastle or Hays should probably go eventually. I don't trust O'hearn do repeat.

I have no problem with Urias and Mateo but I’d like to see Henderson, and two other young guys as the starters.   O’Hearn is going to have to earn playing time just like last year.

Need to? No. Want to? Sure, it would be nice. Replacing Mateo, Frazier, and Urias AB's with Westburg and Holliday should help. Incremental improvement from the young players would be nice. Hope Mullins gets healthy. That's a spot that could be improved if he bounces back or through a replacement if he continues his second half.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

This would be a horrible move from a depth perspective. Both players have MLB success defensively and have shown impact bats, at times. You don’t give that depth up on a whim. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

This would be a horrible move from a depth perspective. Both players have MLB success defensively and have shown impact bats, at times. You don’t give that depth up on a whim. 

Respectively disagree. Neither Mateo or Urias are "impact" bats.  At least one of them needs to go, because they're potentially blocking the development of younger players with higher ceilings like Westberg and Holliday. I'd personally trade Mateo because I think Hyde would be less tempted to play Urias on a regular basis. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

Respectively disagree. Neither Mateo or Urias are "impact" bats.  At least one of them needs to go, because they're potentially blocking the development of younger players with higher ceilings like Westberg and Holliday. I'd personally trade Mateo because I think Hyde would be less tempted to play Urias on a regular basis. 

I would guess the opposite.  Urias got a lot more playing time in the 2nd half than Mateo did.   

Yes, but this can be accomplished two ways by scoring more runs or score the same amount from runs with better pitching. I expect as the younger players in the organization mature the offense is going to get more productive over the next few seasons.

Talent wise we've only seen just a little of what these prospects are capable of as hitters.

30 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Okay, but you are expecting above level replacement level on their prospects during WS aspirations. Both are above replacement and make the Orioles pitchers look good. 

7 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Okay, but you are expecting above level replacement level on their prospects during WS aspirations. Both are above replacement and make the Orioles pitchers look good. 

I mean wasn't that the reason for this painfully long rebuild? If they don't trust the process / their evaluation of young talent then what was  even the whole point of all this whole thing in the first place? 

2 hours ago, Since1984 said:

Agree on characterizing Mateo and Urias (and Mounty and Hays for that matter) as experienced "depth" at this point. Disagree that having impact bats "at times" warrants much playing time, or that trading them is "horrible" or a "whim." On the contrary, I think it's prime time to trade them (tho not necessarily all 4) at their peak value for our greater need, pitching.

We need a big reliable slugger against left handed pitching... especially with runners in scoring position. That would get us over the hump. Too many times there were wasted opportunities with base runners in good position, or late in the season when the offense just disappeared altogether in important games. (Like the playoffs).

Then you look at the team that actually won the world series, and their entire lineup was very good from top to bottom. They also had a few of the league's leading home run sluggers.