MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

39 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

We fans seem to be great at articulating why our guys would be perfect fits for other teams.   When we have to make a case why our guy would be so much better off "not here", there's likely a reason that guy is still here.  

I like to think about it this way....would any of us want to actually trade someone decent from our system to acquire Mateo if he wasn't here?

Apples and oranges.  The Orioles have no need to acquire a middle infielder.

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

Apples and oranges.  The Orioles have no need to acquire a middle infielder.

If you had the need to acquire a middle infielder, and you were a GM, would you really target Mateo as the guy you want to go after?  Be honest.  He hasn't proven to be a consistent major league hitter, and I certainly wouldn't acquire him based on his April of 2023 and a few at bats in the playoffs.  Think about it, if the Marlins (or any other team for that matter) really wanted Mateo, I think he'd already be gone.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

If you had the need to acquire a middle infielder, and you were a GM, would you really target Mateo as the guy you want to go after?  Be honest.  He hasn't proven to be a consistent major league hitter, and I certainly wouldn't acquire him based on his April of 2023 and a few at bats in the playoffs.  Think about it, if the Marlins (or any other team for that matter) really wanted Mateo, I think he'd already be gone.

The only place Mateo has any perceived trade value is on an Orioles message board. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

The only place Mateo has any perceived trade value is on an Orioles message board. 

Mateo's speed, defense and under $3 million contract has enough value so you can't dismiss him out-of-hand.  The Dodgers' Miguel Rojas spent time on the IL in April and May and still found a way to get 423 PA in 2023 on the way to his 66 OPS+.  Just don't expect a whole lot in return.  FTR I would like nothing better that for Elias to trade Mateo so he's no longer in the way of more deserving prospects.

6 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

And how exactly would the bolded part help the Marlins? Also, it's a bit hard to steal bases when you don't get on base or hit. Also, the Marlins already have their own version of Mateo in Jon Berti. 

If you read carefully, you'll see that my point in that sentence was that it would be good for MATEO. Miami culture is a hybrid with Hispanic Caribbean culture, which is natural and comfortable for Mateo to live in. That part had nothing to do with the Marlins.

11 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Well he declined his $21M option with Cubs so I think he's probably banking on a multi-year deal worth at least $25M+ per year. 

I think he just thinks he can get a multi year deal for more total gtd money.

Im guessing he will sign a similar deal to what Gioloto signed.  Maybe a little more money but a 2 year deal with an opt out after a year sounds right.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I think he just thinks he can get a multi year deal for more total gtd money.

Im guessing he will sign a similar deal to what Gioloto signed.  Maybe a little more money but a 2 year deal with an opt out after a year sounds right.

It's definitely risky. I would have been tempted to take the $21M if I were him. 

3 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

It's definitely risky. I would have been tempted to take the $21M if I were him. 

Where’s the risk?   The chances of him doing worse than 1/21 are slim and none.  I think the estimates on him (2/44) are low in terms of years but we’ll see.

Edited by RZNJ

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Where’s the risk?   The chances of him doing worse than 1/21 are slim and none.  I think the estimates on him (2/44) are low in terms of years but we’ll see.

It's odd in that typically when players opt out it's because they think they can get more money AND more years. I think the Chris Bassitt contract is a pretty good comp for Stroman and I believe his base salary for '24 and '25 is right around $21M per season. Maybe he gets $22M and an extra year, but that seems small price to pay for the headache of having to deal with free agency a year earlier. 

11 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

It's odd in that typically when players opt out it's because they think they can get more money AND more years. I think the Chris Bassitt contract is a pretty good comp for Stroman and I believe his base salary for '24 and '25 is right around $21M per season. Maybe he gets $22M and an extra year, but that seems small price to pay for the headache of having to deal with free agency a year earlier. 

With the risk of injury always present, I’ll take the 3/63 deal (probably with an opt out) over 1/21.   I just don’t think there was any risk involved from opting out with the Cubs.  If he wants he can probably make the same money per year, get more guaranteed years, and still hit the market again next year if he chooses.   There was virtually no risk at all.

Edited by RZNJ