MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not every move is about getting better baseball-wise.

Would we describe a move the Orioles made that wasn't about getting better baseball-wise but only saving money as a "good" move?

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, interloper said:

Help me understand why that's a good deal for the M's - no snark here. On the surface it looks like they are trading a good veteran 32-yo SP under control until 2027 for a kind of washed up 33-yo Haniger and 33-yo DeSclafani who has amassed 120 IP over the last 2 years total. I know Ray had an injury season last year, but... you should at least be getting a prospect in this deal I would think. 

It's a salary dump plain and simple. Maybe not this season, but certainly in future seasons. The Mariners are banking on their young arms progressing and gambling on not needing Ray. And they're probably hoping they can squeeze like 700 productive/healhy total ABs out of Haniger between this season and next. He also has a history with the club. I can't say Iove the trade, because they really didn't get much back, but I definitely think trading Ray over any of their other SPs was probably the right move. 

Also, this probably means it's time to cross off the Mariners as a potential trade partner. I doubt any of their young SPs are available now (if they even were in the first place). 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Robbie Ray traded to the Giants..likely takes any of those young starters off the table we have discussed.  Great move for the Mariners.

That is hilarious, I was just thinking about whether trading for Ray while he's still injured to try to get him for a bargain since the M's reportedly need to cut payroll would be a good move the other day. I didn't think it would actually happen IRL though.

Crazy stuff.

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well I don't mind Luke Raley taking a hike out West. He was a pretty good lineup piece for the Rays. The IF they receive back isn't really an offensive threat. 

Raley is a very overrated player IMO. He completely fell off a cliff in the 2nd half. He's also older than you think (29). 

9 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Would we describe a move the Orioles made that wasn't about getting better baseball-wise but only saving money as a "good" move?

If they would have found a way to dump Chris Davis and his contract in the mid to late 2010s I certainly would have described it as a good move. 

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

If they would have found a way to dump Chris Davis and his contract in the mid to late 2010s I certainly would have described it as a good move. 

Sure.

If the Orioles had made a move today that wasn't about "getting better baseball wise" but was about "money" the people describing this move as "good" would be torching it.  That's a simple fact.

1 minute ago, ChicagoTerp said:

I'm confused. Didn't Robbie Ray just win the Cy Young in 2021? I know he's coming off TJ, but surely he had to be worth more than 2x 33 year olds?

He's going to miss half of 2024 and he has an opt out at the end of the year. He's not exactly cheap either.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I'm not sure I agree. If the O's cut or traded someone like Mateo to largely save money and the byproduct was that it freed up a roster spot for one of their young MIs I can't imagine too many folks being up in arms. And I'm not sure it would be any different than what the Mariners just did. I know that Ray is injured, but longer term they basically just freed up a spot for one of their young arms in the second half of the season. 

Mitch Haniger was good in Seattle so I think many of the fans hope he'll be good again.     Hopefully not as good as Santander or Hays in 2024 competition.

I don't know who is the world's best pitcher, but I am pretty sure Jose Caballero is the world's best Gerrit Cole irritant so that's kind of fun.

What are Julio and Big Dumper saying on the socials?