O's Acquire OF Peyton Burdick

ThisIsBirdland

I'm glad this was a move made after the start of spring so it didn't cost us a guy on the 40-man. I'm still a bit confused on McKenna's option situation this year. But could this be the up-and-down RHH OF guy to replace McKenna? Or if McKenna is out of options and since Hillard is out of options--and considering we are expecting to see Kjerstad and Cowser in the Majors much of the year, is this more of a signing to be sure we have the flexibility to still sport a competitive team and full OF in AAA? 

From Baseball America's write-up in early 2023: "Burdick's calling card is his power, which showed up in an average exit velocity of 90 mph during his short stint in the big leagues. To get to that power more often, he'll need to improve his approach. If he tries to use the whole field, he'll likely see big improvements in all aspects of his offensive game. If he continues to focus on trying to hit balls out to the pull side, he'll likely fit more into a power-over-hit profile. He also showed an extreme platoon split in the minors, where he hit just .186 against righthanders over 242 at-bats. Defensively, scouts are split on where he'll wind up. He played all three spots during his time in Miami, with a heavy emphasis on both center and left field. His speed should give him a chance in center field, but scouts differ on whether he can stick at that position."

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Dale said:

From Baseball America's write-up in early 2023: "Burdick's calling card is his power, which showed up in an average exit velocity of 90 mph during his short stint in the big leagues. To get to that power more often, he'll need to improve his approach. If he tries to use the whole field, he'll likely see big improvements in all aspects of his offensive game. If he continues to focus on trying to hit balls out to the pull side, he'll likely fit more into a power-over-hit profile. He also showed an extreme platoon split in the minors, where he hit just .186 against righthanders over 242 at-bats. Defensively, scouts are split on where he'll wind up. He played all three spots during his time in Miami, with a heavy emphasis on both center and left field. His speed should give him a chance in center field, but scouts differ on whether he can stick at that position."

He sounds like the Hays insurance policy.

Ah, the good ol’ Avian Phallic.  

He’s got tools but strikes out a ton.  He doesn’t have great contact ability, but loads of power, decent speed and will take pitches.  

If any team can unlock his potential, it’s the Orioles, Dodgers or Rays.  

• Haha 1

In the Minors he's shown good/great power and looks good with the glove. Seems like a RH version of Sam Hilliard, with less MLB experience. At this point I think I prefer both Hilliard and Burdick's skill set over McKenna. I'll be sad to see Ryan go but seems like the writing is on the wall. Between the two prospects, Stowers and now Hilliard/Burdick's arrivals, gonna be an uphill battle for McKenna to make the big league club

23 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

He sounds like the Hays insurance policy.

He also showed an extreme platoon split in the minors

Honestly, I kind of like that for a part-time player. Given the number of lefties we have in and around the OF (Mullins, Cowser, Kjerstad), might be good to have someone who is in a position to have better success in the opportunities available when they need days off.

Put another way, I would rather have a part-time player with .750/.650 OPS handedness splits vs. .700/.700 if I am going to be deploying them selectively anyway.