Hilliard claimed by the Rockies

wildcard

Interesting that Hilliard never played the outfield this spring, then was DFA'd early and then claimed by the Rockies.

Seems to be something more to the story because you would think he had a better chance of making it through waivers later in the spring then now when teams have more chances to look at guys.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Interesting. This ups the odds of both Kjerstad/Cowser making the roster, which is what I'm hoping for. 

Cowser is off to a great start this spring which is great to see.  I think Hilliard was a RH bat though so maybe that opens a possible opportunity for Norby to make the team.

4 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Interesting. This ups the odds of both Kjerstad/Cowser making the roster, which is what I'm hoping for. 

Could Daniel Johnson be in the running? In the DJ thread I said I don't know why everyone seemed to be pencilling in Hilliard.

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

Cowser is off to a great start this spring which is great to see.  I think Hilliard was a RH bat though so maybe that opens a possible opportunity for Norby to make the team.

Hilliard is a lefty.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

There's no reason to DFA him now especially if you want him to compete with McKenna and others. There must be a move coming, maybe just a waiver claim, but yeah. 

Why not wait to make this move along with the move that requires it?

Maybe he asked to be DFAed seeing the landscape here.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Maybe Elias and Hyde were not impressed by Hilliard.

The fact that Daniel Johnson got a lot more playing time than Hilliard suggests either they didn't like how Hilliard showed up to camp, he just didn't look good, or was banged up. More to this story for sure because a left-handed bat who was a good defensive outfielder, he was a good fit to give Hays a break. I think we will still see more moves. 

Half the fun this spring is watching Elias work the waiver wire. :D

• Upvote 4