It's done - We have new owners! - Press conference right now on masn Orioles YouTube channel

spleen1015

5 hours ago, baltfan said:

Can people stop acting as if Grant Hill with his tiny share has any pull in what happens for the Orioles?  He has as much pull as I do with Tim Cook based upon my owning Apple stock.  

Hey Baltfan , having some trouble with an Apple Watch, take care of that for me , Thanks

8 hours ago, baltfan said:

Can people stop acting as if Grant Hill with his tiny share has any pull in what happens for the Orioles?  He has as much pull as I do with Tim Cook based upon my owning Apple stock.  

First of all, nobody is suggesting that Hill has any significant pull.  Show me one posts that suggests he does.  

Bur second of all, assuming Hill put actual cash into this venture, I am sure Rubenstein shared with him (and the other equity owners) his vision for how he plans to run the team, in a more specific way than he has with the fans.  You don’t personally ask someone to invest without doing that.  People certainly want to know, are we investing in a cash cow where our goal is to extract cash to the maximum extent possible, or are we investing in a company that’s not going to pay dividends for several years because we are trying to win championships and grow the fan base?  And I would expect Rubenstein to be pretty frank about that with the people he asked to invest.   I expect the Angelos family was pretty frank with its investors as well.  It’s the proper way to treat the other owners, and a good way to avoid getting sued.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

First of all, nobody is suggesting that Hill has any significant pull.  Show me one posts that suggests he does.  

Bur second of all, assuming Hill put actual cash into this venture, I am sure Rubenstein shared with him (and the other equity owners) his vision for how he plans to run the team, in a more specific way than he has with the fans.  You don’t personally ask someone to invest without doing that.  People certainly want to know, are we investing in a cash cow where our goal is to extract cash to the maximum extent possible, or are we investing in a company that’s not going to pay dividends for several years because we are trying to win championships and grow the fan base?  And I would expect Rubenstein to be pretty frank about that with the people he asked to invest.   I expect the Angelos family was pretty frank with its investors as well.  It’s the proper way to treat the other owners, and a good way to avoid getting sued.

Most of these people investing are likely doing so for the upside--every team goes up in value--and the novelty of owning part of a sports team.  I am pretty confident that Grant Hill knows next to nothing about things like extensions etc...  I am sure there were broad discussions re: resource management but it isn't likely that Rubinstein was telling any of these people they might have to be out of pocket in any one season.  So, yeah, I am sure he gave Hill and others a broad vision, but I am also sure that for a guy like Hill he didn't have to give him much of a sell job.  I highly doubt Hill has a very substantial investment in the team.  If Hill said no to investing, there is probably a line out the door of others that would say yes.  

6 hours ago, One eyed Bird said:

Hey Baltfan , having some trouble with an Apple Watch, take care of that for me , Thanks

I will call Tim and see what he can do for you.  Are you looking for a replacement or refund?

16 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Most of these people investing are likely doing so for the upside--every team goes up in value--and the novelty of owning part of a sports team.  I am pretty confident that Grant Hill knows next to nothing about things like extensions etc...  I am sure there were broad discussions re: resource management but it isn't likely that Rubinstein was telling any of these people they might have to be out of pocket in any one season.  So, yeah, I am sure he gave Hill and others a broad vision, but I am also sure that for a guy like Hill he didn't have to give him much of a sell job.  I highly doubt Hill has a very substantial investment in the team.  If Hill said no to investing, there is probably a line out the door of others that would say yes.  

I’m sure Hill’s investment probably pales in comparison to the Ares guys and Michael Bloomberg’s.  Hill did make $143 mm playing basketball, has a net worth estimated at $250 mm and comes from an extremely successful family, so he knows more about the business of sports than the average Joe.  I’m not expecting Rubenstein is going to share every detail of business decisions with the investors, but I’d be pretty surprised if he didn’t give them a general outline of his plan and priorities before asking them to commit their money.  

“Grant also started a private equity mezzanine fund, Penta Capital, investing in well-capitalized, highly profitable businesses that are already servicing Fortune 1000 clients and government agencies meaningfully and at the very highest performance levels in their respective industries.”  https://www.granthill.com/hill-ventures

Edited by Frobby

17 hours ago, baltfan said:

No one said he has any pull. You an MD fan? Duke hater?

I bet he knows more about what Rubenstein's plan is for the O's than you do about any of it. It was just a little tid bit to share that I know people would be interested in seeing.