It's done - We have new owners! - Press conference right now on masn Orioles YouTube channel

spleen1015

1 hour ago, Warehouse said:

I had two take-aways from Britt’s interview with DMR.

First, the origin of the deal was interesting.  JA met with DMR over the Summer in Nantucket with the intent on selling him on taking a minority stake.  DMR responded that he was interested but only if there was a path to majority control.  JA then said (not clear if this was in real-time or at a later date) it might make sense to buy a majority stake now. 

What I’m curious about is how this timeline lines up with Kevin Brown scandal.  Perhaps JA was dead set on retaining a majority stake, but changed his mind after the humiliating coverage in the aftermath of the KB suspension.  Perhaps he wanted to be seen as the hero that turned the Orioles around and reinvigorated downtown.  Coming to the realization that he would never be received as such, he decided it was best to get out and enjoy his wealth outside of the limelight.

The second takeaway is that hiring a CEO to replace JA will be a priority for DMR.  Who will he hire to be our Stan Kasten/Larry Luchino/Sashi Brown?

Will Mike Arougheti take on that role?  Or was he just co-purchaser?

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’d much rather watch Tom Davis interview Rick Dempsey in a grocery store than watch a press conference with the new ownership group.  

I mean we know MASN is terrible but this might be a new low even for them. Need to clean house over there. Not the on air talent (well, not all of it) but the rest needs a fresh start. 

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I mean we know MASN is terrible but this might be a new low even for them. Need to clean house over there. Not the on air talent (well, not all of it) but the rest needs a fresh start. 

It's an utter embarrassment. 

They had ONE JOB.

It is OPENING DAY.

There is a NEW OWNER.

Orioles legend CAL RIPKEN is speaking. 

You can't get your head out of your ass for like 1 single hour and broadcast a professional stream in the year Two Thousand Twenty Four? Absolutely unacceptable. 

5 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Hopefully Rubenstein will somehow be informed about what happened with the MASN feed of the press conference.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d much rather watch Tom Davis interview Rick Dempsey in a grocery store than watch a press conference with the new ownership group.  

I second that.

4 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

It is absolutely a new low.  Plus, information about where the press conference was going to be available was not well circulated in advance.  Nothing on the MASN site saying the presser would be shown on MASN, no posting on the Youtube, Orioles.com or Facebook saying “stay tuned for 11 a.m. press conference. Then when they started late nobody’s giving the messsge “you’re in the right place, we just haven’t started yet.”  Just amateur hour all over the place.  

• Upvote 2

It is absolutely a new low.  Plus, information about where the press conference was going to be available was not well circulated in advance.  Nothing on the MASN site saying the presser would be shown on MASN, no posting on the Youtube, Orioles.com or Facebook saying “stay tuned for 11 a.m. press conference. Then when they started late nobody’s giving the messsge “you’re in the right place, we just haven’t started yet.”  Just amateur hour all over the place.  

I agree with all of that. Hopefully today's pre-game festivities will go off without any hitches.

2 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

I agree with all of that. Hopefully today's pre-game festivities will go off without any hitches.

I guess I’ll watch the hour long pregame show just to see how badly they can screw it up!

I guess I’ll watch the hour long pregame show just to see how badly they can screw it up!

Should be fun. I'm looking forward to watching at 2:00.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I saw that. Or even read the paper. 

"There's a sale at Penny's!"

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I wonder if -12.4 feet is a typo.  The worst outfielder in MLB averages -5.3 feet on his jump.  Now, that’s an average, not one play.  But still, -12.4 seems outrageously bad for a relatively fast OF like McKenna.  He averaged +1.2 feet each of the last two years.  
    • For some levity… The radio broadcast had a HS kid on with them in the booth during an inning. They let him do play by play for a batter and it just so happened to be the Mullins HR.  It was a pretty cool moment. 
    • It was a very poor defensive play by Cowser. He took a bad angle to the ball that made him late getting to the ball. But the biggest issue is that he totally "panicked" and airmailed a throw that basically overthrew both Cowser and Westberg, eventually weakly one-hopping to Urias who had no chance at the runner at that point. Cowser has never been known for taking great routes and last night it ended up hurting the team. Obviously Cowser had a game he'd like to forget last night and yes, he's cooled off at the plate as the opposition is working breaking balls away from him right now and he's not made any adjustments.  Can't get too upset with him over his at bat against Miller last night as he did foul off several 101-102 MPH fastballs and Miller is that good. Sure, we all wanted him to get that runner over, but if it were easy, he would have done so. Most batters nowadays are taught about doing damage, and not about having "quality at bats" like moving runners over. If he did just try to move him over, it's not like its very easy to do against Miller's stuff.  
    • We were -265 favorites last night. I think we were only that big of favorite for a handful of games that year. Before last year, you’d probably have to go all the way back to 2016 or possibly even 2014 to find a game where we were favored by that much.  So I can understand the let down, but it happens over 162. We need to score some runs. We already blew out the elbow of the AL All Star closer from last year.  We’re working on Kimbrel the NL All Star game’s closer.  The offense is to blame. Big time. Can’t just shut down and give away ABs. 
    • More from the Sun Statcast gave Toro’s batted ball an expected batting average of .740, but the tracking data also projected right fielder Ryan McKenna’s probability of making the catch at 85%. However, McKenna, who joined the Orioles on Friday in replace of demoted prospect Jackson Holliday, got a bad jump on the liner directly over his head, with Statcast measuring his jump at negative-12.4  Looks like he got a bad jump though to be fair that can happen with that type of hit.  Guy put on for defensive purposes need to make that play though. 
    • I honestly want to know this, but how old are you? How long have you've been watching baseball. I mean, sure, last night's game was not fun, but to say you won't watch much the next week over one game of a 162-game schedule just seems like you are putting too much emotion into one game and letting it affect the rest of your life. I mean, the Orioles are a better team than the A's, no one would argue otherwise, but even the best teams get beat 60 times a year and yes, sometimes the "inferior" team is going to win. I mean, the A's get paid too. Those guys are professionals that a trying their best for many reasons. Do you think they go into the game with the Orioles and think, "There's no way we can win this game?" No, they go into the game thinking anything can happen because what baseball history tells us that anything can happen, particularly in one baseball game no matter who is starting or what the records of the teams are. Sure, we can point to the things that went wrong last night and there are valid things to discuss like the fact that the bullpen is short at least one impact reliever (a guy that doesn't need to be taken out for platoon advantages and can pitch in high leverage situations effectively), Kimbrel has been used a ton already, and two defensive miscues in the outfield by outfielders with good defensive chops cost the team.  But they are nothing more than talking points. A loss is a loss. They are not fun. Ninth inning blown saves and losing in extras is not fun for the team or the fans. But, what we do know is the Orioles will be back tonight and they have a better chance of winning than losing due to the team's records. Does that mean they SHOULD win?  Statistically speaking they should, but that certainly does not mean they will. It's baseball and it's a long season. It's ok to vent in the game threads, but don't let it spill over into the main forum. 
  • Popular Contributors