Gunnar Henderson 2024

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get why every throw from SS is on the move. It’s not like he needs the momentum behind him to make a strong throw. 

In the majors they seem to let guys get away with poor fundamentals more because they are more talented and the fields are groomed so well. I have been saying this same thing for awhile and even at one point said Cal should go out there with him a bit.   

We are complaining about someone who has more walks, more home runs, less strike outs and less ground into double plays than last year.  2 gidp. All with 17 at bats less so far for the year. He is going to be worth 8+ war for the year. Remember Aaron Judges start to the season? Great players have cold spells, he will be just fine. He makes plays at SS that not many can and he botches some that he definitely shouldn’t. Let’s just hope he gets hot again soon. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get why every throw from SS is on the move. It’s not like he needs the momentum behind him to make a strong throw. 

I commented on this with Gunnar a while back in the Holliday thread. I do think that Gunnar deserves more criticism for these plays and I have to wonder if certain coaches teach it because it’s one of my harshest criticisms of JH’s defense (though I do think he is more on the move due to the lesser arm strength).

Westy doesn’t do it. Joey didn’t do it. The other minor league guys don’t seem to be doing it. I have to think that certain coaches teach it, which would be new to me. I don’t know anyone who teaches infielders to throw on the move by default.

Gunnar’s biggest question mark as a SS was could he reduce the miscues. I agree with the folks who suggest that some of his mishaps are self inflicted due to abandonment of fundamentals. It’s just strange to see two highly rated (the highest rating) prospects two years in a row who hail from different parts of the country, doing the same thing but for likely different reasons. 

Edited by banks703

49 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

When Gunnar and Adley start hitting again, we will be winning a lot of games!!  I hope Gunnar and Adley can be like Eddie and Cal were!!!!

I have a lot more faith in Gunnar breaking out soon. Adley seems completely out of whack at the plate.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Crochet is only throwing 3-4 innings and he’s been very pedestrian in July and August (ERAs of nearly 5 and 7, respectively)

Hopefully he gets it going in the next couple of games and he won’t have to sit at all. 

18 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Crochet is only throwing 3-4 innings and he’s been very pedestrian in July and August (ERAs of nearly 5 and 7, respectively)

Sounds like the orioles lineup is exactly what the doctor ordered for him in that case.

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Such a typical Melewski stat. His struggles have nothing to do with his placement in the lineup. It looks that way because he was crushing the ball early in the season when he also happened to be batting lead off. Hyde moved him down after he started to struggle and the struggle continued. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Such a typical Melewski stat. His struggles have nothing to do with his placement in the lineup. It looks that way because he was crushing the ball early in the season when he also happened to be batting lead off. Hyde moved him down after he started to struggle and the struggle continued. 

I wouldn’t dismiss it like you are. Like it or not, players have different mentalities when placed in different parts of the lineup. He could be trying to do to much.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t dismiss it like you are. Like it or not, players have different mentalities when placed in different parts of the lineup. He could be trying to do to much.

It’s not the same timeline. His OPS started dropping in late June after reaching a high of 1.005 on 6/26. Three days later is the last day he’d be over 1.000. Here’s a look at where he stands every two weeks after. 

6/29: 1.000

7/13: .956

7/27: .933

8/10: .922

8/24: .918

Current: .888

He moved out of the lead off spot in the Blue Jays series on 7/29. He was already free falling. Maybe you can make an argument that hitting lead off would’ve allowed him to find his footing sooner, but there’s nothing to support it. 

42 minutes ago, waroriole said:

It’s not the same timeline. His OPS started dropping in late June after reaching a high of 1.005 on 6/26. Three days later is the last day he’d be over 1.000. Here’s a look at where he stands every two weeks after. 

6/29: 1.000

7/13: .956

7/27: .933

8/10: .922

8/24: .918

Current: .888

He moved out of the lead off spot in the Blue Jays series on 7/29. He was already free falling. Maybe you can make an argument that hitting lead off would’ve allowed him to find his footing sooner, but there’s nothing to support it. 

There’s also nothing that doesn’t support it.  We don’t know. We do know that some players have different mentalities throughout the lineup.  We don’t know if Gunnar is one of them.

Either way, he should be batting first or second anyway, so the move should be permanent.