Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, theobird said:

Moose, I wonder why they sent JH back after 34 AB’s? It’s just not smart to kill a young prospects psyche. I wonder how well sending JH back to work on his game has worked?

It worked for Holliday.  And I don't think it had anything to do with his psyche...what appeared to have worked is making some adjustments to his swing.

So what are we saying here?  That everyone who starts their career 0-15 is a candidate to be sent down?  Or are we refusing to admit that we're impatient?

For fans of a team that hasn't won a World Series since 1983, I would have thought that patience is something that would have been beaten into everyone by now whether they like it or not.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It worked for Holliday.  And I don't think it had anything to do with his psyche...what appeared to have worked is making some adjustments to his swing.

So what are we saying here?  That everyone who starts their career 0-15 is a candidate to be sent down?  Or are we refusing to admit that we're impatient?

For fans of a team that hasn't won a World Series since 1983, I would have thought that patience is something that would have been beaten into everyone by now whether they like it or not.

Didn’t people want to send Gunnar down in April of just last season?

Mayo is different than Holliday. He’s older for one. We also need Mayo because of injuries. We had multiple options to replace Holliday with. Holliday was a luxury call up. 

People do realize that if we send Mayo down, then we get JD Davis. Remember how much everyone, except for me maybe, hated Aaron Hicks. Davis would be Aaron Hicks 2024. 

Contingency plan at 3B,

Option One - Urias/JD Davis platoon

Option Two - Jean Segura

Option Three - Pray Westburg is ready for the playoffs.

Option Four - will a team just flat out put a vet on waivers in hopes a contender claims them and pays their salary?  Any 3B options out there?

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Contingency plan at 3B,

Option One - Urias/ Davis platoon

Option Two - Jean Segura

Option Three - Pray Westburg is ready for the playoffs.

Option Four - will a team just flat out put a vet on waivers in hopes a contender claims them and pays their salary?  Any 3B options out there?

Well reasoned....but JD is a right handed hitter, so not sure about a platoon. I'm taking option three!

God bless. I just watched the replay of the Orioles game last night. Mayo was up in fourth inning i think, two out and men on second and third.  He looked pathetic striking out.  

SEND HIM DOWN , he is killing the club!!!

• Haha 1

I realize its not the exact  same thing, but here's a story to remember.

I always love to think about the wonderful scene in the Giants’ clubhouse after rookie Willie Mays got off to his disastrous 0-23 start. Giants’ coach Freddie Fitzsimmons saw Willie sitting alone in front of his locker crying. “Leo,” Franks said, “I think you better have a talk with your boy over there.”

What would have become of the Willie Mays if Leo wasn’t there to console him at this crucial time? I still get goose-bumps whenever I think about it. Leo went over to Willie and asked, “What’s the matter, son?” Willie turned to his manager and with tears streaming down his cheeks, replied: 

“I don’t belong up here…I can’t play here…I can’t help you Missa’ Leo. Send me back to the minors.” 

Leo smiled, patted Willie on the back, and simply said:

“Look son, I brought you up here to do one thing. That’s to play center field. You’re the best center fielder I’ve ever seen. As long as I’m here, you’re going to play center field. Tomorrow, next week, next month. As long as Leo Durocher is manager of this team you will be on this club because you’re the best ball player I have ever seen.”

The rest, as they say, is history. On his 24th at bat, Willie hit a homer over the left field fence off Warren Spahn who later joked, “I’ll never forgive myself. We might have gotten rid of Willie forever if I’d only struck him out.”

Nice-Guys-Feat-IMG.jpg.webp

Edited by Roy Firestone
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I realize its not the exact  same thing, but here's a story to remember.

I always love to think about the wonderful scene in the Giants’ clubhouse after rookie Willie Mays got off to his disastrous 0-23 start. Giants’ coach Freddie Fitzsimmons saw Willie sitting alone in front of his locker crying. “Leo,” Franks said, “I think you better have a talk with your boy over there.”

What would have become of the Willie Mays if Leo wasn’t there to console him at this crucial time? I still get goose-bumps whenever I think about it. Leo went over to Willie and asked, “What’s the matter, son?” Willie turned to his manager and with tears streaming down his cheeks, replied: 

“I don’t belong up here…I can’t play here…I can’t help you Missa’ Leo. Send me back to the minors.” 

Leo smiled, patted Willie on the back, and simply said:

“Look son, I brought you up here to do one thing. That’s to play center field. You’re the best center fielder I’ve ever seen. As long as I’m here, you’re going to play center field. Tomorrow, next week, next month. As long as Leo Durocher is manager of this team you will be on this club because you’re the best ball player I have ever seen.”

The rest, as they say, is history. On his 24th at bat, Willie hit a homer over the left field fence off Warren Spahn who later joked, “I’ll never forgive myself. We might have gotten rid of Willie forever if I’d only struck him out.”

I remember that story well as I was an 8 years old fledgling and NY Jint fan.  Coincidentally Say Hey got his hit on his 24th AB (his uni number for most of his career - he wore 14 in ‘51).  Will Coby do the  same on his 16th AB?

Thanks @RoyFirestone !

IMG_6660.thumb.jpeg.f648f48df486ab85e1ae5f1926167cae.jpeg

Edited by bobmc

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Coby Mayo was a plus defensive center fielder instead of a marginal third baseman folks might feel differently about the situation.

Sure, I get that. You're not wrong. All I'm saying is to have a little faith. Success will come for this 22 years old.He's got  all the talent.

I would like to see Mayo continue to get opportunities until Westburg and Mateo come back so we can make an informed decision about whether he can contribute to the playoff roster. I don't see what JD Davis or Segura could bring that we should consider adding them except in an emergency. 

• Upvote 1

I certainly can understand why some want Mayo sent back to AAA, but I think you give him everyday starts during this homestand and then re-evaluate him. 

Right now, like it was with Jackson, it's a bit in his head. He's swinging through hittable pitches, getting in a hole, and then having to battle with two strikes. 

Mayo is going to hit, and he's going to be an impact major league hitter at some point. He's a smart kid who as soon as he figures it out up here, is going to be a monster. 

Now it's tough to watch at this point, and watching him get 1-2 or 0-2 in almost every at bat is certainly frustrating to watch, but he's only 15 PAs into his major league career. 

As for the defense, no doubt he's been shaky, but he's not that bad. I think everything is in his head right now, and that might eventually mean he needs to reset back in AAA for a bit like Holliday did, but not yet. 

Mayo has struggled at every no level he's ever been at and then he makes the adjustments. He'll do it at the big league level too.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, gamiliel said:

Well reasoned....but JD is a right handed hitter, so not sure about a platoon. I'm taking option three!

Thanks.  Urias is a reverse splits guy.  So it would be Urias vs RHP, and JD Davis vs LHP.  We could hopefully squeeze out a .700 OPS with above average defense.

Personally, I prefer to take my lumps with Mayo.  Even if it were to cost us the division because he has the bat to win a playoff series MVP.  Gotta ride with the ceiling.  If we're going down, I want to go down swinging for a World Series.  

• Upvote 1