Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

His bat certainly looks ready, but he absolutely has the yips throwing right now. 

He made two errors in the first game, and through the first 6 innings he's already made two bad throws, one of which was an error (3rd of a year). 

I think his defense is in his head right now because he did not look this bad last year. Either way, they may want to give him a game at DH tomorrow.

Came here to say a similar thing. He knows he has eyes on his defense and is letting the pressure get to him. It’s for sure mental…just thinking too much. Too many crow hops and doesn’t look very fluid in his throwing motion.

Hopefully he can quickly push through this and put it behind him. 

19 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s striking out a lot so far. Not worried about it, just pointing it out.

Way too early to be worried about that. Saying that, you have to wonder him getting demoted after showing he clearly was ready offensively may have him reeling a bit. 

Obviously he's done nothing defensively to show the Orioles that they were wrong about sending him back to work on defense. Offensively he's looked pretty good so far, hitting the ball hard despite the Ks and no walks yet.

That K to BB will improve because pitchers are going to start getting very careful with him at the plate.

54 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Way too early to be worried about that. Saying that, you have to wonder him getting demoted after showing he clearly was ready offensively may have him reeling a bit. 

Obviously he's done nothing defensively to show the Orioles that they were wrong about sending him back to work on defense. Offensively he's looked pretty good so far, hitting the ball hard despite the Ks and no walks yet.

That K to BB will improve because pitchers are going to start getting very careful with him at the plate.

What’s funny is the arm hasn’t been what’s in question, so I think that will work itself out.

I just don’t believe third is his best bet in this organization, whether it be in 2024 or beyond.

That may prove to not be right but it’s my belief now.

And I do think there’s some mental let down there, as you said.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

What’s funny is the arm hasn’t been what’s in question, so I think that will work itself out.

I just don’t believe third is his best bet in this organization, whether it be in 2024 or beyond.

That may prove to not be right but it’s my belief now.

And I do think there’s some mental let down there, as you said.

The strength of his arm is not in question .   The accuracy very much is.  I don’t know how many of his 20 errors at 3B last year were throwing errors, but my guess is a lot of them were.  

Here are some comments from Tony Mansolino during spring training:

“To Coby’s credit, we asked him to change his throwing motion [in 2022] and he jumped all over it. He wasn’t scared. That’s terrifying as a baseball player, a guy that, you kind of see your future right in front of you. He jumped all over it, he went all-in. He continued to work last year in the minor leagues, and now we see him here and it’s playable accuracy.

“Again, it’s not plus accuracy. It’s going to have to get to that point someday, and that’s the goal. But for a young kid, usually throwing accuracy is one of the last things to come defensively, and he’s now on the path to getting to the point where we need him to be.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/mansolino-talks-about-holliday-defense-at-second-and-mayo-at-third

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“Again, it’s not plus accuracy. It’s going to have to get to that point someday, and that’s the goal. But for a young kid, usually throwing accuracy is one of the last things to come defensively, and he’s now on the path to getting to the point where we need him to be.”

This is why I’m still optimistic about Mayo at 3B. He has the arm talent and is still very young. It seems like the arm accuracy is on the right track even if it’s not there yet, which is not unusual. At some point it has to get better, but it still can.

13 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

This is why I’m still optimistic about Mayo at 3B. He has the arm talent and is still very young. It seems like the arm accuracy is on the right track even if it’s not there yet, which is not unusual. At some point it has to get better, but it still can.

But meanwhile, fans who care only about offensive statistics and think working on defense is just an excuse to delay a player’s service time clock will continue to complain.  

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But meanwhile, fans who care only about offensive statistics and think working on defense is just an excuse to delay a player’s service time clock will continue to complain.  

I think you are pretty much who you are after some point.

I don't think he's going to have an epiphany after another 30 games.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The strength of his arm is not in question .   The accuracy very much is.  I don’t know how many of his 20 errors at 3B last year were throwing errors, but my guess is a lot of them were.  

Here are some comments from Tony Mansolino during spring training:

“To Coby’s credit, we asked him to change his throwing motion [in 2022] and he jumped all over it. He wasn’t scared. That’s terrifying as a baseball player, a guy that, you kind of see your future right in front of you. He jumped all over it, he went all-in. He continued to work last year in the minor leagues, and now we see him here and it’s playable accuracy.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/mansolino-talks-about-holliday-defense-at-second-and-mayo-at-third

The comment about throwing accuracy coming last reminds me of all the fretting over Gunnar's throwing errors early last season.