Questions that need to be answered during the 2024 season

wildcard

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think we’ll need to trade for another Burnes like pitcher next winter.   Or sign one but even with new ownership I think that’s doubtful.  I think Cowser is the future LF if he hits.   Holliday is the 2B.   Westburg is the most likely choice for 3B.  That leaves Stowers/Mayo/Kerstad/Basallo as leading candidates for RF and 1B.  I’ve got my money on Basallo at 1B.

As far as CF, it’s just a question if Bradfield, Etzel, or Tavera are ready by OD 2026.   We should have a better idea by September.

If Cowser can play left field in Camden then he can probably play center.  But I have to see it to believe it.

Just now, wildcard said:

If Cowser can play left field in Camden then he can probably play center.  But I have to see it to believe it.

Would you want Hays in CF full time?  I wouldn’t.  Cowser can play CF but I don’t think he becomes the regular CF.

Will the real Mounty stand up?  If this is it, then he's a core contributor.

Will Holliday figure the 2B thing out?  He'll hit.  Who else will get a shot?

Can Hays find 2nd gear and hold off Cowser?  Does Cowser make Hays a platoon option at best?

Does Santa force a QO offer?

Who's the SP we aquire by the deadline?  What about RP?

Is 2024 The Year?

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Try and convince the Tides of that.

You can give up 10 runs and lose, you can't win if you don't score.

And good luck convincing Hyde of that. Defense and pitching is key. Always has been, always will be.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Would you want Hays in CF full time?  I wouldn’t.  Cowser can play CF but I don’t think he becomes the regular CF.

I wouldn't put Hicks in center but Elias did last year and they won 101 games.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Funny how Mounty went from short side platoon, trade candidate, non tender possibility to current and future Oriole 1B so quickly.  LOL

He's polarizing for sure.  Always tantalizing with the HH% and analytics but underwhelming back off the card stats.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You keep repeating this.  He seldom plays OF but just how bad do you think he is in RF?   

The example holds.  Sometimes the math indicates the increase in offensive potential is worth the hit to defense.

Teams don't just consider defense.  Run prevention is only part of the game. 

The idea that "you can lose more games with the glove than you can win with the bat" is just wrong. 

Lots of bat first guys had productive careers.

Every player is not going to be good at everything, decisions have to be made.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The example holds.  Sometimes the math indicates the increase in offensive potential is worth the hit to defense.

Teams don't just consider defense.  Run prevention is only part of the game. 

The idea that "you can lose more games with the glove than you can win with the bat" is just wrong. 

Lots of bat first guys had productive careers.

Every player is not going to be good at everything, decisions have to be made.

I agree.  I think defense is very important to Hyde.  I also thinks he takes other things into account.  Playing O’Hearn in RF doesn’t mean he doesn’t value defense.

• Like 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

I agree.  I think defense is very important to Hyde.  I also thinks he takes other things into account.  Playing O’Hearn in RF doesn’t mean he doesn’t value defense.

But it does mean that he doesn't overly value defense.

The idea that you have to play plus defense isn't accurate.

Which is what I'm arguing against.

Every manager would rather have plus defenders out there. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

But it does mean that he doesn't overly value defense.

The idea that you have to play plus defense isn't accurate.

Which is what I'm arguing against.

Every manager would rather have plus defenders out there. 

Semantics.  The other poster said defense and pitching were key with Hyde.   Sounds reasonable to me.   

• Upvote 1