Dylan Beavers 2024

Just Regular

On 4/10/2024 at 8:33 PM, Just Regular said:

First base tonight for the Baysox, looks like his first career game off the grass, at least for the Orioles.

His Swinging Strike rate, notably low last year, down at about 8% (about 80th percentile Eastern League) so far.

Very interesting.  Will be interesting to track if this is just a rare occurrence or they are getting him some legit time there.  I would have thought Kjerstad would be a much better option for 1B than Beavers, but maybe they tried it and Kjerstad was brutal there.  

After going 3 for 4 with a homer last night, Beavers’ slash line is .343/.400/.486.   That’s strikingly similar to last year’s .321/.417/.478.   

He’s now at 197 PA at Bowie, around the amount of PA that have been the threshold for promotions to AAA for players who have done well there (Gunnar had 225 PA in AA, Westburg 209, Kjerstad 184, Holliday 164).   The Norfolk OF is a bit crowded so I’m guessing they’ll be in no hurry to promote Beavers right now, but if he continues to play well, I think by mid-June at latest they’ll need to make room for him. 

While reports on his defense are slightly mixed, my impression is that he’s closer to Cowser’s level than he is to Stowers/Kjerstsd/Norby.  That bodes well for him.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

After going 3 for 4 with a homer last night, Beavers’ slash line is .343/.400/.486.   That’s strikingly similar to last year’s .321/.417/.478.   

He’s now at 197 PA at Bowie, around the amount of PA that have been the threshold for promotions to AAA for players who have done well there (Gunnar had 225 PA in AA, Westburg 209, Kjerstad 184, Holliday 164).   The Norfolk OF is a bit crowded so I’m guessing they’ll be in no hurry to promote Beavers right now, but if he continues to play well, I think by mid-June at latest they’ll need to make room for him. 

While reports on his defense are slightly mixed, my impression is that he’s closer to Cowser’s level than he is to Stowers/Kjerstsd/Norby.  That bodes well for him.   

Agreed on both counts: that he's getting close to a promotion based on previous handling of similar levels of prospects, and that the outfield at AAA is already crowded.  And this brings up one minor beef I have with Elias regarding prospect promotions.....he often is very aggressive in promoting well-performing prospects up through the lower levels, but then is very conservative in promoting well-performing prospects from AAA to the majors.  As a result, we may always have a logjam of prospects at AAA which can force prospects into playing off their natural positions, taking turns at DH instead of getting reps at their positions, or even spending time on the bench.  I wonder if Elias will change a bit now that AAA is already crowded and slow down the promotions at lower levels. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Beavers represents a guy that potentially gives you a reason to move Kjerstad or Cowser in a deal.  (Or Beavers himself is traded)

I thought before this season that this was a huge year for Beavers.   One thing he’s got going for him is he’s a solid defender.   We don’t need to worry about where we can hide him on defense.   So if he hits, we’ll find a spot in the OF for him.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I thought before this season that this was a huge year for Beavers.   One thing he’s got going for him is he’s a solid defender.   We don’t need to worry about where we can hide him on defense.   So if he hits, we’ll find a spot in the OF for him.  

Yep. The defense is why Kjerstad could end up being the odd man out even though he may have the best bat.

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep. The defense is why Kjerstad could end up being the odd man out even though he may have the best bat.

I was going to say the same thing. Cowser and Beavers both can handle left field in Camden Yards, Kjerstad can not. His below average to poor throwing doesn't make him a great option in RF either. The way the Orioles value defense, Kjerstad is probably the guy who they would move in the right deal. 

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I was going to say the same thing. Cowser and Beavers both can handle left field in Camden Yards, Kjerstad can not. His below average to poor throwing doesn't make him a great option in RF either. The way the Orioles value defense, Kjerstad is probably the guy who they would move in the right deal. 

It could get really interesting.  Can Beavers pay center?

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

It could get really interesting.  Can Beavers pay center?

He's 6-foot-4 and 200 plus pounds already, and while he runs well for his size, he won't be center field fast. He's better suited for corner outfield.

• 2 weeks later...

He just had a two run shot in Bowie.  381 feet.  Pulled to right field.  Not a massive shot but it looked like a no doubter from the behind home plate camera view.  

• Upvote 1