Dylan Beavers 2024

Just Regular

Beavers home run today was off a reliever, but looks like the Baysox got Jackson Jobe as the opposing starting pitcher this afternoon.

Also sounds like he left early due to his leg giving him some trouble according to early reports.

Wow, I’m surprised Beavers was all the way on page three. Through 252 PA in AA he has an .885 OPS. He’s playing some CF too. 

He’ll be in the mix to replace Santa, and Hays if we move on, for OD. If Beavers survives the deadline. If Mayo, Holliday, and Basallo, are untouchable, and Norby/Stowers/Kjerstad have more value to us, then Beavers will be the name teams could target. Beavers and Povich. 

How good does he play defense?  Can he play center?  His stats look very similar regardless of levels.  I think he will likely hit in the bigs.  What I really want to know where we might slot him.  With Camden we have need for a left fielder that can go get the ball like a centerfielder.   Can this kid do it?   Compared to Cowser how is his defense? 

7 hours ago, Gurgi said:

How good does he play defense?  Can he play center?  His stats look very similar regardless of levels.  I think he will likely hit in the bigs.  What I really want to know where we might slot him.  With Camden we have need for a left fielder that can go get the ball like a centerfielder.   Can this kid do it?   Compared to Cowser how is his defense? 

Scroll back a page and find out.  

Beavers is having a good season but unless the power picks up I don’t see him being or becoming the level of Cowser and Kjerstad.   He’s kind of a tweener right now.   Nothing really stands out.  He does everything okay.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Beavers is having a good season but unless the power picks up I don’t see him being or becoming the level of Cowser and Kjerstad.   He’s kind of a tweener right now.   Nothing really stands out.  He does everything okay.

Hard to argue with you.  I could see him as a very useful 4th OF.

49 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Without the power it really depends on if he’s going to be able to maintain high BABIPs, which is really hard to tell from AA performance. But if he can, the high OBP and plus corner OF defense will make him quite valuable. Probably similar to Cowser but with a 20% K% instead of 30% at the trade off of far less power. 

56 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That's where I'm at with him too.  If he had a bit more power for a corner or a bit more speed for center, then I'd be a bit more excited.  He is 6'4" and the frame is there to add strength. 

11 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

That's where I'm at with him too.  If he had a bit more power for a corner or a bit more speed for center, then I'd be a bit more excited.  He is 6'4" and the frame is there to add strength. 

There is some projection there.  Tough not to imagine him not being a 20 HR guy in Baltimore.  If he can maintain a high average/OBP that is definitely good enough to start in a corner with his defense. 

• Upvote 1

I was looking for a power jump by going to Bowie, but it hasn't been there so far. He gets into one occasionally, but it just doesn't have that power strike and he really doesn't have a great raw power tool, especially for a guy his size.

He's solid player over all without a big weakness, but he also doesn't have any real plus tools either unless you could his hit tool which is probably a little above average.

Defensively, the question is can he fill in all three outfield positions. To me, he's more of a corner outfield guy because he doesn't have that elite speed for center. 

The real question is where does he fit on the Orioles in the future? 

Kjerstad and Cowser are probably in RF and LF respectively next year though that all depends on what they decide to do with Santander.

Mayo could also factor in here in RF at some point so he would be behind them as well. 

If Cowser, Mullins, Kjerstad is the 2025 regular outfield, the Orioles will need a right-hander 4th outfielder and that's not Beavers. Fabian might be a better fit on this team long term is a the 4th outfield guy assuming he shows to be better than McKenna or Hays.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I was looking for a power jump by going to Bowie, but it hasn't been there so far. He gets into one occasionally, but it just doesn't have that power strike and he really doesn't have a great raw power tool, especially for a guy his size.

He's solid player over all without a big weakness, but he also doesn't have any real plus tools either unless you could his hit tool which is probably a little above average.

Defensively, the question is can he fill in all three outfield positions. To me, he's more of a corner outfield guy because he doesn't have that elite speed for center. 

The real question is where does he fit on the Orioles in the future? 

Kjerstad and Cowser are probably in RF and LF respectively next year though that all depends on what they decide to do with Santander.

Mayo could also factor in here in RF at some point so he would be behind them as well. 

If Cowser, Mullins, Kjerstad is the 2025 regular outfield, the Orioles will need a right-hander 4th outfielder and that's not Beavers. Fabian might be a better fit on this team long term is a the 4th outfield guy assuming he shows to be better than McKenna or Hays.

100 agree on the need for a RH OF as a 4th OF because of our already LH COFs.  Also, I don't want so see the "Tim Duncan" effect happen to Beavers.  Duncan was criticized and nitpicked by scouts for hanging around Wake Forest too long.  That's sort of the same thing that's happened with Kjerstad, and even some to Cowser beforehand.  Once a player gets to AAA it seems like that can happen, and oddly enough they lose value to "buying" clubs because they don't have that all star caliber potential that a younger play could have.  

Overall though, there could be a spot for Beavers considering Santa, Hays, Mullins, and even O'Hearn, are scheduled to hit FA over the next two offseasons.  So maybe there is a spot for a Yelich-lite(w/o PEDs) type of player.  

Beavers at first base again tonight.  Two hits and an rbi (in 7th inning) 

I searched his time at firstbase.  He has only played it only 2 times not sure the time tonight is recorded so it might be 3.  Seems like they are not really trying to give him much time there.  If they really wanted him to pick up the position then playing him there once a week would be better.   Wonder why they are putting him over there?

6 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I searched his time at firstbase.  He has only played it only 2 times not sure the time tonight is recorded so it might be 3.  Seems like they are not really trying to give him much time there.  If they really wanted him to pick up the position then playing him there once a week would be better.   Wonder why they are putting him over there?

Because there is no obvious successor to Mountcastle from a fielding perspective.  They just want as many options as possible.  I think we all think Mayo or Kjerstad ends up at first, but maybe the Orioles have concerns about both as fielders?  Or maybe they just want a 4th OF with some additional flexibility. 

10 hours ago, Gurgi said:

This is also a way to rest your legs and improve versatility. I know some will say they are 22 year old professional athletes. I remember the first time playing 60 game season, I would feel like my legs were done sometimes. Sitting in vans or buses for long periods are not good for legs too.

On 5/8/2024 at 9:51 AM, ChuckS said:

There is some projection there.  Tough not to imagine him not being a 20 HR guy in Baltimore.  If he can maintain a high average/OBP that is definitely good enough to start in a corner with his defense. 

I don't doubt Tony's assessment of tools, but I'm not as down on Beavers' as this thread seems to be. Remember, he was always the guy who had the physical stature but hadn't gotten to his power yet. It was always supposed to be the last tool to come. 

I also don't want to over react to small sample sizes here. Beavers is in AA for the first time this year. Yes, numbers tend to go up there, but it's also been April/May weather, first time in the league, etc etc.

With all of that said, he has 3 HR and 5 2B in 25 games. Over 150 game season, that's 18 HR and 30 2B. That's his pace while playing his first games in AA in relatively cold weather.

If he can turn into that type of hitter at the ML level and play plus defense at the corners, he'll be a very valuable player. That's not easy to do, and the profile is different from the power potential that all of Cowser, Kjerstad and Stowers have, but it's still useful, and there's still time for more power to come through.