Observations from tonight's blowout

DocJJ

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The good news is that it's been more about location than stuff, as Wells repertoire looks a lot like last year. I'm not too worried overall, and his stuff tends to play up in relief.

I always assumed that if Bradish and Means are all the way back to effective and reliable performances, that Wells and Irvin would stabilize the bullpen and push out underperformers there. No guarantees of course but that is a promising outcome. 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Irvin had a 5.03 ERA at home last year and 7.20 in one start this year.   

Whoa, 7.20 ERA in ONE start this year. Well I take back everything I said over that data you provided. :D

That 5.03 ERA at home last year included two awful April starts before he was sent down where he allowed 9 ER in 8.2 IP. So, his home ERA after April was 3.82 over 30.2 IP.

I rest my case your honor.

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

I always assumed that if Bradish and Means are all the way back to effective and reliable performances, that Wells and Irvin would stabilize the bullpen and push out underperformers there. No guarantees of course but that is a promising outcome. 

I believe that was always the hope. Maybe by the end of May that will be true, but there's a lot of IFs in there.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Whoa, 7.20 ERA in ONE start this year. Well I take back everything I said over that data you provided. :D

That 5.03 ERA at home last year included two awful April starts before he was sent down where he allowed 9 ER in 8.2 IP. So, his home ERA after April was 3.82 over 30.2 IP.

News Alert!   It’s April!    😄

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

P.S.  Irvin had ONE start ALL YEAR that qualified as a quality start and that was on the road.  The warm memories of Irvin’s starts in the 2nd half last year are overblown.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Right now, maybe.  Stats probably don't bear that out, but I have more faith in Irvin for some reason than Wells.  

That’s only because Irvin doesn’t get the “I’m about to cry” look that Wells does when he’s getting lit up.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The good news is that it's been more about location than stuff, as Wells repertoire looks a lot like last year. I'm not too worried overall, and his stuff tends to play up in relief.

Thanks Tony. This however is three very similar outings in a row for Wells to start the year. Last year, he was our best starter during the first half? Would love an analysis of then and now and what if any differences imerge or has the league just caught up with Wells as a starter? Is it command or more? Yes, this is like Wells mid year last year but he came back and out of the pen was very good.  Is Wells just ment to be a relief pitcher? Teams seem to be sitting on his high fastball and not missing it. 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

P.S.  Irvin had ONE start ALL YEAR that qualified as a quality start and that was on the road.  The warm memories of Irvin’s starts in the 2nd half last year are overblown.

So just to be clear, I don't necessarily think Irvin is a quality major league starter and I would prefer him in the pen as well. 

The point was that I believe Wells fills a need more than Irvin because Wells has some late inning, high leverage experience. 

The preference we all probably have is that they were both in the bullpen vs the rotation, but obviously they're in the rotation due to injuries. Both are better pitchers than they've been so far in 2024.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Did you expect Burnes to trash an organization that he's been in his entire career? I didn't hear the interview, but I doubt Burnes is doing anything but trying his absolute best every time out there. Whether that's because he wants the huge pay day waiting for him or because he loves being an Orioles so much, isn't really the point. 

If Burnes is here for one year and the Orioles win the World Series series this year or at least gets into the World Series, no one is going to be upset that he was acquired this year to go for it.

I liked Ortiz a lot. I actually wavered on putting him ahead of Cowser on the prospect list last year. He should have been the Orioles starting second baseman last year though that's debatable between him and Westburg (Just should not have been Frazier). 

But, saying all that, with the options at hand in the infield, Ortiz was the exact kind of asset you move for an ace like Burnes. I don't want to see him getting 3 hits against Orioles pitching of course, but I hope he becomes an outstanding major league player.

Here is the relevant part of what he said:

Q: I already see sunflower seeds being thrown on your head, clearly this is a fun clubhouse...what does it feel like to be a part of what is going on right now?

A: Yeah, it's exciting.  Obviously, there is a lot of excitement going on around here with the new ownership group, a young squad that won 101 games last year.  You know exciting team and exciting organization to be a part of.  THIS TEAM has got a ton of depth in AAA and AA, so its an exciting time for THEM could be a scary team for awhile.    

It was striking how he doesn't seem to look at it as if it is his team.  Maybe that is because he wants to keep it business, maybe he feels like the odd man out at the moment because of all the young guys, or maybe he just still thinks of himself as a Brewer.  In any event, you could see a situation where a guy comes to the team, loves it, and feels compelled to stay.  It doesn't seem like we are seeing much of that at the moment from Burnes.  What does this mean?  Could be nothing.  Could be that he isn't seeing much different with the Orioles versus his time with the Brewers so he isn't that impressed.  Could be that this is just how the guy is.  

I still think it was a great trade and he will play his best for the team.  But so many people have come here and raved about the team and organization, it was a bit odd to not see similar from Burnes. 

2 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Thanks Tony. This however is three very similar outings in a row for Wells to start the year. Last year, he was our best starter during the first half? Would love an analysis of then and now and what if any differences imerge or has the league just caught up with Wells as a starter? Is it command or more? Yes, this is like Wells mid year last year but he came back and out of the pen was very good.  Is Wells just ment to be a relief pitcher? Teams seem to be sitting on his high fastball and not missing it. 

To me it's location more than anything.

image.thumb.png.a06f1981e8a8ed33d5ac5168b3484c34.png

He's way too much in the heart of plate with his fastball and cutter and hitters haven't missed many of those mistakes.

Here's his swings and misses:

image.thumb.png.230356a201f2251680900705c452f706.png

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Q: I already see sunflower seeds being thrown on your head, clearly this is a fun clubhouse...what does it feel like to be a part of what is going on right now?

A: Yeah, it's exciting.  Obviously, there is a lot of excitement going on around here with the new ownership group, a young squad that won 101 games last year.  You know exciting team and exciting organization to be a part of.  THIS TEAM has got a ton of depth in AAA and AA, so its an exciting time for THEM could be a scary team for awhile.    

It was striking how he doesn't seem to look at it as if it is his team.  Maybe that is because he wants to keep it business, maybe he feels like the odd man out at the moment because of all the young guys, or maybe he just still thinks of himself as a Brewer.  In any event, you could see a situation where a guy comes to the team, loves it, and feels compelled to stay.  It doesn't seem like we are seeing much of that at the moment from Burnes.  What does this mean?  Could be nothing.  Could be that he isn't seeing much different with the Orioles versus his time with the Brewers so he isn't that impressed.  Could be that this is just how the guy is.  

I still think it was a great trade and he will play his best for the team.  But so many people have come here and raved about the team and organization, it was a bit odd to not see similar from Burnes. 

I think you are reading into things way too much here. I don't know how "this team" could be considered offputting. What else would he have used here? As for the the "them" comment, he might have been talking about the AAA/AA guys doing well. 

At the end of the day, I could care less. What I care about is the results and he's been doing exactly what the Orioles were hoping for when they signed him. 

It's not like he came in and was saying stuff like Steve Kline. :D

I don't think Burnes still thinks of himself as a Brewer; he told their FO he was going to test FA and that's why he was traded in the first place. Not really something someone would say or do that was thrilled with their organization.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think you are reading into things way too much here. I don't know how "this team" could be considered offputting. What else would he have used here? As for the the "them" comment, he might have been talking about the AAA/AA guys doing well. 

At the end of the day, I could care less. What I care about is the results and he's been doing exactly what the Orioles were hoping for when they signed him. 

It's not like he came in and was saying stuff like Steve Kline. :D

Actually to me it is less about him and more about how many of us think about the team.  We tend to think at this moment in time the team and organization are special.  This might indicate that the Orioles aren't quite as special as we tend to think.  Could also mean absolutely nothing too.

48 minutes ago, baltfan said:

It was striking how he doesn't seem to look at it as if it is his team.  

See, I think you're reading it wrong. He says "this" team (Orioles) has a ton of minor league depth. Which is an undeniable fact.

Then he says it's an exciting time for "them". I cleary think he's referring to the guys at Norfolk.

The "could be a scary team" is Burnes talking about the Orioles long term success due to the stockpile of talent in the minors.

I don't see any of that as him not feeling like he's an Oriole.