Has a relief pitcher ever won a Gold Glove?

Frobby

I posted this in the Cano thread--Bobby Shantz won several gold gloves in the 50s and 60s, and kept winning them even after becoming a reliever.  

How often does anyone notice a pitcher's defense?  Not very often.  Cano has made at least three noteworthy plays this year.  I think the O's and the press should start a campaign on his behalf.   If he becomes the full-time closer that will help his visibility.  

7 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I posted this in the Cano thread--Bobby Shantz won several gold gloves in the 50s and 60s, and kept winning them even after becoming a reliever.  

How often does anyone notice a pitcher's defense?  Not very often.  Cano has made at least three noteworthy plays this year.  I think the O's and the press should start a campaign on his behalf.   If he becomes the full-time closer that will help his visibility.  

If he becomes a full-time closer I think there are other things that are going to be much more visible and they likely aren't as flattering.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Made a nice play tonight against the Rays.

Announcers often talk about how he "stares" hitters down after his release, but it's really just that he ends his delivery in close to the perfect fielding position.

He is a very good defensive pitcher.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Here's every defensive play Cano has made this year.   Not all of them are spectacular, but every one well-executed.

https://www.mlb.com/video/00u7tgd3tufIUmaZP356/reels/yennier-cano-defensive-plays-first-62-games-of-2024?partnerId=web_multimedia-search_video-share

This is great.  I hope Roch Kubatko and others in the O's media see this and share it.  

• 1 month later...