The 2024 Trade Deadline

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's annoying how good Flaherty is this year. There's no way we trade for him again though because that would be somewhat embarrassing, and if he didn't work out again, Elias would never hear the end of it. 

He has been very good.  And yeah... the odds of a Flaherty reunion seem low.  The fans would be on him for sure if he sucked for us again.   🤣

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Quantrill would be a “regular season” SP option. I think we’re good with Irvin, Kremer, and Povich for the regular season. I think all three will be better than Quantrill the rest of the season. 

Fedde, Severino, Montgomery, are guys that look to be available now that would be Game 3 options. 

I disagree regarding Quantrill.  I'd be surprised if Povich or Irvin were better than Quantrill the rest of the season, and probably Kremer too.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Quantrill would be a “regular season” SP option. I think we’re good with Irvin, Kremer, and Povich for the regular season. I think all three will be better than Quantrill the rest of the season. 

Fedde, Severino, Montgomery, are guys that look to be available now that would be Game 3 options. 

I wouldn't argue with trying to acquire both. A glue guy like Quantrill and a more #3 guy. 

Irvin... I dunno man. He's looking more and more like the guy who we stuck in the bullpen. There's just no way to know if he's going to snap out of his slump, or if we all had a collective Cole Irvin fever dream and this is who he really is. I don't trust Kremer. And Povich, I mean, he looks nice but who knows what he's going to do, so give me Quantrill all day. 

Edited by interloper

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Severino is interesting because his slider and sweeper are really good pitches (top 10 stuff+) but he only throws them a combined 22% of the time. His whiff rate and xwOBA on those two pitches isn’t far off from Bradish’s slider, but he throws them almost 10% less (and almost 25% less than Bradish throws his slider/curve combined). He has some good pitches to work with but it looks like his repertoire could be tweaked to up his effectiveness.

Kikuchi and Yimi Garcia from Toronto is the best fit. Kikuchi is your Game 2 SP in OPACY because he’s a lefty. Garcia, if healthy, is a stud high leverage reliever. Both are rentals. 

So something like Norby+ De Leon/Baumeister for Kikuchi + Yimi Garcia. 

Then Adam Ottavino is a playoff vet that I like and the Mets seem to love former O’s pitchers. 

Ottavino for Vespi + Zimmerman 

Heck. You could do Severino for the other of De Leon/Baumeister.

There’s your playoff rotation. Burnes, Grayson, Kikuchi, Severino. Kikuchi starts at OPACY. 

Garcia, Ottavino, and Suarez to the pen.

Not that pricey.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

The Cubs are in free fall right now so they might be a team that would move a starter or two and might be looking for guys close to ready.  Jamison Taillon has 2.5 years of control at 45 million.  He could be a decent number 3 starter this year then still have control for 2 more years.   I wouldn’t think he would cost a ton because of the decent amount of money still owed but it isn’t an awful contract either.  Justin Steele is a better pitcher with more control and would also cost more in terms of prospects but a decent guy to look into.  He would be solid 3 this year and a number 2-3 next year waiting for Bradish to return the following 2 years.  

Just now, bpilktree said:

The Cubs are in free fall right now so they might be a team that would move a starter or two and might be looking for guys close to ready.  Jamison Taillon has 2.5 years of control at 45 million.  He could be a decent number 3 starter this year then still have control for 2 more years.   I wouldn’t think he would cost a ton because of the decent amount of money still owed but it isn’t an awful contract either.  Justin Steele is a better pitcher with more control and would also cost more in terms of prospects but a decent guy to look into.  He would be solid 3 this year and a number 2-3 next year waiting for Bradish to return the following 2 years.  

Steele is really good.  I doubt the Cubs would deal him.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Steele is really good.  I doubt the Cubs would deal him.

Steele is strange guy he has been pretty solid yet still somehow does not have a win this year in 11 starts and only 3 losses that seems pretty hard to do when you average close to 6 innings a start.  

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Kikuchi and Yimi Garcia from Toronto is the best fit. Kikuchi is your Game 2 SP in OPACY because he’s a lefty. Garcia, if healthy, is a stud high leverage reliever. Both are rentals. 

Then Adam Ottavino is a playoff vet that I like and the Mets seem to love former O’s pitchers. 

There’s your playoff rotation. Burnes, Grayson, Kikuchi, Severino. Kikuchi starts at OPACY. 

Not that pricey.  

Easy peasy!

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

Easy peasy!

Let’s call the commissioners office. Someone just make accounts on the Jays and Pirates board to complete the negotiations. Lmao.

In all seriousness, Kikuchi, Severino, Yimi, and Ottavino, are all rentals. Those are names I would expect us to be attached to. Less complicated than longer deals. Who knows what the market looks like in 4 weeks. 

I heard Elias was on the Tides broadcast today for the day game, and alluded to the fact that we need to buy pitching, but it takes two to make a deal. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not that pricey.  

Garcia went on the IL with a bad elbow. What are the expectations going forward this year other than possible TJS?

I was going to start a poll/thread, but I'll post it here instead.  And I'm asking you all because, well, my brother asked me.  :P

After a heart-wrenching deliberation, Elias has determined he must trade one of Holliday, Basallo, or Mayo for a controllable ToR starter.  Who would you prefer was dealt?

To be clear, I get that trading any of the three is VERY unlikely, but with our needs it remains a remote possibility. 

8 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I was going to start a poll/thread, but I'll post it here instead.  And I'm asking you all because, well, my brother asked me.  :P

After a heart-wrenching deliberation, Elias has determined he must trade one of Holliday, Basallo, or Mayo for a controllable ToR starter.  Who would you prefer was dealt?

To be clear, I get that trading any of the three is VERY unlikely, but with our needs it remains a remote possibility. 

D. None of the above