The 2024 Trade Deadline

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Are there that many people judging Holliday based on his short stint in the majors?  I’m sure a few are, but not many IMO.  

Absolutely! All you have to do is read the Holliday thread to see that. Now we even have some posters (to be fair not many) suggesting ridiculous notions of going so far as to trade him. 

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Absolutely! All you have to do is read the Holliday thread to see that. Now we even have some posters (to be fair not many) suggesting ridiculous notions of going so far as to trade him. 

It’s not a ridiculous notion to trade him.  Just depends what the return is.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I really don't care that much. Nowhere near as you are making it seem. 

But I think it does come down to 2 things - 1) Who is the better defensive 3B between Mayo and Westburg? 2) Who is the better defensive INF between Mayo and Holliday?

The answer to those 2 questions should determine positioning. 

I agree that the better defensive IF is most likely Westburg at 3B and Holliday at 2B.  I don’t think that’s 100 % the determining factor.  

The Marlins are DFA’ing Avisail Garcia. He is due 17M next year (plus a buyout in 2026) plus whatever he is owed this year. Let’s just say he’s owed about 24M.

If you get Nardi and Meyer while taking on that deal and not giving up much, would you do that?

Say the deal was Urias, Carlos Tavera, Rhodes and a guy like Baumler for Nardi, Meyer and Garcia…would you make that move?  

In essence, would you be buying Nardi and Meyer because you are taking on the contract.  Is that worth it to you?

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

So in essence getting rid of Mountcastle for Norby?

I expect Mountcastle will be our starting 1B next year, though it wouldn't be a surprise if he were dealt in the off-season.  If O'Hearn is back, he'll see time there as well as DH.  Mayo could get some play as well at 1B and even a bit at 3B, though DH at this point seems like the best bet for AB's. Norby is in the equation too... somewhere.  It's not easy to figure out, hence why so many of us struggle to figure this all out.  Elias has his take on what he thinks will work, and that's why this deadline is so fascinating.  Who stays?  Who goes?  Time will tell... it always does.

Edited by Greg Pappas

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Marlins are DFA’ing Avisail Garcia. He is due 17M next year (plus a buyout in 2026) plus whatever he is owed this year. Let’s just say he’s owed about 24M.

If you get Nardi and Meyer while taking on that deal and not giving up much, would you do that?

Say the deal was Urias, Carlos Tavera, Rhodes and a guy like Baumler for Nardi, Meyer and Garcia…would you make that move?  

In essence, would you be buying Nardi and Meyer because you are taking on the contract.  Is that worth it to you?

Prospects going to them seem a bit much for us absorbing the contract. Remove Baumler and I’d probably do it. Garcia could have some utility as a platoon only bat. Even this year, he’s been a .730 hitter against LHP (vs. 333 vs. RHP). 

One interesting option I brought up in January was that we could try Holliday in CF if the O's believe Mayo can handle 3B.   Some will disagree with the premise, but it could make sense.   IF Holliday could become a quality CF, and I believe he absolutely could, Westburg would play 2B and Mayo 3B.  

Again, it's a thought experiment.  It's been done successfully many times; former SS moves to CF and is very good there.  I don't think it's likely we'll do this, but I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, so I'm not alone in considering it.

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Prospects going to them seem a bit much for us absorbing the contract. Remove Baumler and I’d probably do it. Garcia could have some utility as a platoon only bat. Even this year, he’s been a .730 hitter against LHP (vs. 333 vs. RHP). 

I don’t see any of those prospects as being rich but that can be played with.  It was just an example.

The Os aren’t trading Holliday.  Just stop with the discussion. They have a belief that at the same age, he’s more advanced than Gunnar was.  

They aren’t trading him. They aren’t going to consider trading him and they likely shouldn’t because no deal would make sense to make this type of a move.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The whole thing depends on Max Meyer.  He’s 25, was a high draft pick, and had 3 good starts for the Marlins this year.  On the other hand, he’s a smallish RHP with tons of injury risk who currently has a 6.85 ERA in AAA.  I can get a LH reliever like Tanner Scott, on an expiring cheap contract, for a little more in player capital but spend the 24M elsewhere.   Or just trade for Nardi alone.   You want to buy Max Meyer for 20M.   Is he worth it?

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I agree that the better defensive IF is most likely Westburg at 3B and Holliday at 2B.  I don’t think that’s 100 % the determining factor.  

I didn't say that it 100% is the determining factor. I have no idea/insight into what the true determining factor is as I am not involved nor privy to the decision. But what I said is that it SHOULD be what determines who plays where.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os aren’t trading Holliday.  Just stop with the discussion. They have a belief that at the same age, he’s more advanced than Gunnar was.  

They aren’t trading him. They aren’t going to consider trading him and they likely shouldn’t because no deal would make sense to make this type of a move.

I’ve mulled over the idea when thinking about targets like Crochet. Then i come to the realization of no way. Especially when you see how many pitchers are getting injured. The Red Sox traded Yoan Moncada who was number 2 prospect for Chris Sale. Crochet is far from Sale but having an excellent year. 

Just now, Bemorewins said:

I didn't say that it 100% is the determining factor. I have no idea/insight into what the true determining factor is as I am not involved nor privy to the decision. But what I said is that it SHOULD be what determines who plays where.

Ok.  Why should it be the determining factor?   Maybe Mayo is an average 3B and a terrible RF.  Maybe 3B is his best position.   Maybe Holliday fits a bigger need by being the long term answer in CF.

15 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

One interesting option I brought up in January was that we could try Holliday in CF if the O's believe Mayo can handle 3B.   Some will disagree with the premise, but it could make sense.   IF Holliday could become a quality CF, and I believe he absolutely could, Westburg would play 2B and Mayo 3B.  

Again, it's a thought experiment.  It's been done successfully many times; former SS moves to CF and is very good there.  I don't think it's likely we'll do this, but I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, so I'm not alone in considering it.

I'm all for creativity. However, it should come down to what is best for the Orioles. Is Mayo a better defensive 3B than Holliday a better defensive 2B? The one who is worse goes to the outfield. It should be as simple as that.

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I might change a couple of the pieces in the trade, but I like it buying out a bad contract to get some valuable players. I don’t how Elias views this type of a trade, but I think Rubenstein will sign off on it if Elias backs the proposal.