The 2024 Trade Deadline

37 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Quit with the goal post crap…. There is a drop off after 3. It’s true…they have ratings that indicate Star level expectations. 50 FV I believe is a ceiling of MLB contributor. 

There is a big difference between a MLB regular a perennial allstar no?

Do you think Bradfield is a perrenial Allstar at this point? 

Where’s the link? I’m not addressing any of this until I see where you’re getting your information. 

• Downvote 1

Heyman talking about Dodgers pitching injury stack reported he spoke with someone from the org during All-Star festivities who told him their recent Phillies series was the first time in years the opponent seemed better from their side of the field.

As Kikuchi tried to woo his HS teammate Shohei to Toronto, now it being the other way around seems almost too easy.

After the circumstances of their 2023 elimination, I don't imagine the Dodgers will be as risk accepting as allowing Lance Lynn to serve up like a zillion home runs in a playoff short series.     I think the Dodgers can be reasonably forecast to win one of the Kikuchi-Fedde type pitchers we are eyeing as a Game 3 starter.

Clayton Kershaw throws a AAA game tonight but he is maybe more myth than ballplayer at this point.    As with Trout, I hope for the game he can still be great.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Snell's FIP,

2023 - 3.44

2024 - 3.78

He's been a little unlucky even with the disastrous start.  Skubal isn't the only game in town.  

He's had 2 IL stints and has never been a healthy player. 

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

He's had 2 IL stints and has never been a healthy player. 

He's not the beacon of health that Skubal and Crochet have been(sarcasm).  Maybe Snell offers a reality check in that Skubal isn't exactly CC Sabathia.  Do we really want to mortgage the farm for that dude?  I'd rather pay the salary to Snell.  Will Papa Rubenstein spend or will he keep trying to win everyone over with free t shirts?

It's probably 50/50 Snell vs. Skubal of who will be better from the deadline further this year.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

No … I was posting facts . Holliday is a 70 … Mayo and Basallo are almost certainly 60+ the next rating cycle.  I’m not sure I seeing anyone else that high or anyone moving up into that range. Hard to see if the top draftees will. 

Essentially I’m not excited about anyone 4-10 except Norby whom the Orioles don’t seem to value very high due to shortcomings in defense. So yes there is a drop off after 3 but we do have a 50-55 guys. 

It hard to reproduce those type of talents over and over. Some years will be leaner (expectedly). Look at teams like the Braves and Astros the last couple of years.

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

Where’s the link? I’m not addressing any of this until I see where you’re getting your information. 

I don’t owe you anything…Quit being a troll

Scouting Grades

Definition

Scouting grades have been a staple of MLB.com's prospect coverage for years, and they generally match how clubs grade players as well.

Players are graded on a 20-80 scale: 20-30 is well below average, 40 is below average, 50 is average, 60 is above average and 70-80 is well above average. When discussing prospects, the most important number is the future overall grade, an all-encompassing number on the 20-80 scale that signifies what each player is projected to ultimately be in the big leagues.

A future overall grade of 65 or better is for a player who could develop into a future impact Major Leaguer, perhaps an All-Star-caliber standout. (Note: Some clubs use a 2-8 scale -- as opposed to 20-80 -- which is basically the same thing but without half-grades.)

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/orioles/

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/miscellaneous/scouting-grades#

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

It hard to reproduce those type of talents over and over. Some years will be leaner (expectedly). Look at teams like the Braves and Astros the last couple of years.

I get it …my point was there is a substantial drop off after Mayo. It’s true and I get that it’s hard. 

Edited by Roll Tide

22 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I get it …my point was there is a substantial drop off after Mayo. It’s true and I get that it’s hard. 

Huge drop off. Nobody should be debating that. Baseball Prospectus has us having 3 in the top 12. Which is once in generation/lifetime type stuff. Then we don’t have another top 100 prospect. Maybe EBJ, Norby, McDermott, and Povich are right there in the top 100-150 range. But darn, not top 12. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Huge drop off. Nobody should be debating that. Baseball Prospectus has us having 3 in the top 12. Which is once in generation/lifetime type stuff. Then we don’t have another top 100 prospect. Maybe EBJ, Norby, McDermott, and Povich are right there in the top 100-150 range. But darn, not top 12. 

Well @dystopiais …. Or he’s just being a troll. 

I wouldn’t put much stock into the top 100 list. Jace Jung is not any different than Connor Norby, yet Jung is 39th prospect in baseball. Dylan Crews is the same age as Mayo and hasn’t lit the world on fire in both double A and triple A, yet he’s number 4 prospect in baseball.  We have 2 guys that completely stand out in Holliday and Mayo. One guy you can completely dream on in Basallo. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/catching-up-on-the-zips-top-100-prospects/

ZiPS has Mayo translated to a .329 OBP and .491 SLG. Westburg is currently the team’s second best hitter and is at .318 and .496. 

Holliday is at .362 OBP and .368 SLG just translating his minor league numbers over, but .336/.332 when you include his major league sample in the projections. The .730 OPS would likely be around a 110 wRC+, with the .668 near 90 based off the Orioles closest comparisons. 

9 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/catching-up-on-the-zips-top-100-prospects/

ZiPS has Mayo translated to a .329 OBP and .491 SLG. Westburg is currently the team’s second best hitter and is at .318 and .496. 

Holliday is at .362 OBP and .368 SLG just translating his minor league numbers over, but .336/.332 when you include his major league sample in the projections. The .730 OPS would likely be around a 110 wRC+, with the .668 near 90 based off the Orioles closest comparisons. 

After we trade Cowser, Mayo will be up. If Mayo is still here.

Maybe like Cowser, Norby, Mullins, and Johnson for Robert. Let the CWS trade Mullins. 

Edited by sportsfan8703