The 2024 Trade Deadline

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Maybe they could get 2 starters and eventually put him in the pen.

I still think Luzardo is very much in play for the Os. I could see a scenario where they get a guy like Martinez to start for a while.  Luzardo isn’t back until mid to the end of August. Eventually he gets the rotation spot and Martinez ends up in the pen.

Has there been any rumor of Luzardo still getting dealt? Every time I hear his name mentioned its that he won't be traded due to currently being on the IL

36 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Wow  how could you say that?  I am anxious and in suspense that the O-s will add the pieces that will give them postseason success.

I want it to be over is all. Just want it to be done. We are already good. I already enjoy the team. 

The idea that trades could improve the odds of a turnaround would be welcome in a down year. If you are dealing good players you are having a bad year. There has been little to enjoy in a season like that. When you are winning you are already in the mix. I’m already optimistic about this team. 2018 is an extreme example but after about 3 weeks into the season it was over. It was awful. The trade deadline brought hope that didn’t exist. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He's not going to hit for a high average, but he's good hit bombs

I know this was just a typo, but “he’s good hit bombs” is going to be forever stuck in my brain as the best description for Kyle Stowers…

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
Wild Card Standings

American League

L            PCT          GB
New York Yankees
59 42 0.584       +3.5
Minnesota Twins
54 44 0.551            -
Kansas City Royals
55 45 0.550            -
Boston Red Sox
53 45 0.541 1.0
Seattle Mariners
53 48 0.525 2.5
Tampa Bay Rays
50 49 0.505 4.5
Detroit Tigers
49 51 0.490 6.0
Texas Rangers
47 52 0.475 7.5
Toronto Blue Jays
45 54 0.455 9.5
Los Angeles Angels
42 57 0.424 12.5
Oakland Athletics
39 62 0.386 16.5
Chicago White Sox
27 74 0.267 28.5

National League

L           PCT          GB
Atlanta Braves
54 44 0.551          +4
St. Louis Cardinals
52 47 0.525       +1.5
New York Mets
50 48 0.510            -
Arizona Diamondbacks
51 49 0.510            -
San Diego Padres
52 50 0.510            -
Pittsburgh Pirates
50 49 0.505 0.5
San Francisco Giants
48 52 0.480 3
Chicago Cubs
48 53 0.475 3.5
Washington Nationals
47 53 0.470 4
Cincinnati Reds
47 53 0.470 4
Colorado Rockies
36 64 0.360 15
Miami Marlins
35 64 0.354 15.5
Edited by Greg Pappas

There's been various articles and now it's getting to be enough different people saying it that there might be a grain of truth there. Supposedly the Cubs are listening on  Justin Steele but would require an enormous package. Personally I completely hate it as a Cub fan, but if the package is big enough I guess I can get over it. Steele has been pretty significantly underrated for a while now and has been a top 10 pitcher in baseball over the last 2.5 years. He's also under control through 2027.

Since 2022, amongst pitchers with at least 300IP

ERA 3.10 (7th)

FIP 3.11(9th)

fWAR 9.5(14th)

In 2024

ERA 3.07

FIP 3.18

xERA 3.00

33 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’d be disappointed if Kikuchi was our SP acquisition 

Skubal and Crochet aren’t likely. We’re not going Flaherty again. We still gotta see who sells out of the SFG, Rangers, and Cubs. 

Kikuchi, Tyler Anderson, Fedde, Eflin, and Montas, seem to be the best available. 

I’m not picking on you, just assuming you’d be disappointed on all those guys too?

Fedde is the guy I want, unless Snell becomes available. I would like the others rather than nothing. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Skubal and Crochet aren’t likely. We’re not going Flaherty again. We still gotta see who sells out of the SFG, Rangers, and Cubs. 

Kikuchi, Tyler Anderson, Fedde, Eflin, and Montas, seem to be the best available. 

I’m not picking on you, just assuming you’d be disappointed on all those guys too?

Fedde is the guy I want, unless Snell becomes available. I would like the others rather than nothing. 

I like Anderson … the Angels are selling, Fedde is worth a shot if cheap, Elfin is a possibility, Montas 🤢, Snell if we get him with the contract he should break the prospect bank. Skubal or Crochet will depend on the asking price.

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I like Anderson … the Angels are selling, Fedde is worth a shot if cheap, Elfin is a possibility, Montas 🤢, Snell if we get him with the contract he should break the prospect bank. Skubal or Crochet will depend on the asking price.

Skubal and Crochet are likely not happening, and I don’t the Snell is even available. Also, I hate to say it because I like him, Fedde won’t be cheap. 

People will quickly dismiss this, but the cost for Fedde right now might be really close to Cowser. Yall can dismiss that as “too much”, but that might be the asking price. I’m not saying I make that deal, but Fedde isn’t cheap. 

Also, this is why you take this down to deadline day. We need to see everyone that is available. The Giants, Cubs, and Rangers, can still really affect this market. Maybe even as buyers. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Skubal and Crochet are likely not happening, and I don’t the Snell is even available. Also, I hate to say it because I like him, Fedde won’t be cheap. 

People will quickly dismiss this, but the cost for Fedde right now might be really close to Cowser. Yall can dismiss that as “too much”, but that might be the asking price. I’m not saying I make that deal, but Fedde isn’t cheap. 

Also, this is why you take this down to deadline day. We need to see everyone that is available. The Giants, Cubs, and Rangers, can still really affect this market. Maybe even as buyers. 

Maybe it’s Kjerstad but I doubt it’s Cowser. Cowser has been worth 2.4 WAR in 300 PA’s in his rookie season. Only 14 OF’ers have more WAR than him this season and he’s under control for 5 more seasons. I do think Fedde is going to cost a decent bit though. 

3 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Maybe it’s Kjerstad but I doubt it’s Cowser. Cowser has been worth 2.4 WAR in 300 PA’s in his rookie season. Only 14 OF’ers have more WAR than him this season and he’s under control for 5 more seasons. I do think Fedde is going to cost a decent bit though. 

Either way 99.9% of the board would vote “No” on a Fedde for one of Cowser/Kjerstad trade. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Like 1