DSL Orioles 2024

RZNJ

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

Orange lost to the Angels in the opener of their best of three playoff series, 4-3 in 10 innings.  They had a shot to tie it up with a runner on 3B and one out in the bottom of the 10th, but Ariander Mejia struck out and after a walk, Felix Amparo popped out to end the game.  That makes tomorrow an elimination game for Orange.   

Series even at 1-1.   A combined 9 IP, 1 run, 4 H, 3 walks, and 13 K by Esteban Mejia and Kevin Velasco.   Pitching choices for game 3 look slim.  I’m guessing Juan Rasquin followed by regular bullpen options.   They essentially used 4 starters over the first two games.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Series even at 1-1.   A combined 9 IP, 1 run, 4 H, 3 walks, and 13 K by Esteban Mejia and Kevin Velasco.   Pitching choices for game 3 look slim.  I’m guessing Juan Rasquin followed by regular bullpen options.   They essentially used 4 starters over the first two games.

I beat you to the punch!  It’s surprising that Orange used all its top pitchers in the first two games.  I guess they were really focused on staving off elimination today at all costs.  

Leading indicator of AL wildcard series tactics?

Pitching deployment can get weird in a 3-game setup if you go down 0-1.     Velasco today would be I guess like Grayson Rodriguez following Zach Eflin should Corbin Burnes lose game 1, as he is doing a good deal recently.

Kevin Velasco didn't get the Keeler Morfe bump, but he looks like an interesting guy for 2025.    

They wouldn't send Morfe back for one last Saturday, would they?

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

They wouldn't send Morfe back for one last Saturday, would they?

Hah, no, they wouldn’t.  What they did do was move Esteban Luna from the Black team to the Orange team at about the time Morfe was promoted.  

Edited by Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Orioles Orange evened their series with the DSL Angels today, prevailing 4-3.   Esteban Luna pitched the first four innings, allowing just one run, and Kevin Velasco followed by throwing 5 shutout frames to seal the win.   The two combined struck out 13 while allowing only 4 hits.  Orange had 12 hits and 5 stolen bases, so it’s surprising they only scored 4 runs.  The rubber game is tomorrow.  

Esteban Mejia.

57 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Esteban Mejia.

Thanks for the correction.  I sometimes get them confused.  Luna was on the Black team but was moved to Orange a couple of weeks ago.   He last pitched on Aug. 20, so we probably won’t see him in this series.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Thanks for the correction.  I sometimes get them confused.  Luna was on the Black team but was moved to Orange a couple of weeks ago.   He last pitched on Aug. 20, so we probably won’t see him in this series.

They’re both 17 and appear to be legit prospects but I believe Mejia throws 2-3 mph harder at this point.  I think Luna is 89-92 and Mejia is more 92-95 but it should be fun to follow both.   Really, between those two, Morfe, Heredia, and Velasco, it’s an interesting bunch.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Warehouse said:

Meija’s fastball was 96-98 in the 1st, averaging ~97.  It was 95-97 in the 4th, averaging ~96.

Velasco’s fastball was 90-94 in the 5th, averaging ~92.  It was 89-92 in the 9th, averaging ~90. 

Also, the great Velasco height mystery is solved.   Listed at 6’11” but apparently that was a typo and I’m guessing he’s probably 6’1” and someone has a heavy typing finger.

Great stuff.   Thanks for finding and posting.

Stellar relief performance by Name I Learned Today Juan Rasquin.

He had a not that great walk rate in season but 7/1 K/BB through 4.1 relief innings (and counting?) today.

Angels starter is finally out of the game - bats have 8 outs left to try and rally from 2-0 down.

Orange fell 3-0, garnering only 6 hits during what turned out to be the season finale.  Still, it was a great season for them and I’ll look forward to following many of these players stateside next year.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Orange fell 3-0, garnering only 6 hits during what turned out to be the season finale.  Still, it was a great season for them and I’ll look forward to following many of these players stateside next year.  

I blame it on:

1. Team leadership

2. The hitters mailed it in

3. The manager lacked fire

4. The team didn’t want it enough

Just release every player on the Orange team to send a message to next years players.   

Sound pretty stupid?    Thank you.

• Haha 1