Live upset thread!

O's are Legends

NEVER pick Clemson to go past Round 2......just don't do it.

Gonzaga will be just fine.

You know what, I told myself I wouldn't do that just last week and I did it anyway.

I figured they would get by Michigan and then they could throw enough bigs at Griffin to wear him down and get him into foul trouble to the point they could beat them.

And then I had ASU beating Syracuse and thought Clemson was just better than ASU....PLus, it would have been bad coaching vs bad coaching there.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only coaches I have respect for and think are good coaches are Gary and Coach K. I don't even think Roy Williams is that good of a coach. With the talent he gets' date=' he should win it all, every year. But I am looking at this in terms of in game coaching, which I don't think Roy does all that well.[/quote']

Well that's pretty silly.

Nobody wins it all every year, its not like he is the only coach in the country that gets that much talent.

And it's not like they have had crappy years.

They won it all in 05, yeah, they lost early in 06, but they went to the Elite 8 and lost in a battle with GTown in 07 and went to the Final 4 last year. This year they are a 1 seed again and have a real good shot to cut down the nets.

What exactly makes Roy not a good coach? I think Roy is very good in game, maybe not as good as K or Gary in game, but very, very good.

You know what, I told myself I wouldn't do that just last week and I did it anyway.

I figured they would get by Michigan and then they could throw enough bigs at Griffin to wear him down and get him into foul trouble to the point they could beat them.

And then I had ASU beating Syracuse and thought Clemson was just better than ASU....PLus, it would have been bad coaching vs bad coaching there.

It definitely would have been that.....Purnell vs Sendek. :puke:

For that very reason, though it goes against my better judgment, I have Syracuse in the Sweet 16.

Just guessing but I think Duke will be the game we see....Duke is always shown here when they play.

Even over the local team?

This is my first tourney living in BMore. I know in NoVa I'd be getting VCU.

Figured we would get the local game until OU was up by 30.

You know I kind of have to agree with what CC is saying.

I don't think Roy is a bad coach or anything, and he certainly had success at Kansas where it's a bit harder to recruit than NC, but he loses games he shouldn't lose. Now, obviously if he's the best team every year, it's unrealistic to think he's going to win the NC every year, but I think if you give K or Gary the talent that he's had the past 5-6 years both at Kansas and NC, that they'd have been to 4 Final Fours and have had 2 championships at least. Obvoiusly I'm holding him to a high standard and where he is now is still better than most coaches in the country, but I don't think he's a top top in game coach.

Give me Gary, K, or Pitino as far as coaching is concerned.

So you take 3 of the best in-game coaches in the country, and say that Roy isn't as good as them, so he isn't a great in-game coach?

That's pretty silly. Roy is a great coach. He was in the Final 4 all the time at KU. Just because he never won it all there doesn't mean he isn't good in games. You play some pretty good teams in the Final 4.

You know I kind of have to agree with what CC is saying.

I don't think Roy is a bad coach or anything, and he certainly had success at Kansas where it's a bit harder to recruit than NC, but he loses games he shouldn't lose. Now, obviously if he's the best team every year, it's unrealistic to think he's going to win the NC every year, but I think if you give K or Gary the talent that he's had the past 5-6 years both at Kansas and NC, that they'd have been to 4 Final Fours and have had 2 championships at least. Obvoiusly I'm holding him to a high standard and where he is now is still better than most coaches in the country, but I don't think he's a top top in game coach.

Give me Gary, K, or Pitino as far as coaching is concerned.

I didn't literally mean he should win it every year, I over exaggerated there. But pointed out above is pretty much what I'm saying. He loses games he shouldn't lose and he doesn't compare to the great coaches, in-game wise. Mediocre coach at best, great recruiter though.

I'm not saying that.

Maybe I think the jury's out on him? It's hard to say because he has the best team. He certainly gets upset more than he should, I will say that. Is that poor game planning, poor motivation, or just the target on his back every game? Tough to say.

I just can't look at that team and see Lawson, Ellington, Green, Tyler, or his NC team with May, Felton, Mccants, and say that validates him as a great coach. Not saying he's not, because I don't think he's proven that he's not, but I don't think he goes in the top 5 or so automatically which is what 95% of basketball fans would put him in off the bat IMO.

I really find coaching at the college level fascinating. It makes such a big difference. I admit I'm a MD fan, but as far as getting as much out of little talent, I don't think anyone tops Gary. Now, that is just as much an indictment on his recruiting, I totally admit. And I don't think his team is up for every game like they should be during the early parts of years.

But give him the talent that a Roy or Dino has, send him into a tournament, and no one will get better results than Gary IMO. Same with Pitino or K.

I agree. He's the best in game coach in the country. Today showed why he's a Hall of Fame coach. It's almost unfair how he abused Mike Montgomery today. Cal had no answer when Gary switched to the zone.

As for Roy, well, no comment. Actually, yes comment, wouldn't a National title, 7 Final Fours, and countless NBA players validate any coach?

I agree. He's the best in game coach in the country. Today showed why he's a Hall of Fame coach. It's almost unfair how he abused Mike Montgomery today. Cal had no answer when Gary switched to the zone.

As for Roy, well, no comment. Actually, yes comment, wouldn't a National title, 7 Final Fours, and countless NBA players validate any coach?

You would think so.

Apparently not for some.

I think Roy Williams would do well where ever he was.

Of course you are gonna lose some games you "shouldn't" when you are always the top team in the country.

Again, I don't think he is better in game than K or Pitino or Gary either. But I mean, those guys are 3 of the all-time greats. I think Roy is a notch below those guys, but right there.

You would think so.

Apparently not for some.

I think Roy Williams would do well where ever he was.

Of course you are gonna lose some games you "shouldn't" when you are always the top team in the country.

Again, I don't think he is better in game than K or Pitino or Gary either. But I mean, those guys are 3 of the all-time greats. I think Roy is a notch below those guys, but right there.

I think K is a bit overrated, but maybe I'm biased. I think his strength is finding players that can fit his system, and then getting them to buy into it. It's why a lot of guys leave Duke too. Once they get there, they realize it's not exactly what they thought it'd be. Ok, sorry.

Roy has won at least one game now in 19 straight NCAA tourneys, an all time record.

Archived