The Yankees in ten game intervals

HowAboutThat

On 6/7/2024 at 7:47 PM, Frobby said:

I’m on record as saying we need a good back end reliever.  I doubt I’d do Basallo for Miller.  It’s tempting though.  

Lucas Ercegg in Oakland has a live arm and would bolster the pen.  He's in a one-year, $750K contract with the A's. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

June 2-June 12

8-2

64-41 run differential

Giants 1-0 

Twins 3-0

Dodgers 1-2

KC 3-0

The Yankees are playing really well. It was said in a recent game thread that they can’t maintain a .700 winning percentage all season, but they are sure running on all 8 cylinders at the moment.

Both teams have a day off next week before their series in NY, but before then, NY gets the Bosox, and the Os get Philly. 
what fun!

Update June 23

The Yankees went 4-6 after a rough patch called Orioles/Braves. They are now tied in the loss column with 28, but NY remains 1.5 games ahead, having played three additional games

0-1 KC

1-2 Boston

1-2 vs Baltimore

1-2 vs Atlanta

• 2 weeks later...

Mar 28-April 7 7-3

April 8-19 6-4

April 20-29 5-5

April 30-May 10 7-3

May 11-21  7-3

May 22-June 1 8-2

june 2-12 8-2

June 13-23 3-7

June 25 - July 5 2-8

0-2 at NYM, 2-2 at TOR, 0-3 vs. CIN, 0-1 vs. BOS

Like I said, nobody plays at the pace the Yankees were playing forever.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mar 28-April 7 7-3

April 8-19 6-4

April 20-29 5-5

April 30-May 10 7-3

May 11-21  7-3

May 22-June 1 8-2

june 2-12 8-2

June 13-23 3-7

June 25 - July 5 2-8

0-2 at NYM, 2-2 at TOR, 0-3 vs. CIN, 0-1 vs. BOS

Like I said, nobody plays at the pace the Yankees were playing forever.

Ha! You beat me to it!

I was going to point out that the yankees have been mainly relying on a phenomenal May, when they were 21-7.

In April they were 15-12

In June, they were only 14-13, but that’s still a winning record.

In July, they are 0-4 getting swept by the Reds and so far 0-1 against the Bosox.

They have made some embarrassing gaffes in the last couple games, including the LAZIEST double play I ever saw. Lemahieu didn’t get into a run down to allow Volpe to score, and Volpe was lollygagging down the third base line towards home plate, actually watching the play at second, and didn’t touch home before the play was over, so the run didn’t score.

Its fair to ask how much the Clubhouse Angst will affect them going forward.

Meanwhile, Cortes has apparently gotten over a brief funk, and is pitching well again, but the bullpen is suffering from some malaise.

The Orioles have been almost magically consistent, winning 17 games in each full month regardless of opponent. 

Good times…

• 2 weeks later...

All-Star break update:

Starting July 6:

1-1 vs Boston (lost that series 1-2)

1-2 vs TB

2-1 vs Baltimore

They open the second half at home against TB.

The Yankees have played two more games than the Orioles and lost them both, and are one game behind the Orioles in the standings.

Ben Rice is worth .02 WAR in 79 ABs, with 6 home runs so far.

Gil and Cole seem to be pitching well again.

The Os control their destiny.

July 20

in their latest 10 game stretch, the Yankees went 5-5, after going 2-8 and 3-7 in their previous 20. Since June 13 they are 10-20.

NY has now played 100 games to a 59-41 record. Only going .500 the rest of the way still gives them 90 wins and a probable WC spot. 

1-1 vs Boston

1-2 vs TB

2-1 vs Baltimore 

1-1 vs TB(including today)

Ben Rice is doing very well, Cortes got blasted today, teams are perfectly willing to walk Judge multiple times a game.

The Yankees fan base is advocating a lot of the same names that the oriole fan base are hoping to get. A peripheral benefit of making good trades is that we can listen to them whine.

I don’t believe in Ben Rice.  He was a mid-level prospect who jumped from AA to the majors due to exigent circumstances.   He’s outperformed expectations by a lot his first time around the league, but I expect teams to figure him out and exploit him.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t believe in Ben Rice.  He was a mid-level prospect who jumped from AA to the majors due to exigent circumstances.   He’s outperformed expectations by a lot his first time around the league, but I expect teams to figure him out and exploit him.  

That brings to mind all the recent chat about descriptive vs predictive stats. 
Twelvth-round draft picks don’t usually have much staying power, but at the moment, Ben Rice might be “the best of the rest,” in the lineup after Soto and Judge. He’s only had 86 ABs, so plenty of time for him to fail, but so far he’s been money.

An interesting tidbit is that the rest of the lineup is so weak that Rice stands out.

I don’t know how deep the Yankees system is, but they are going to need upgrades.

5 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

That brings to mind all the recent chat about descriptive vs predictive stats. 
Twelvth-round draft picks don’t usually have much staying power, but at the moment, Ben Rice might be “the best of the rest,” in the lineup after Soto and Judge. He’s only had 86 ABs, so plenty of time for him to fail, but so far he’s been money.

An interesting tidbit is that the rest of the lineup is so weak that Rice stands out.

I don’t know how deep the Yankees system is, but they are going to need upgrades.

Their lineup is utterly unimpressive except for Soto and Judge.  

2 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Yes, that’s right, but as I said at least so far in very limited action, Rice is doing pretty well

He is, but as I said, it’s my opinion that it won’t last.