How important is this Yankees series, really?

Frobby

5 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I generally do not like beaning anyone. However, it is a way the players police the game at times. It isn’t about “unwritten rules,” or anything else people seem to mock these days. This is about a bully imposing their will on you. Sooner or later, you either stand up for yourself, or roll over and show your belly. Enough is enough.

Holmes hit Kjerstad in the head. Was it intentional? Maybe. I hope he did not hit him in the head intentionally, but his control is very good. He’ll probably say something that “that one got away,” but he stepped right at him. Pretty telling. That is horsebleep!

Why hit Kjerstad? The only thing I can think of is that the Yankees believe that he took out Volpe at 2B? (Sounds like something they would say.) He clearly didn’t, just like Suarez didn’t hit Judge with any intent. Heston’s slide was direct to the base and Volpe landed on him. (I still don’t get the challenge by Boone there.) Why else would they hit him?

You can only turn the other cheek for so long. Pitchers have to pitch inside to be effective. We have been getting Judge out fairly well by pitching inside until last night. We looked afraid to go inside to Judge and Torres. No head-hunting, but a Yankee needs to wear one on the hip or ribs. (Preferably Verdugo. I wish Nestor or Holmes had to hit.) The benches will clear again, punches will be thrown. It’s time. We have to protect our guys. Otherwise, this will continue.

For Hyde to have reacted the way he did, another reason I love Hyder, our dugout has to believe the same as I do.  

Hi Jammer-I can tell the guys on here that have managed!!

At the end of the day to be effective you need to be able to pitch up and in-and not be afraid to do so.

I don't think he hit HK on purpose but that's 10 guys in 8 games, something has to give.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And you can argue that he shouldn’t be jawing at another teams player. Nothing wrong with the Yankees reacting to that.

Depends on what Holmes said. I definitely don't think anyone on either side did anything worth further retaliation. Just spirited competition. IMO Yankees look foolish for complaining about being pitched inside and low class for making fun of an injured player. Hyde has done a great job keeping control of the team and I don't think anything he did last night changes that 

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Depends on what Holmes said. I definitely don't think anyone on either side did anything worth further retaliation. Just spirited competition. IMO Yankees look foolish for complaining about being pitched inside and low class for making fun of an injured player. Hyde has done a great job keeping control of the team and I don't think anything he did last night changes that 

Hyde said he didn't say anything to Holmes, but was yelling at the 3B coach who was standing with Holmes, maybe he lied, maybe he didn't.

Edited by Malike

58 minutes ago, Malike said:

Hyde said he didn't say anything to Holmes, but was yelling at the 3B coach who was standing with Holmes, maybe he lied, maybe he didn't.

Hyde was definitely yelling at Holmes after Kjerstad got hit.  Holmes was walking towards them (perhaps to make sure Kjerstad was ok) and Hyde was yelling F U to him.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Thanks 1

Rewatched the HBP, and the more I see it the more suspicious it looks.  Usually these days when a pitcher accidentally hits a batter in the head he looks very concerned and so does the catcher.  I didn't see that on Holmes.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but didn't see any looks of concern in the Yankees dugout either.

The collision between Volpe and Heston is a little strange too.  With a high throw Volpe didn't have much choice but to jump and fall on Heston, but the way he rolled over his face looked a little suspicious...it seems a bit Machado-esque in that it's a gray area of whether it's on purpose or not...hence why Heston looked angry after he pushed Volpe off him.

Still no convincing evidence, but the more I think about it the more it bothers me...

• Upvote 1

Thanks to the disaster of an MLB commissioner, this series isn't all that important.  This should be a fun and intense summer long fight to win the division.  Three years ago the stakes were high.  What is the big prize now?  Sit for a week after playing 6 months of continuous baseball.  The format before was perfect.  You suck Manfred.

9 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

Thanks to the disaster of an MLB commissioner, this series isn't all that important.  This should be a fun and intense summer long fight to win the division.  Three years ago the stakes were high.  What is the big prize now?  Sit for a week after playing 6 months of continuous baseball.  The format before was perfect.  You suck Manfred.

I get what you are saying but really if we don’t like the format now we should roll It back to pre-2012 with 1 wild card and no Wild card series. That 1 game playin was really dumb…that’s not baseball. I think 8 teams is plenty when you play 162.

2 hours ago, Malike said:

Hyde said Holmes didn't say anything. I didn't hear him deny yelling at Holmes. Either way, water under the bridge.