Bradish TJ-Season and 2025 over

connja

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Really sucks for DC.  May need 3 relievers now 

Yeah 3 would be nice but I think 2 would be manageable. 

Kimbrel, Trade 1, Cano, Trade 2, Perez, Webb, Akin, Suarez 

Seems perfectly fine if they get a guy like Nardi and then an equal or better RHP. Then hopefully Coulombe is back at some point - but can’t count on that.

They definitely need a starter though and preferably one with an extra year of control. Fedde seems like a really good target who could serve as the number 3 this year and is under control for fairly cheap next year too. They have the pieces to get someone better but he would still be an upgrade. 

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Is this perception, or reality? The best athlete can play football in the fall, basketball in the winter and still be an extremely good baseball player in the spring and have a path to develop as a pitcher when their bodies are ready for that stress.

If it's the perception than it's the perception that guides the reality.

Just now, G54377 said:

Was his 39 innings this year really worth sacrificing basically the entire 2025 season? 

Do you operate on someone when the professionals say it isn't needed?

It kills me when fans go "Just give him the surgery now."  Surgery should be a last resort, not a first response.

Some guys avoid surgery after rehabbing partial tears.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It kills me when fans go "Just give him the surgery now."  Surgery should be a last resort, not a first response.

What percentage of guys actually recover from that injury without surgery? like 1 out of 50? 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Keyboard warriors say some crazy stuff. I would never voluntarily undergo a preventive surgery just so I can get back to my job faster.

1 minute ago, G54377 said:

What percentage of guys actually recover from that injury without surgery? like 1 out of 50? 

What if it is?

It is not as if everyone recovers fully from TJ surgery.

You shouldn't operate on someone if the professionals think it isn't needed.

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Is this perception, or reality? The best athlete can play football in the fall, basketball in the winter and still be an extremely good baseball player in the spring and have a path to develop as a pitcher when their bodies are ready for that stress.

They don’t much anymore though at least around here.  I coach at high school level and I would say most of the top pitchers who are recruited are one sport stars.  Most the two and three sport guys are just the athletes, your outfielders and stuff like that.  It only one area but of the top 10 pitchers last few years that been drafted I think 2 played more then one sport off tp my head.  1 football and 1 basketball.  

5 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Was his 39 innings this year really worth sacrificing basically the entire 2025 season? 

If he is back in say August or September 2025 I could be good with that tradeoff. I wish they had really babied him so we could have had 39 good innings in September and October. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Keyboard warriors say some crazy stuff. I would never voluntarily undergo a preventive surgery just so I can get back to my job faster.

We don't know what the actual discussion was with his injury. It could have literally been "There's a 5% chance you can get through this via rehab". We did the same thing with Bautista. Don't act like looking at this the opposite way means you have any better idea of what the injury looked like back in March than I did.

Just now, G54377 said:

We don't know what the actual discussion was with his injury. It could have literally been "There's a 5% chance you can get through this via rehab". We did the same thing with Bautista. Don't act like looking at this the opposite way means you have any better idea of what the injury looked like back in March than I did.

If they did and he wanted to do the rehab I don't have a problem with it.

I've had two surgeries in the last five years and I delayed both of them as long as was feasible and I'll probably do the same the next time something comes up.

I'm a firm believer that the stress of surgery and recovery takes something out of the body that, at least my age, doesn't come back.

These are some guys that were back pitching in majors about a year later from surgery date.  I am sure there is more now so end of 2025 not out of question.  Smoltz was back in 13 months.  Strausburg in 12 months.  Weighnwright was 13 months but that was more start of the season as he was pitching in spring training 12 months after his surgery on Feb 28.  Rich Hill was back in 11 months.  All those were 10+ years ago so have we improved the technology and understanding to make the return even shorter?  I would think 10 months and he is pitching in live action if he has no set backs is possible.  

1 minute ago, G54377 said:

We know that a doctor did not say surgery was necessary. 5% or 20%, it is absurd to ask an employee to undergo a voluntary surgery that is deemed not necessary by a doctor.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

If they did and he wanted to do the rehab I don't have a problem with it.

I've had two surgeries in the last five years and I delayed both of them as long as was feasible and I'll probably do the same the next time something comes up.

I'm a firm believer that the stress of surgery and recovery takes something out of the body that, at least my age, doesn't come back.

Yea I get that way of thinking. I just personally think surgery was always going to be necessary here. An now we get basically nothing from Bradish in 2024 OR 2025. I'm not an expert, and I don't know what the injury looked like 6 months ago. But neither does anyone else on here. Simply saying "trust the people that made the decision" is a bit simplistic.